AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Air I Breathe, The - Great Faith In Fools Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 6
Lyrics 6
Production 6
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 60%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 6.75
Production 7
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 76%

Air I Breathe, The - Great Faith In Fools

Reviewed by: Niko John (01/28/12)
The Air I Breathe - Great Faith In Fools
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: June 6, 2011

I feel like there are at least two types of music listeners in the world. Someone who can tune out and just rock out/relax to a song and someone who wants variety in the songs, who almost dissects each song, really comparing it to other bands. The Air I Breathe's debut album Great Faith In Fools is definitely for the former type of people.

If you are looking for an album that is one 30 minute long song of badass technical death-metal, non-stop, then you have come to the right place. That is essentially what Great Faith In Fools is. Obviously the album doesn't have that much variety; or any for that matter. Every song sounds so incredibly similar to each other that by the end of the album it's almost annoying. It's like the second half of Transformers 3. There is so much destruction, robot fighting, death and war that at first you're like "Oh my god. This. is. AMAZING!!." Then forty minutes later you're like "Yeah there are still a lot of explosions..........still a lot of robots and explosions....yup still going on." It becomes numbing after awhile and you start to not care about what you are seeing (or hearing) to a certain point. Around song seven you start to zone out and almost enter the Twilight Zone because it all starts to blend together.

Now extreme lack of diversity between the songs aside, these guys have some of the best guitar work I have heard in a long time. It comes close to August Burns Red technicality at some points. The vocals, at least the screams, are great. Some people have complained that the screams are too "airy". I can see where they are coming from, but I love them. They don't sound like other screams even if they do sound "airy" or "thin". Now the clean vocals is where it starts to slide like an avalanche. The vocals can range from being quite good, "Here's to Letting Go", to, for a lack of a better term, stupid, "For What It's Worth." Although there are barely any clean vocals in the album, so if you don't like them they won't hinder your listening experience that much.

The Air I Breathe have created a debut album that will have moshers, like myself, rejoicing. For everyone else who wants more substance in their music, Great Faith In Fools is not for you at all. Although the guitar work is incredible and the screams are quite good, you start to become immune to it's craziness toward the second act. But it is still a insane ride that will leave you begging for more; for the first half at least.

6/10

Additional InformationMyspace
Twitter
Facebook

Recommended If You Like:
Miss May I, The Word Alive, August Burns Red, Parkway Drive

Track Listing:
1. The Inevitable
2. Take This to Heart
3. Deliverance
4. Desolate and Disowned
5. For What It's Worth
6. Vultures
7. The Life They Promised
8. Here's To Letting Go
9. XIII
10. The Awakening

Members:

Tony Dougard - Vocals
Greg Diamond - Drums
Cam Baptista - Guitar
Jesse Butler - Guitar
Colin Klika - Bass

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7.
12:23 PM on 01/30/12
HanLuk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
There's some good stuff on this. Nothing too spectacular, the guitar is stellar in some parts though.
02:02 PM on 01/30/12
t00latef0rr0ses
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
User Info.
This gets spun at the gym on the reg. I can put up two extra 45s on my bench press because of this brutality filling my ears.
05:56 PM on 01/30/12
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
I say shred wise, this band exceeds August Burn Red. They need to work on song structure an song writing in general to be on the same quality though. Good review!
04:48 PM on 02/01/12
AmongthechosenX
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I saw them at a local Show in Jersey with Crimson Armada, they are pretty freakin bangin for sure
08:10 AM on 02/04/12
Sinkytown
Slowking
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ABR never set the high bar re: technicality.
08:39 AM on 02/05/12
Niko John
Music Lover
User Info.
ABR never set the high bar re: technicality.
That is probably true, but I feel like that is what they are best known for. Hard-hitting, fast and technically impressive songs.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS