Password

Album Review

The Twilight Sad - No One Can Ever Know Album Cover

The Twilight Sad - No One Can Ever Know

Reviewed by
The Twilight Sad - No One Can Ever Know
Record Label: FatCat
Release Date: February 7, 2012
This review is a user submitted review from Jeremy Aaron. You can see all of Jeremy Aaron's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
11:55 AM on 02/10/12
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
im listening to this for the first time now. hopefully it stacks up, even though from your review it sound like it doesn't quite.
12:31 PM on 02/10/12
georgedcc
User Info.
This album is fantastic. I love this band and I love the darker more sparse approach they've taken with this album. Their earlier work is still fantastic, but this album transcends that.
12:58 PM on 02/10/12
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Agree with the score, which in my book is still considerably high (after all, 7.5's exactly halfway between mediocre and the best albums of all time).

Quote:
Also mostly absent is Graham's uncanny ability to hit squarely in the heart with a simple turn of phrase. I had pretty much deduced this would be the case upon the selection of "Sick", a starkly monotone cut, as a single. With a few exceptions, most notably the aforementioned "Dead City", it's a fitting representation of the entirety of No One Can Ever Know. These songs are just as brooding and somber as we are used to hearing from The Twilight Sad, but Graham surprisingly struggles to strike the same degree of emotional connection, usually one of the band's biggest strengths.

Given the emotional impact songs like "Prostitute", "Made to Disappear" and "The Wrong Car" had on me when I first discovered these guys, this is precisely the only thing I wish had carried over (maybe the wall-of-guitar-noise too). But I kinda got used to the more smeary, straight-ahead emotional delivery, and while maybe it's not overall better (namely because of songs like the aforementioned), I think this album might actually be more consistent than the last one. The melodies rise and crash just a little softer but it's just very smooth and gripping, like with "Alphabet".

As far as peers, I think Forget the Night Ahead was kind of the Scottish alternative to the National, especially High Violet era.
01:30 PM on 02/10/12
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Agree with the score, which in my book is still considerably high (after all, 7.5's exactly halfway between mediocre and the best albums of all time).

Given the emotional impact songs like "Prostitute", "Made to Disappear" and "The Wrong Car" had on me when I first discovered these guys, this is precisely the only thing I wish had carried over (maybe the wall-of-guitar-noise too). But I kinda got used to the more smeary, straight-ahead emotional delivery, and while maybe it's not overall better (namely because of songs like the aforementioned), I think this album might actually be more consistent than the last one. The melodies rise and crash just a little softer but it's just very smooth and gripping, like with "Alphabet".

As far as peers, I think Forget the Night Ahead was kind of the Scottish alternative to the National, especially High Violet era.
Agreed pretty much all around. "I Became a Prostitute", I thought, could have launched these guys to stardom. It's the type of song that can stop you in your tracks regardless of what you're doing and put a lump in your throat even if you can't fully discern the lyrics through Graham's brogue. I knew the first time I heard it that it would become one of my all-time favorites. Their debut had a number of real stunners, too ("Walking for Two Hours", "Mapped by What Surrounded Them"). As an album, this one is probably more even feel-wise, but none of it really struck me like I was hoping for.

I can see the comparison to The National; High Violet was far and away my favorite album of 2010, and Forget the Night Ahead was my #2 for 2009, so I definitely have an equal affection for both albums. One thing I didn't mention in the review is how key the percussion was to the sound of Forget the Night Ahead as well, and that's probably where the strongest parallel with High Violet lies. That type of bombastic drumming doesn't surface often on the new album either, but obviously, it wouldn't have been a natural fit anyway.

In any event, solid album. Perhaps my own expectations and prejudices interfere somewhat with making a completely accurate judgment. Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.
03:29 PM on 02/10/12
Mr. November
I won't fuck us over.
User Info.
really love this

i hear a lot of Radioheadish stuff on it, maybe that's just me.
04:06 PM on 02/10/12
georgedcc
User Info.
While I do love I Became A Prostitute, The Twilight Sad's best moment is this song;

Seriously, first time I heard this it blew me away. Fucking perfect. I always enjoy people's reactions when they listen to this band for the first time, just because of how strong his Scottish accent is. I particularly like it when Americans hear it just because it can sound so unintelligible at first listen.
12:50 AM on 02/14/12
ericwebb89
goodmusicthings
User Info.
This album is the first I'd ever heard the Twilight Sad, and it was exactly what I needed. To me, there is a lot of the the Cure/Joy Division hiding in these tracks, which I think is great. The whole album has this really great balance of moodiness and energy going. I appreciate that it's "sad," but not boring. It's nice to have some music to listen to when you're down that still kind of pumps you up.

And I guess it's no surprise then that I thought "Alphabet," "Dead City" and "Another Bed" were the most interesting tracks. I really enjoyed it, and I picked it for my album of the week: http://mattneric.wordpress.com/2012/...kilting-me-so/

But after reading this review, I'm even more interested in comparing with their past two albums. Good stuff!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos