AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

New Shields - 02.09.12

Interviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (02/09/12)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

New Shields

www.facebook.com/newshieldsmusic
www.reverbnation.com/newshields

Keinan Fry- Guitar, Synth, Vocals
Joey Leonard- Drums
Nick Lewis- Bass, Vocals
Nathan Risley- Guitar, Vocals

1. How did you get your band name?

Nate: It is a variation on the song “Young Shields” by Casiotone for the Painfully Alone. This band is a new start for all of us, as we were coming from other bands. We felt going into this project that we would be invincible with our new found energy and creativity.

2. How did this band get started?

Keinan: Nate and I used to be in a high school band together until we lost our drummer to grad school. We found Joey on Craigslist. Right after he joined though our original bassist left to pursue other interests. After several months of rehearsing and recording our debut EP “Hint, Hint” Nick contacted us about playing bass upon seeing our recording updates on Facebook. Isn’t social media great?

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Keinan: The Beatles, Weezer, Third Eye Blind, Death Cab For Cutie, Coldplay
Joey: Balance and Composure, Motion City Soundtrack, The Wonder Years, Foo Fighters
Nick: Radiohead, U2, The Clash, Joy Division, Pink Floyd
Nate: Queen, The Matches, CKY, Say Anything, Foxy Shazam

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Keinan: The Rolling Stones, or the Allman Brothers one of those bands from the late sixties early seventies if only because touring had such a cooler aura about it back then, not because we sound like either of those bands.
Joey: I think Blink would be a cool one. Not to say that I listen to them much anymore, but they definitely were a big influence on my musical career starting out. Also, they seem like they would be fun off stage. They always have such tasteless and unnecessary humor...much like ourselves. My second choice would be Talking Heads in hopes that Keinan and their lead singer could sing "psycho killer" together. We have heard that they sound alike...and I can totally hear it in that song.
Nick: Past would be Jimi Hendrix, just to gape in awe from backstage at his genius antics.
Nate: I would love to be on tour with Foxy Shazam. They just have a live show that is a step up from what anyone else is doing currently. That energy is infectious; I would hope to learn a great deal from them.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Nick: Any kind of veggie, they're so hard to find at rest stops, especially fresh ones. Protein (lean) is also crucial, although loads of sugars are always appreciated.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Joey: We like to think that we cover various elements. We can be loud...but we can be tamed. Sometimes we're punky and sometimes we sound mainstream enough for radio. There is something for everyone.
Nick: Like any human beings we have our unique experiences and stories to tell about them. Maybe someone who hears the band will identify with our eccentric point of view, or won't identify but still be intrigued!

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Keinan: Brian Dawkins, former Safety of the Philadelphia Eagles. My absolute favorite athlete of all time.
Joey: Jayson Werth...just to see how much it sucks to not be on the Phillies anymore.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Keinan: All those great bands that inspired me, my parents, and my best friend/bandmate Nate for believing in the songs.
Joey: Anyone that believed in us/helped us along the way.
Nick: Every artist who had ever inspired me, every sound I had ever heard and my family for always supporting me, and anyone who took the time to listen to my record.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Nick: I wish that large companies would better position themselves to be able to adapt to developing technologies and emerging revenue streams, rather than entrenching themselves in a (failing) attempt to retain the successful business models of the past. They also have the budgets to be able to finance new and innovative ventures; I would love to see more of that.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Nate: I was impressed that, without even talking much about it, Keinan, Joey and I had a load in and set up routine right off the bat. Keinan and I had done a ton of shows together where we had felt we were the only two people in the room that had a plan or had any clue what we were doing. Joey was right there on the same page.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

Keinan: It’s a great site based on accepting all types of bands, of all different styles, whether you’re a big act or just starting out.
Joey: It is a place that actually does give smaller bands a chance for recognition. We released our EP just a week ago and we're already filling out an interview! AP rocks!

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Keinan: The first track off of our debut EP “Hint, Hint” called Soapbox. It’s loud but still melodic.
Joey: Soapbox is always a fun one. It just kicks so much ass.
Nate: Right now it is Roark, the last track on the EP. I love the layers and the dynamics, especially in the second verse.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Keinan: My family tries to make it to Stone Harbor, NJ once a summer.
Nick: So far, Paris. But I'd like to see anywhere in the world, especially if I've never been there.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Nate: Keinan lived in Maine until 1996 and I lived in Pennsylvania all my life. Some how, both of us owned the cassette tape of Fine Young Cannibal’s “The Raw and The Cooked.” It is such a good album and I might like it more now then I did as a kid. I remember being 5 or 6 and playing it out of a plastic Fisher Price boom box and singing along through a bright red microphone.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Keinan: Sure flying or super strength would be awesome but I’d trade it in just to be better at piano.
Joey: Superhuman strength would be cool. It would be nice to have no physical restraints. If my car broke down, I could just like carry it to a mechanic.
Nick: Teleportation. See above answer about vacationing.
Nate: Superhuman metabolism. I really like to eat..

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Keinan: Besides trying figure out what to do with my overabundant amount of nervous energy?
Joey: I usually try to make sure that I am well rested before I leave for a show. Also, I'm big on gear check lists. While I'm there, I usually stretch and stay hydrated by drinking water.
Nick: I try to center myself mentally and emotionally, maybe go for a walk alone or do some stretching. I envision playing really well and the audience loving it, so I have something to shoot for.
Nate: Gear checks, set lists, tuning, staging, etc. I find it really therapeutic to go down the list and make sure we are as prepared as possible. Usually jump around a bit right before getting on stage.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Keinan: Besides music I’ve also tried my hand at writing screenplays.
Joey: Although we love playing loud, we also try to master the art of acoustic sessions.
Nick: I'm red/green colourblind.
Nate: I love martial arts and study American Kenpo.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Joey: Sometimes I think that the radio plays favorites. Certain stations just push the same band/song over and over. It's awesome if you're that band, but diversity is also nice. I think that we are definitely adaptable to a radio setting. If the opportunity arose, I believe that it would take us somewhere.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Keinan: Read, discover new bands, and watch Philly sports with my Dad.
Joey: I enjoy exercising and spending time with people.
Nick: Read. Learn. Explore the world, inside and outside. And spend time with people I love.
Nate: Running is awesome. Video games are cool. Also, I am kind of addicted to Netflix.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Keinan: Not sure, still kind of hoping some show up when I least expect it.
Joey: They must be too hidden for me to find them..
Nick: If they're really hidden, how would I know? Hopefully tons and tons.
Nate: Pyrokinesis.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT