Password

Album Review

Beck - Sea Change Album Cover

Beck - Sea Change

Reviewed by
BeckSea Change
Record Label: Geffen Records
Released: September 24, 2002
This review is a user submitted review from WarpSpeedChewy. You can see all of WarpSpeedChewy's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
11:39 PM on 08/24/07
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
this album is absolutely incredible and I'm so happy that someone else on this site appreciates it to the same degree as i do. Failed to mention Paper Tiger tho, which I think is the best song he's ever written. It's so moody and perfect.
12:11 AM on 08/25/07
quiksilver21k
User Info.
Perfect album...I can listen to this album on rainy days, Sundays, or any day that I am feeling a little less "rockin" than the others.
12:34 AM on 08/25/07
RonMexico
bitte orca
User Info.
This is a great album, but the ranking is much too high. It puts itself into a ditch and never really digs itself out. Though I feel like that's what Beck was going for, it does little for listener. It hits a range and never leaves it. It's a great work, but not a 92.
02:26 AM on 08/25/07
fluke182
Burning bicycles for revenge
User Info.
Comic thread represent! Great review man, underrated album.
11:57 AM on 08/25/07
ListenToIt
Failure
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It stands out because it's the most [only?] really straightforward thing he's done. But by no means is this made for casual/in the car/at the party/chilling with your friends listening. If you're in the mood for it, it's absolutely perfect, but it really sucks being in the mood for it, you know?
04:21 PM on 08/25/07
WarpSpeedChewy
You know Elvis had a twin brother?
User Info.
this album is absolutely incredible and I'm so happy that someone else on this site appreciates it to the same degree as i do. Failed to mention Paper Tiger tho, which I think is the best song he's ever written. It's so moody and perfect.
Same here. Sea Change is one of my favorite albums of all time and quite possibly my favorite Beck album. I thought it deserved some more recognition. I know I didn't mention Paper Tiger but I didn't want to go through all of the songs. I did talk about "End of the Day" but it was edited out after the final version of the review left my hands.

This is a great album, but the ranking is much too high. It puts itself into a ditch and never really digs itself out. Though I feel like that's what Beck was going for, it does little for listener. It hits a range and never leaves it. It's a great work, but not a 92.
I don't think it digs itself into a ditch. The strength and quality of the songs was more than enough to keep my interest. For what Beck was going for, I think he did a close to perfect job.

Comic thread represent! Great review man, underrated album.
Word. I'm glad you and everyone else liked the review.
08:33 PM on 10/20/07
Frankie_Nyght
User Info.
It's funny you say this record is more about acoustic guitar than turntables which it is, but that's what he brought up on, check out his first two record, Sterophonic Soul Manure and One Foot In The Grave, it's more Mississippi John Hurt influnced and even bluegrass at points with songs like, He's a Mighty Good Leader on One Foot in the Grave and the Hillarious Satan Gave Me A Taco on Sterophonic Soul Manure, I would have to disagree with you however when you say "almost as if doing something normal is actually outside of the norm for the type of varied career he has" becuase no only are his first two records (that I mentioned above) acoustically driven, also more than half of Mellow Gold is Acoustically Driven as well, not to mention very much underated 1999's Mutations which has the track Bottle of Blues which was originally written for Johnny Cash, but Mr. Beck felt it wasn't good enough for the Man in Black. Not only was this the perfect time for this kind of record in Beck's career, given his break up with his long time girlfriend influenced the record lyrically, but he also relaized that he was become predicatable with Midnight Vultures, with songs like Sex Laws & Debra, So for true blue Beck fans this album was completly predictable, this was the record that we all knew that Beck was born to make. I will say kudos on the Hank Williams comparsions, not many people pick up on that.
11:45 AM on 10/29/07
WarpSpeedChewy
You know Elvis had a twin brother?
User Info.
I would have to disagree with you however when you say "almost as if doing something normal is actually outside of the norm for the type of varied career he has" becuase no only are his first two records (that I mentioned above) acoustically driven, also more than half of Mellow Gold is Acoustically Driven as well, not to mention very much underated 1999's Mutations which has the track Bottle of Blues which was originally written for Johnny Cash, but Mr. Beck felt it wasn't good enough for the Man in Black.
Well when you look at his career overall he's done more things in the hip hop/electronic/funk range than acoustic so that what I meant by that comparison. But you are right.
01:31 AM on 10/10/08
mattph44
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great album beck never dissapoints, i really enjoyed modern guilt
01:55 AM on 08/25/11
and1234z
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Fucking amazing. Everything.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News