AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Retox - Ugly Animals Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 10
Production 8.75
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 96%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 10
Production 9
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 93%

Retox - Ugly Animals

Reviewed by: Zookeeper156 (01/21/12)
Retox- Ugly Animals
Record label - Three One G/ Ipecac
Release date - August 30, 2011

Fast. Vulgar. Catchy.

Thats how music is done, folks. Retox is a band based out of San Fransisco, California and carries members of the legendary band, The Locusts. Much like their label mates on Three One G, this band never slows down, not even for a second. They are constantly in your face during the entire album. Which is refreshing, because who know's what to do when the music gets slow at a show? Not me.

I have absolutely no complaints about this album, except for one. IT'S TOO SHORT. Every song is less than 2 minutes long. I would love for this album to go on forever, because when its over, you get depressed and feel like you just got in a car wreck. Listening to this band makes you feel like you've been on 5 day bender and you don't have a place to sleep so you keep running and you never stop.

The musicianship is the best I've heard along time, and as for the lyrics? They are deliciously disgusting. Such as in the song "Cement Sucking" Justin Pearson goes on to yell "Procrastinated rapist, shat through his loose teeth. He shat right in the highest of places." It doesn't do any good to say how great the instrumentation on every song is, but it still needs to be said. It is the most creative and fast-paced thing I have ever had the pleasure of letting violate my ears.

Every song comes at you like a train, not holding anything back whatsover and leaving you to ache. The guitars are technical and creative, while the drumming is at a unholy level of fast. Songs like "Thirty Cents Shy Of A Quarter" and " A Bastard On Fathers Day" has that creative spark that all music needs, and is very technically demanding.

Other songs like "Stick In A Fork In It" and "Piss Elegant" are what make this album hold its own and got itself put on the Alternative Press Top 10 albums of 2011. The swollen anger in "Stick A Fork In It" makes you want to get up and break everything in your own home, and "Piss Elegant" is the oddest track on the album because of its use of a spanish-like guitar solo and the catchiest drumming as well as a simple muted riff verse that is reminiscent of NYC punk bands like black flag.

"Boredom Is Counter-Revolutionary" is gem of the album to say the least. It has a strong echoed guitar that suddenly bursts into what may be the fastest song on Ugly Animals as well as the strangest lyrics.

Ugly Animals, in my opinion, is the most refreshing thing I've heard in a while that's actually been promoted and shown off rather then kept hidden in snobby music blogs like a lot of other bands. Its energetic, different, and keeps you on your feet. If you're tired of the constant Pop Punk or Hardcore scene, give this album a listen, and hopefully it'll give you a chance to experience something completely unusual and exciting. This band certainly lets their freak flag fly, and isn't ashamed to do so. Which is needed in a sometimes boring music scene. If you don't listen to this album, you are certainly missing out on something truly extraordinary, and that would be a shame wouldn't it?

Recommended If You LikeThe Blood Brothers, Bear VS Shark, The Dillinger Escape Plan

www.facebook.com/RETOXRULES

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests