Password

Album Review

Zelliack - Noir Tone Album Cover

Zelliack - Noir Tone

Reviewed by
Zelliack - Noir Tone EP
Record Label - Unsigned
Release Date - February 1, 2012
It must have been hard to package so much sexy into five songs, but Elliot Coleman and Zack Ordway are sexy people. Their pedigree hardly hinted at Zelliack’s sound; you can’t hear any Sky Eats Airplane, Of Legends, Killtrox or TesseracT here. The soultastic tunes of Noir Tone are way out of left field, and fans of Foxy Shazam, fun., and anything peculiar and groovy should latch on to this immediately.

Trying to mentally prepare for Coleman’s vocal range is damn near impossible – his highs make Justin Hawkins sound like Scott Stapp. Elliot’s immense combination of power, control, and range is a little absurd at times, and possibly overwhelming for a brief moment; it takes a minute to absorb all the awesome headed your way, especially after a nutty opener like “Autumn In Analog.” What comes out of that man’s mouth is incredible and virtually unmatched by his contemporaries.

Ordway’s funky contributions are just as otherworldly as his counterpart’s, with all kinds of jazz fusion, prog, and R&B rhythms completing the tunes. Each track is musically tasteful and technical, channeling every influence imaginable. Take “Hargrove” for example – the movement would be as comfortable in a swanky lounge as a salsa club. I half-expected K-Pop to make its way into “Without A Doubt” (thankfully, it’s just more of Elliot’s sensational singing). No matter which direction the guys take the song, it always works.

There really isn’t a flaw in the entire release. Noir Tone is fantastic EP full of the most original jingles we’ll hear this year, and you can pay-what-you-want for it on BandCamp. Go surround yourself in sexy.

Recommended If You Like Foxy Shazam, Jazz, Baby Makin' Music.

Tracklist and Goodies1. Autumn In Analog
2. Hargrove
3. Without A Doubt
4. These Hands
5. Call Me Old Fashioned

BandCamp
Cool Vid of Zack and Elliot playing a demo live.

Come tweet at meI don't bite, and you may even find me humorous (or learn to hate the Lakers)
This review is a user submitted review from Jack Appleby. You can see all of Jack Appleby's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
08:16 PM on 02/01/12
nateisbliss
Impulse Artists
User Info.
recommendation of the year so far
09:25 PM on 02/01/12
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
i read the first sentence and thats about all i need. ill go buy soon.
12:06 AM on 02/02/12
Prae Omnia
User Info.
Baby makin' music you say? Color me intrigued.
02:39 AM on 02/02/12
TheOtherAndrew
3-0 (1-0 Sun Belt)
User Info.
You had me at RIYL Foxy Shazam.
03:19 AM on 02/02/12
Michael1002
Attack and Rescue Mikkelles
User Info.
Mhew, took a listen. I will not make love during this record
09:37 AM on 02/02/12
cherrycokewhore
Registered Pokémon Trainer
User Info.
This is completely fucking awesome. I feel like shit for not paying more than a dollar so I'm going to go back and buy another copy for somebody else.
10:01 AM on 02/02/12
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Perfect EP is perfect. His voice definitely brings Anthony Green to mind in this setting. The whole thing really sounds like a funky Circa Survive.
10:08 AM on 02/02/12
Quijiba
User Info.
wow, this is pleasantly awesome
12:53 PM on 02/02/12
Rob McWilliams
Eat your salad, no dessert
User Info.
Incredible.

Also Jack, how come every time I want to review an EP you beat me to it? First Wha Happen? and now this...
02:00 PM on 02/02/12
Capulet
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
amazing e.p
12:58 AM on 02/03/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Perfect EP is perfect. His voice definitely brings Anthony Green to mind in this setting. The whole thing really sounds like a funky Circa Survive.
Blah. I love Anthony Green, but I hate that he's the barometer for success as a vocalist. Elliot sounds nothing like Anthony to me. What in his voice do you hear that sounds like Anthoy?
09:59 AM on 02/03/12
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Blah. I love Anthony Green, but I hate that he's the barometer for success as a vocalist. Elliot sounds nothing like Anthony to me. What in his voice do you hear that sounds like Anthoy?
His intonation is different but he's got a very similar range. When he's pushing his voice he doesn't sound as much like Anthony but in the more relaxed bits it's there. I think Hargrove is where I get it the most, less on the other songs.

There are brief flashes of Circa in the instrumentals, too. They're small and usually they're gone almost before I notice it but it's there.
12:31 PM on 02/03/12
Andy Young
@YayItsAndy
User Info.
I was stoked when I heard they were doing a side project but I definitely didn't expect it to be anything like this. Pleasantly surprised though, I dig it.
02:31 PM on 02/03/12
popo
I love it when you call me big popo
User Info.
foxy shazam? lolwut

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT