Username
Password
Legal News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Legal
Inside AP.net

Variety / The Vandals Finally Settle Lawsuit

Posted by: Jason Tate (02/13/12)
Variety has settled its lawsuit with The Vandals. The magazine sued the band for their 2004 parody version of the logo from Hollywood Potato Chip.
From The ArticleThis was the worst thing that's ever happened to me, and to the band, and the hardest thing I've ever done. However, as my wife says, the crash course in federal court litigation made me a better lawyer. Hopefully this will be a lesson to other media companies and law firms with respect to how they deal with First Amendment issues in the Internet Age.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16.
02:59 PM on 02/13/12
anamericangod
User Info.
Absurd.
02:59 PM on 02/13/12
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
I never even knew this case existed.. good luck to them in it, I'm not sure if its going to work in their favor.

This post reminded me of getting sent home in middle school for wearing my Vandals shirt to school with the V/gun logo.
03:00 PM on 02/13/12
anamericangod
User Info.
I never even knew this case existed.. good luck to them in it, I'm not sure if its going to work in their favor.

This post reminded me of getting sent home in middle school for wearing my Vandals shirt to school with the V/gun logo.
The first sentence says it has been settled.
03:05 PM on 02/13/12
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
The first sentence says it has been settled.

Ah! I'm on my phone on a trip so I haven't read the article due to slow internet speeds. I should do that.
03:06 PM on 02/13/12
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Glad it's finally over and that Variety is dropping the case. Hope The Vandals get some good press out of it.
03:47 PM on 02/13/12
hotrod
2 legit 2 quit
User Info.
this band is awesome, good for them.
03:48 PM on 02/13/12
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
What Alex said. This shit was absurd and was ultimately a waste of time for all parties involved. Not that they would, but I wonder if the Vandals could now counter-sue for slander.

Either way: Glad it's over, and I'm hoping we can get a tour now that it's been settled.
04:08 PM on 02/13/12
TooOLDforAP.Net
User Info.
where are you new Vandals record? Also, where are you entire Vandals back catalog on colored vinyl?
04:35 PM on 02/13/12
Nowisnotthetime
TFC
User Info.
According to sources I saw, the case wasn't settled. Instead, Variety actually dropped their lawsuit. I feel like "settled" suggests something more like the Vandals had to find some middle ground.
04:40 PM on 02/13/12
ibanez966
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
According to sources I saw, the case wasn't settled. Instead, Variety actually dropped their lawsuit. I feel like "settled" suggests something more like the Vandals had to find some middle ground.
I agree. A settlement in a case requires a settlement agreement; since the case was dropped there was no settlement. The original lawsuit in 2004 resulted in a settlement and this suit was for supposed breach of that settlement.
04:41 PM on 02/13/12
GeeBee
Tertium Non Datur
User Info.
Color 2004 me halfway interested. Color 2012 me pretty "meh".
06:41 PM on 02/13/12
panicbxmb
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

My school made me turn that same shirt inside out. I wore it a million times before anyone threw a fit about it. Haha good times.
06:49 PM on 02/13/12
Spencer Control
Now we are all sons of bitches
User Info.
Eight years? Geez.
07:12 PM on 02/13/12
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
My school made me turn that same shirt inside out. I wore it a million times before anyone threw a fit about it. Haha good times.

Those were good times. Being a Texan, I felt cool getting away with the Not My President tee from Punk Voter and my Nofx shirt from War or Errorism saying "Somewhere in Texas there's a village missing its idiot."
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS