AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Recommended News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Staff Recommendations: February 12th, 2012

Posted by - 01:11 PM on 02/12/12
Hey Sunday fans; it's time for the weekly recommendations. This week we had Steve from New Found Glory join us with his picks as well. So check all of those out below, and then leave what you've been enjoying in the replies. Hope everyone's had a great weekend. Don't forget that on Valentines Day we'll be having out annual chat with TWLOHA. It's always one of the best chats we do each year.

Steve Klein from New Found GloryHey Guys and Gals! Here are some amazing bands that I think everyone should check out: Team Me's record "To The Treetops" has been a record that I can't stop listening to since I first heard it. At times it reminds me of a more poppy Mew, but they definitely have their own thing going on. The melodies on this record will be in your head for weeks. Next up we have London's Tellison; their record "The Wages Of Fear" is amazing. I'm a sucker for a band whose singer has the deep English accent and writes really catchy rock pop songs. And I think you'll dig it too... The Radio Dept's record "Clinging To A Scheme" is one of the best records I've heard in a long time. You can listen to at any time, any place, in any mood.. it will fit perfectly. It could possibly make you want to even break out into a dance so be careful! And lastly, Stars' record "Set Yourself On Fire," to me, is a masterpiece. Their perfect blend of male and Female vocals and undeniable melodies make them a great fit for any Sunday.

I post songs all the time on my tumblr, and follow @steveisdareason and @newfoundglory on twitter as well.

Jason TateThis week was all about fun. Huge props to the band for expanding their pop genius, and for getting so close to the release date without the album leaking. I hear some cool stuff is coming early this week, like a full album stream, so check out the website tomorrow morning and join in on the conversation with other fans. Along with that, I discovered 'The League' on Netflix, and have been enjoying that this weekend.

Follow me on twitter, Facebook, and instagram.

Eda I've been listening to Bowerbirds' new album The Clearing on repeat. I just can't stop -- it's simply amazing. Probably my favourite record of 2012 so far. But until that comes out, grab their two other albums: Upper Air and Hymns for a Dark Horse. This band can do no wrong.

Christian WagnerWith snow finally settling into the northeast, it has changed listening style just a tad bit. I have been really digging the new Foxy Shazam record. There's something about it that I can't verbally explain but I gravitate to the energy of it. The new Tonight Alive record seems promising from a few of the tracks I have heard. There's a lot of hype around them and since several of these female fronted acts have been growing exponentially, it will be interesting to track their success.

Oh, and listen to New Found Glory. They're ok.

Friend me on Facebook, follow me on Twitter, go listen to good music on AP.net, and take care...shave your hair. WWWYKI!

Alex DiVincenzoI'm shutting off what little social life I have in favor of reliving my childhood by watching the entire 1999 year of WWF's Raw. If you're looking for music, Patent Pending remains one of my favorite live bands and some of the nicest dudes. Improve your Valentine's Day by listening to their track "Valentine" from their latest album, Second Family, which is still streaming on their AP.net profile. I also have some exciting news coming soon that I can't wait to share with you all.

Jack ApplebyWatching the Foo Fighters documentary for a third time today; it's on Hulu Plus now, so check it out. Been revisiting some older favorites this week, with Cursive, Dredg, and Acceptance all getting some time on Spotify. Besides that, I highly recommend Ricky Rubio.

Jake DenningI'll be brief; go check out the following bands/companies/whatever: Your Demise -- August Burns Red -- Silverstein -- Texas In July -- Enter Shikari -- Ed Sheeran -- Andrew W.K. -- LOUD&OBNOXIOUS [Clothing Company]

Thomas NassiffI don't always do staff recommendations, but when I do, it's to reaffirm my recommendation of The Menzingers' On the Impossible Past. We're in February and I've already got one record that's a lock for my top 5. I also recommend that you trade for Kevin Love in your fantasy basketball league if you have the means of doing so.

Deborah RemusListen to "The 9th Piece" by The Sidekicks if you haven't yet. It's still streaming on their AP.net profile.

Sean RizzoNew Exotic Animal Petting Zoo, Take One Car, and Ease The Medic will all be great.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 53
01:13 PM on 02/12/12
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
Steve is the best dude.
01:17 PM on 02/12/12
Lueda Alia
User Info.

01:21 PM on 02/12/12
CavanaughPark
Hey, I'm doing alright.
User Info.
The excitement for fun.'s new album is building and I'm just not feeling it. Having heard live versions of all the songs + the previews, I think it's safe to say that i'll only like about 5 of the songs off this record.

It just sucks that I can't force myself to like it the way I liked Aim and Ignite. Probably because Aim wasn't that far of a jump from the Format stuff I grew up with. Even so, listening to Aim gave me the chills the first time I heard it; it was so refreshing and out there and I immediately fell in love with it.

Some Nights just seems like they wasted it all on bad production. This band has so much talent and potential, and the songs are generally good for the live/stripped down versions, but I can't stand the annoying drum beats and excessive autotune/vococorder. Disappointing.

I guess on the bright side is the fact that their shows will still rock. I'm seeing them twice on this tour, and regardless of how much I dislike their new album, I will always support them as a band and go to their shows.
01:29 PM on 02/12/12
sweetfootaction
Cake-eater
User Info.
Is there anything coming out in the near future that brings the wow-factor? I've been bored with music lately and need something to surprise me.

The only band I'm really anticipating for all of this year is the new Relient K album.
01:31 PM on 02/12/12
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Man, I've had to edit in my recommendations three times because everyone keeps editing them out...

Imma ban y'all.
01:33 PM on 02/12/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Man, I've had to edit in my recommendations three times because everyone keeps editing them out...

Imma ban y'all.
Don't see yours?
01:33 PM on 02/12/12
JTHomeslice
Your girl's favorite pizza boy
User Info.

Chiptune hip-hop. What's good
01:34 PM on 02/12/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
The excitement for fun.'s new album is building and I'm just not feeling it. Having heard live versions of all the songs + the previews, I think it's safe to say that i'll only like about 5 of the songs off this record.

It just sucks that I can't force myself to like it the way I liked Aim and Ignite. Probably because Aim wasn't that far of a jump from the Format stuff I grew up with. Even so, listening to Aim gave me the chills the first time I heard it; it was so refreshing and out there and I immediately fell in love with it.

Some Nights just seems like they wasted it all on bad production. This band has so much talent and potential, and the songs are generally good for the live/stripped down versions, but I can't stand the annoying drum beats and excessive autotune/vococorder. Disappointing.

I guess on the bright side is the fact that their shows will still rock. I'm seeing them twice on this tour, and regardless of how much I dislike their new album, I will always support them as a band and go to their shows.
Judging a little quick if you ask me.
01:35 PM on 02/12/12
StepsInADance
taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com
User Info.

COREhorizon
Get Free
User Info.
Gotta agree with Steve, Stars and The Radio Dept are great bands

Plus I'm a huge fan of the League
kazuma_ootaro28
User Info.
Crustation - Bloom: It's an unfortunately forgotten Trip Hop classic. With that said, you should hear it if you're into the likes of Portishead and other Electronic music.
01:37 PM on 02/12/12
Lueda Alia
User Info.
That's because everyone keeps editing the post and mine doesn't get saved!

My addition was literally the second one, right after yours. And it's been taken out three times so far.
01:37 PM on 02/12/12
Jake Denning
User Info.

Imma ban y'all.
now MINE are gone.
01:38 PM on 02/12/12
Lueda Alia
User Info.
But that's OK... cause no one cares about yours.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos