AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 22 of 22
11:03 AM on 01/26/12
sargenthouse
User Info.
I think you wrote an excellent piece Adam. hats off for noticing what's going on with the new labels that stand for fans and quality and community.
11:16 AM on 01/26/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
What did you mean by?:

Maybe I missed the story...
oh, you read that the wrong way.

"'m not saying that a label doesn't have a right to reinvent themselves and grow-up and still release quality music they believe in. That's one of the main reasons I brought up Vagrant as an example earlier."

earlier in the post I talked about Vagrant changing their demographic to an extent.

I was defending them. Just saying a label, the fan who started it, has a right to shift their musical tastes as long as the music is good. Vagrant still puts out GOOD music. I've heard from numerous bands about a few labels who have signed bands because the band will just "make them money" and I'm not okay with that. If they are stoked on that band, subjectivity aside, that's fine, I'm all for it. If they're not, and it's just to make financial gain - I think that's bullshit all around.

I'm not calling out any label in particular, and I don't plan to, they know who they are if they're doing this. The point is, a label should be a community of musicians that believe in each other and feed off of each others talents. The person in charge of putting out their music should believe in them in return.

best example. I don't like Falling in Reverse. I think Brett does. He believes in him. Though we don't agree, I know he backs that band pretty hard. I have no problem with that. Do I like the music, will I support it? No. Does that I mean I give up on Epitaph? No.
11:18 AM on 01/26/12
oneeightytwo
#TGG
User Info.
Some good points tbh.

No Sleep is a label, who I would check out new releases from past experiences. RFC are similar too.
11:26 AM on 01/26/12
AShannon04
http://drewshannon.net
User Info.
oh, you read that the wrong way.

"'m not saying that a label doesn't have a right to reinvent themselves and grow-up and still release quality music they believe in. That's one of the main reasons I brought up Vagrant as an example earlier."

earlier in the post I talked about Vagrant changing their demographic to an extent.

I was defending them. Just saying a label, the fan who started it, has a right to shift their musical tastes as long as the music is good. Vagrant still puts out GOOD music. I've heard from numerous bands about a few labels who have signed bands because the band will just "make them money" and I'm not okay with that. If they are stoked on that band, subjectivity aside, that's fine, I'm all for it. If they're not, and it's just to make financial gain - I think that's bullshit all around.

I'm not calling out any label in particular, and I don't plan to, they know who they are if they're doing this. The point is, a label should be a community of musicians that believe in each other and feed off of each others talents. The person in charge of putting out their music should believe in them in return.

best example. I don't like Falling in Reverse. I think Brett does. He believes in him. Though we don't agree, I know he backs that band pretty hard. I have no problem with that. Do I like the music, will I support it? No. Does that I mean I give up on Epitaph? No.
Fair enough, I just didn't know if maybe I was out of the loop or something. Thanks for clarifying!
11:30 AM on 01/26/12
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
My two favorite labels are probably Paper/Plastick and SideOneDummy. Most of that is really just liking the bands on the labels, but beyond that I love P+P because of how they embrace multicolored viynl and really seem to just 'get' it and both S1D and P+P because I think having someone who has been in the music business from the artist side (like Vinnie and Joe Sib have) running things makes it easier to feel like the labels chief priority is helping bands make great music rather than making themselves lots of money and I think this shows in the quality of the albums that come out on both labels.
12:15 PM on 01/26/12
Acad08
@explorerbri
User Info.
A reason for me to be a fan of my favorite labels (aside from the music they release) is actually how they treat their artists and also the communication between the two entities.

I think it's really important for both the label and the artist to always know what's going on with the other in order for each to run efficiently!
09:42 PM on 01/26/12
mickmadethelist
Troy and Abed on the iiiiiinternet
User Info.
If the label is doing it right, they become a trustworthy brand. Honestly, I know that ANYTHING Bridge 9 puts out will be good. It can help introduce you to new music, as well as put a voice behind it. Its small, but I appreciate knowing who is working behind the labels rather than just knowing the label they are on. It's interesting to actually know the names of the people behind Bridge 9, No Sleep, Run For Cover, P+P, and others. Its almost comforting to know that not only will hey be the ones actually packing your online order, but they truly give a shit if anything goes wrong.
I have an ongoing issue with Livenation right now, and they gave me a bullshit standard "we will address this within 48 business hours." But I know if I tweet to Side One Dummy, they will do everything to make it right immediately.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos