Username
Password

Album Review - Page 9
Displaying posts 120 - 135 of 149.
01:33 PM on 02/22/12
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Yeah, this is the best summary of this band/album.

Unbelievable record. This is what Against Me! was aiming for -- guess their "failure" (I use that term very loosely) was the Menzingers' gain. They essentially did what every other punk band is making an attempt to do and pulled it off with their own perfect combination of style & originality -- not to mention sincere intelligence.

I'm going to wholeheartedly disagree with your sentiment that this is what Against Me! was aiming for. The Menzingers seem to want to lean more toward the "rock n' roll" side of things (for lack of a better way of putting it) while maintaining the energy and general aesthetic of their previous work. At least, that's the vibe I get when listening to this record.

From what I can gather of the last two Against Me! records? They wanted to metamorphasize into something drastically different. Sure, at the end of the day, the songs were still rock tunes inspired by punk rock, but they've deliberately been distancing themselves from that scene in general for a while now. The Menzingers still seem firmly in place.

If that makes sense. Another way of looking at it? "This album sounds like what would have happened if the Gaslight Anthem still played with punk rock energy." Not to say they don't have energy, but you see what I'm getting at hopefully...
01:36 PM on 02/22/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Nope. I don't touch leaks. It's killing me!
Oooooof I forgot about your nobility haha. Good album, the Irish song is something I'm really digging. Are you at least listening to these song streams as they come around?
01:40 PM on 02/22/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
Oooooof I forgot about your nobility haha. Good album, the Irish song is something I'm really digging. Are you at least listening to these song streams as they come around?
Yeah I've heard the single, the song Spin had and the song Rolling Stone had. All excellent, so far.
11:03 PM on 02/22/12
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I'm going to wholeheartedly disagree with your sentiment that this is what Against Me! was aiming for. The Menzingers seem to want to lean more toward the "rock n' roll" side of things (for lack of a better way of putting it) while maintaining the energy and general aesthetic of their previous work. At least, that's the vibe I get when listening to this record.

From what I can gather of the last two Against Me! records? They wanted to metamorphasize into something drastically different. Sure, at the end of the day, the songs were still rock tunes inspired by punk rock, but they've deliberately been distancing themselves from that scene in general for a while now. The Menzingers still seem firmly in place.

If that makes sense. Another way of looking at it? "This album sounds like what would have happened if the Gaslight Anthem still played with punk rock energy." Not to say they don't have energy, but you see what I'm getting at hopefully...
Fair enough. Pretty accurate assessment. Maybe I should have said it feels like the logical progression Against Me! should have gone in since they jumped straight into the big rock circuit rather than take a casual climb to evolve into it. Makes you wonder where this band will go from here. Their first album is almost unrecognizable compared to this, and in such a short amount of time to go from that to this is...well, Gaslight-esque in some ways. Same positive response from fans too, which is a good sign.
05:53 PM on 02/23/12
iseelifealive
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Listen to burn after writing and try not to be happy as fuck when the song picks up
10:50 AM on 03/02/12
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Finally got around to listening to this last night - and now I've had it on repeat all day. Absolutely phenomenal record and review.
11:00 AM on 03/02/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Listen to burn after writing and try not to be happy as fuck when the song picks up
^^^^
11:32 PM on 03/08/12
BozzBlonde
adieuxmusic.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I never cared for bands like and similar to The Gaslight Anthem, but I've always appreciated the style of music and kept an open mind for bands that sounded alike. This album has brilliantly executed and transcended this sound and brought it to a whole 'nother level.
12:25 AM on 03/29/12
speakhandsforme
no shame in impulse
User Info.
I'm so glad I decided to scan through the reviews for a new band to listen to tonight.

I like these guys a lot.
09:30 AM on 03/29/12
bituin01
I like people, places, and things.
User Info.
Incredible record. I've been listening to this and little else for the past few weeks. Great review.
10:35 PM on 03/29/12
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
Yeah, this is the best summary of this band/album.

Unbelievable record. This is what Against Me! was aiming for -- guess their "failure" (I use that term very loosely) was the Menzingers' gain. They essentially did what every other punk band is making an attempt to do and pulled it off with their own perfect combination of style & originality -- not to mention sincere intelligence.
Hey you! Review Lucero!

Anyway, love this record more every day. Storytelling is not exactly Craig Finn or Tom Waits level but it's still engaging, and the melodies are great.
03:56 PM on 04/21/12
Karl Hansen
www.lowcutrock.com
User Info.
Epic fucking album. (Period)
03:54 PM on 10/08/12
Karl Hansen
www.lowcutrock.com
User Info.
Update half a year later: Album Of The Year. Hands down. Handwritten (or any other album) comes nowhere near this beast!
10:02 PM on 10/08/12
vivatoto56
EB was left out
User Info.
Still AOTY.
01:25 PM on 10/11/12
Blink2226
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
anyone think the singer sounds a little like the guy from The Honorary Title
Options
More From This Author