Username
Password
Blog News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Blog
Inside AP.net

Blog: Community Records

Posted by: Adam Pfleider (01/26/12)
A lot of people think the biggest perk to this job is meeting your favorite bands. For me, it's meeting the people that back those bands. Generally, they're the biggest fans. I'm speaking about label owners. I've written a piece pertaining to them and the bands that make up their small communities. The biggest question I want you to think about is what does a label mean to you past the music? Is it just a brand? Besides the music it puts out, what else about your favorite label makes you gain garner interest in it?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
06:05 AM on 01/26/12
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
It's cool that you made this post today actually.
In the past, I've certainly had a "trustworthy" relationship with labels. Meaning, if lets say..Run For Cover puts out a new LP like Young Statues or Seahaven, I'll check it out. And I checked those out because I had never really heard either band before, but I know RFC typically puts out music that I enjoy.

However, I was in a class yesterday where one of the founders of Jade Tree Records was talking to us and he said they purposely put out all types of different music so kids wouldn't just buy the label's music based off of trust. Ie, they wanted you to buy The Promise Ring's LP not just because you liked Jade Tree's last Lifetime release, but because you actually liked The Promise Ring.

I've been thinking about that a little bit more now and I've found it kind of interesting.
06:06 AM on 01/26/12
flyingmonkey711
User Info.
Well done sir. Well done.
06:29 AM on 01/26/12
icynova
Love is easier made than kept!
User Info.
I feel like this topic would have been very popular in the bygone era of Drive-Thru/Equal Vision/Tooth&Nail/Facedown/Trustkill/Victory Records. Currently though, it seems that people are less aware (or less interested) in the label's involvement in their favorite band(s) - with the possible exception of "Rise."
08:09 AM on 01/26/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
It's cool that you made this post today actually.
In the past, I've certainly had a "trustworthy" relationship with labels. Meaning, if lets say..Run For Cover puts out a new LP like Young Statues or Seahaven, I'll check it out. And I checked those out because I had never really heard either band before, but I know RFC typically puts out music that I enjoy.

However, I was in a class yesterday where one of the founders of Jade Tree Records was talking to us and he said they purposely put out all types of different music so kids wouldn't just buy the label's music based off of trust. Ie, they wanted you to buy The Promise Ring's LP not just because you liked Jade Tree's last Lifetime release, but because you actually liked The Promise Ring.

I've been thinking about that a little bit more now and I've found it kind of interesting.
interesting point. also, I love Jade Tree!
08:32 AM on 01/26/12
imagination
/ignitetheknown
User Info.
Great read.
09:03 AM on 01/26/12
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
really good blog, Adam. I suppose I don't pay as much attention to specific labels anymore. Drive-Thru was the only one I ever cared enough about to buy records based on the name
09:06 AM on 01/26/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
The diversification of in signings from labels makes it less likely for me to follow "everything" from one label or another. In the end, it's the music ... always the music. But the label, at least for me, will give me some idea of what I can probably expect (from production budget, to sound, etc.).
09:11 AM on 01/26/12
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.
I would say that I would follow a label that has excellent customer service, puts their bands and the fans before themselves, and, probably the most important, signs talented bands who put out good music consistently. With such a large talent pool, hand picking your favorites can be a challenge.

With that being said, I would put No Sleep Records at the top of my list. The offer some sweet stuff, awesome packages. I had a delivery question that I asked on facebook and it was answered in 90 seconds flat. Oh, and they have a real beefy line-up.
09:19 AM on 01/26/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
The diversification of in signings from labels makes it less likely for me to follow "everything" from one label or another. In the end, it's the music ... always the music. But the label, at least for me, will give me some idea of what I can probably expect (from production budget, to sound, etc.).

exactly.
09:24 AM on 01/26/12
AShannon04
http://drewshannon.net
User Info.
Did The Militia Group ever officially announce that they were no more? That was always one of my favorite labels (The Jealous Sound, Umbrellas, Copeland, Lakes, Brandtson, etc.)
09:29 AM on 01/26/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
Did The Militia Group ever officially announce that they were no more? That was always one of my favorite labels (The Jealous Sound, Umbrellas, Copeland, Lakes, Brandtson, etc.)
of what I found, it looks like they're still active...just no activity...
09:31 AM on 01/26/12
AShannon04
User Info.
of what I found, it looks like they're still active...just no activity...
Oh ok. Their website hasn't been update in over a year, so I didn't know if maybe they just...stopped.
09:36 AM on 01/26/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
Oh ok. Their website hasn't been update in over a year, so I didn't know if maybe they just...stopped.
i heard about a year ago that it was inactive. but it was hearsay and not from a direct source. it's kind of the same thing from our perspective that happened to Drive Thru. It just sort of stopped getting updated. everyone assumed it was dead.
09:42 AM on 01/26/12
AShannon04
User Info.
What did you mean by?:

Quote:
That's one of the main reasons I brought up Vagrant as an example earlier. I just think that any label pumping money into a band for the wrong reasons is not only doing a disservice to music fans, but also to the band as well.

Maybe I missed the story...
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums