AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Ace Enders News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

American Dream Records Interview About Ace Vinyl Delay

Posted by - 10:42 AM on 01/26/12
If you were reading the TOYPAJ vinyl thread yesterday, you may have seen parts of a side conversation about American Dream Records' and the Ace Ender's vinyl release. Joe, the label owner, talked to Modern-Vinyl in more detail about what happened. A relevant excerpt can be found below.
Excerpt from InterviewTo be honest, you could say that at first the delay was somewhat our fault. We had approached Ace and Jenn about putting out Gold Rush and then when everything came together we realized that their release date was a couple of weeks away and we were barely getting everything approved. However, we as a company made a decision to put up a preorder, a decision that we felt was right at the time. We wanted to make sure that the vinyl was available for purchase the date that the album was released. We didnít want Aceís fans to go and buy it on iTunes (or CD) and then realize that 3 months later it would be out on vinyl also. We wanted them to have the option from the beginning. Because of this, the preorder was put up way too early and we didnít actually receive the records until about 3 months later.

We received an email from the pressing plant one week before the albums were done (in August) and at this point we checked in to see if Ace had finished the lyrics and to see what was going on with them. We emailed and texted both him and Jenn (his wife/manager) stating that it was very important that we get the lyrics sent to us so we can get these out on time. This obviously didnít happen for quite some time. Ace tweeted a couple of times that the lyrics were being finished or that he had sent them out, however, we never had actually received them. We continued to text/email/call him trying to get him to send them over the next few months. We only received the lyrics in the past week. We sent out a tweet and an email update letting everyone know that we had the lyrics and that the records were going out shortly.

However, what we received lyric wise wasnít what we expected. In the box we received 9 songs handwritten by Ace and a bunch of other blank sheets of paper.

At this point, as a label we are like, what do we do now? It took 8 months from the time of the pre-order just to get these, how are we going to get this done for every single person? So we talked about it and decided that we simply couldnít wait any longer and we had to go with what we were given, even if it wasnít what we had expected. These records had to go out, and the only thing to do was make copies of the lyric sheets so everyone would get something. We also decided to include an extra copy of the record to try and make up for things as best we could. We didnít include the original copies because that wouldnít have been fair for the other 41 people that ended up with copies and 9 other people got the real deal. It might have made those 9 people a bit more satisfied, but it didnít seem right. It wasnít like the Willy Wonka style sheets we had done for The Graduate record where we had explained from the beginning thatís how it would be.

The only other option would have been for us to say fuck sending any lyric sheets, give Ace all the addresses for where the sheets need to go, and hope that eventually someday they were written and delivered. That would have been a logistical nightmare, and like we said, we had already waited 8 months to get 9 sheets of paper.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 69
10:49 AM on 01/26/12
IAmAmazing
I want to beLIEve
User Info.
Wait. So I can order Gold Rush on vinyl?
10:52 AM on 01/26/12
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Yeah the situation sucks, but this is why major labels and bigger indies make sure to have all materials needed before they set up special deals or pre-orders
10:54 AM on 01/26/12
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
At least he's up front with what went wrong. RJ has just been bullshitting about TOYPAJ and why the delays have been occurring.
10:57 AM on 01/26/12
InTheatersNow
Suck My Balls
User Info.
Great "label"
10:57 AM on 01/26/12
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
I think Thomas made the point yesterday? But I suppose it is really a great idea for the label to at least have test pressings/hard copies of the vinyl when launching orders. Not that that's relevant to what happened with Joe, but yeah
10:59 AM on 01/26/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I think Thomas made the point yesterday? But I suppose it is really a great idea for the label to at least have test pressings/hard copies of the vinyl when launching orders. Not that that's relevant to what happened with Joe, but yeah
Yep.

Weird situation though ... cause say it does go up for order and there isn't a vinyl option ... then ADR is doing all the press for the vinyl release themselves, without the push coming from the full album announcement.

11:04 AM on 01/26/12
sjb2k1
8-7, sack orton
User Info.
probably should have told people that before they opened their package to a single photocopy. live and learn i guess.
11:10 AM on 01/26/12
akster
Gabe Bravo
User Info.
Wait. So I can order Gold Rush on vinyl?
Yes.
11:16 AM on 01/26/12
CollectiveConfusion
User Info.
This is a tough situation, but people on here are taking it WAY too far...
11:21 AM on 01/26/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Does reading that website hurt anyone else's eyes? Holy shit, I just see a bunch of lines now. Who thought it was a good idea to have white text on an entire big-ass black background? I think I want to cry. This is way worse than waiting 8 months for a piece of vinyl that has music inside of it.
11:21 AM on 01/26/12
ReadyForAction
life in the greenhouse effect
User Info.
Well it seems like the issue is Ace not doing what he was contracted to do.
11:22 AM on 01/26/12
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Yep.

Weird situation though ... cause say it does go up for order and there isn't a vinyl option ... then ADR is doing all the press for the vinyl release themselves, without the push coming from the full album announcement.

That's totally true. I can sympathize with Joe on that completely. And I'm not trying to "smack talk" Joe or Ace, but I'm aware too that communication was just kind of crappy throughout their whole ordeal.

I don't think it's the end of the world to launch vinyl after an album is released, but only if the artist can do an okay job of promoting it. And once again with ADR/Ace, it just didn't seem like Ace did all that much to help promote it. If I were a band/artist, it wouldn't be the best of the world to set a reminder in my calendar every other week to tweet or post about buying the vinyl or something like that. You know?
11:22 AM on 01/26/12
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Does reading that website hurt anyone else's eyes? Holy shit, I just see a bunch of lines now. Who thought it was a good idea to have white text on an entire big-ass black background? I think I want to cry. This is way worse than waiting 8 months for a piece of vinyl that has music inside of it.
Didn't you hear? That's what Jason based AP3.0 off of..
11:24 AM on 01/26/12
troubledbyinsects
~
User Info.
lol

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT