AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Digital by Birth - 01.25.12

Digital by Birth - 01.25.12

Interviewed by
Digital by Birth - 01.25.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Digital By Birth

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Digita...18345198237151

1. How did you get your band name?
I wanted something that fit with my weird world view and the style of the band. Spent weeks thinking of one then this one seemed to fit.

2. How did this band get started?
I was messing around making music for years - bad music - taping it and upsetting my mates by playing it for them. Then at some point I started actually writting songs. Anyhow one night I made a random 3-minute beat on my Playstation, did some stream-of-consciousness vocals and decided I wanted to get my best mate who we'll call Trent Water to do some guitar over it. At the time Trent was in another emo band but he came round and showed me something he'd made up the night before, played it and it fit the beat in both length and style. To this day this fluked, rushed-out tune is still the one that's most popular with our circle of friends!!

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Personally, Atari Teenage Riot started it all for me. It was so lo-fi and raw, I thought, "yeah I could do this too!" So I got a mixing desk and music program for my games console and started making music. Bad Religion and Hatebreed are my biggest influences lyrically. In particular, with Bad Religion, I like the way they can write a political essay with only two lines of a song, and that's something I wanted to capture in my own work. I guess NIN were a big influence on me as well, certainly programming wise anyhow, and Refused in song writting. As for Trent he says the biggest influence on his guitar playing is the band Hell Is for Heros and Weezer.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
We don't play live. We're purely a bedroom, studio band BUT if we did?? Hmmm. The Beastie Boys. I think that would have been fun.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Hmmm. I try to stay healthy but I gotta be honest: it'd be junk food all the way! That and beers.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Well I gotta say most people ain't gonna like us. It's a weird mix of punk, metal, industrial and hip hop, and it's real lo-fi so it's pretty different. But yeah if you like raw, unique and challenging music then you should plug in!!

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
I would die if I ran more than ten metres!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Mum, dad and God.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Ah good one! I'd stop mainstream artists from being able to sample or re-sing parts from hit records from the past. It's just plane lazy. You get some asshole like Chipmunk attempting to rap, and the only bit you remember from the song is the bit he stole from Elton John! I personally like samples, but there's a hell of a difference between making something new from a sample and just using one to get a hit. Having said that I'd like to make sampling music and movies legal with out copyright clearance because as an Indie Artist I find that really limits my work. So there you go: there's my somewhat confusing answer!

10. Memorable tour experience?
Again don't tour and I won't horrify you with any of the stories from my life. All I'll say is girls and Kentucky Fried Chicken don't mix!

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
You know I'm fairly new to it so I don't know yet. . .

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Don't Buy

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Finland, when I see my girl there.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Kiss, Aerosmith, Queen and En Vogue. Weird childhood huh?

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
God-like powers like the movie Bruce Almighty. Think about it, whatever situation, you got the abilities to match!

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Beer and vomiting

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
What we look like.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
No.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I write make art, womanise and drink

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
See above. . .

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
11:45 AM on 02/07/13
digitalbybirth
User Info.
You know looking back on this I sounded like a reet asshole! Lol.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos