Password

Album Review

Backseat Goodbye - Good Morning, Sunshine Album Cover

Backseat Goodbye - Good Morning, Sunshine

Reviewed by
Backseat Goodbye - Good Morning, Sunshine
Release Date: 2007
Label: Unsigned

A twenty song cd (or 2/3 disc set) can be quite an endeavor for the typical band in the scene these days. You have to ask yourself, "are my fans going to enjoy this?" "Could I shorten this and then put out another EP later?" "Is the music even good enough to release?" Granted, this question is asked by basically every band that does this. Some actually do pull it off, get rave reviews, others get rave reviews and still don't sell any cd, then others just fail miserably. In Backseat Goodbye's case, I think he was just trying to get as much of his music out at the same time. So I give him props on that. For those of you who don't know, Backseat Goodbye is an acoustic project by a guy named Chad Sugg who does everything for his band in somewhat of a Bryce Avery fashion. He's talented guy, but his stuff screams better production.

His latest record, Good Morning, Sunshine, is a twenty track long acousti-fest with themes about love, life, the future, and basically just an all around positive look at life . The thing that really drew me in about this record, is that I'm a huge fan of feel good pop music. The Format and The Rocket Summer have always been some favorites of mine (no matter how much shit I get for it), and then I hear a little bit of a Bright Eyes influence as well, and for those who know me, Conor has always been a favorite as well. The opening track "Good Luck" its catchy as hell and is just one of those songs that screams "start a full band and take me on tour", and most of the tracks do that as well. Some other tracks you should definitely check out are "Still Life" "Sidewalk Sing Along" "Tuesday" "Twenty Two" "The Good Side" "Encore! Encore!" "Curtain Call" "Heaven, Hell And Tomorrow".

This record is an exception from all the rest, it has so many songs that I can almost pinpoint which musicians have what influence on each song. Which does not mean a ripoff. I wish I could go into more detail about this, but I really had a hard time explaining whats fun about each song. Just take my word for it that if you like feel good pop music that's deeper than what you're used to, or you nodded your head to a song on one of their older records, Backseat Goodbye's new record is for you. It's his best work to date. My only problem with the record was that Chad has had a good system going for him the last....four/five records, but it's about time he gets the tracks produced better and maybe expand to a full band.

Recommended If You LikeThe Rocket Summer, The Format, Bright Eyes, Elliott Smith
Additional InformationTrack Listing
1. Good Luck
2. An Early Ending
3. Play Three Again
4. July
5. Still Life
6. Sidewalk Sing Along
7. Slow Song's On Saturday
8. Tuesday
9. Lady Luck
10. Twenty Two
11. All Alright
12. The Good Side
13. Encore! Encore!
14. Swingset Song
15. Love Is Free
16. Old Clothes Atlantic
17. Easy Lie
18. Curtain Call
19. Virginia
20. Heaven, Hell And Tomorrow

Myspace
; Order the album
This review is a user submitted review from Nathan Lint. You can see all of Nathan Lint's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
09:36 AM on 08/24/07
mattybobviously
WE DID IT!
User Info.
I enjoy this a lot.
09:49 AM on 08/24/07
SJms1026
User Info.
I'm liking this cd.
11:29 AM on 08/26/07
jerseysbest
User Info.
I think he nearly got signed recently but something happened. I agree that he needs to get his next work produced properly to move forward. I have never really thought about him with a full band, it's an interesting idea.
06:00 PM on 08/27/07
OveriseFan
is not Oversized...
User Info.
I don't think this is a very well-written review, buddy. Your introduction is practically the length of the real review, and your 'review' doesn't really tell much except it's feel-good pop music with lots of instrumentation.

I feel like you're writing more about yourself in this than the music. Your writing didn't seem official, or 'stream-lined'(for want of better word.) as it should be. You can PM me or something if you want to know more about what I'm talking about.

I've liked some of your work that I've read in the past, so don't get discouraged or anything, as I think this is a little off-character for you, I just thought you'd like feedback on your writing.
04:16 PM on 09/01/07
Nathan Lint
That's the real joke
User Info.
I don't think this is a very well-written review, buddy. Your introduction is practically the length of the real review, and your 'review' doesn't really tell much except it's feel-good pop music with lots of instrumentation.

I feel like you're writing more about yourself in this than the music. Your writing didn't seem official, or 'stream-lined'(for want of better word.) as it should be. You can PM me or something if you want to know more about what I'm talking about.

I've liked some of your work that I've read in the past, so don't get discouraged or anything, as I think this is a little off-character for you, I just thought you'd like feedback on your writing.

Actually, I agree with you. This is probably one of the worst reviews I've ever done. But what am I supposed to do when I literally have nothing to say other than what it sounds like. Believe me, if I could say anything else about this, I would. It just got old fast.
04:31 AM on 12/07/07
cereal4life
User Info.
You can actually talk to ol' Chad Sugg on purevolume! His fringe looks really mangy but props to him and all the work he has done.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos