Password

Album Review
Metro Station - Metro Station Album Cover

Metro Station - Metro Station

Reviewed by
Metro Station - Metro Station
Release Date: September 18th, 2007
Record Label: Red Ink Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
No more than five seconds into this record did I realize that Metro Station could be the next Panic! At The Disco. Whether or not you think that's a bad thing, Panic! At The Disco are pros at writing fun, catchy tunes and that's exactly what Metro Station's self titled debut is chock full of.

Metro Station's opener "Seventeen Forever" doesn't waste any time getting to an incredibly energetic chorus while setting the general mood for the record. "Seventeen Forever" was one of the songs that originally got the attention of record labels, and it's obvious why. The follow-up track "Control" starts off as slow but then quickly picks up the pace while a catchy chorus grabs a hold of your ears and doesn't let go.

Metro Station
's first single is a song called "Kelsey," which is also guest produced by Motion City Soundtrack. You would think that anything Motion City Soundtrack touches would turn into powerpop gold but to my surprise, it turns out to be one of the weakest tracks on Metro Station.

After being somewhat disappointed with their choice of a first single, the song "Shake It" came through my headphones and made me wonder why Metro Station didn't pick that as a single instead. The title of the song alone should tell you that it's full of catchy dance hooks. Not just that, but "Shake It" is screaming to be on MTV. Not for 20 seconds during commercials of The Hills though because it's everything that TRL could ask for and more.

The potential MTV hits don't stop there though, seeing as "Wish We Were Older" and "True To Me" could be just as big. This album proves that this isn't just a band that'll write one popular song and disappear from the scene in a couple of years. They have talent, they're young, and they'll keep getting better. And yes, the music isn't original and it's certainly been done before, but Metro Station is doing it just as well, if not better than most bands out there now.

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01. Seventeen Forever
02. Control
03. Kelsey
04. Shake It
05. Wish We Were Older
06. Now That We're Done
07. True To Me
08. Tell Me What To Do
09. California
10. Disco
Produced by: Sam Hollander and Dave Katz

Metro Station are:
Trace Cyrus - Vocals/guitar
Mason Musso - Vocals/guitar
Blake Healy - Keyboards/synth
Anthony Improgo - Drums

Myspace
Order The Album

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 90
07:27 AM on 09/01/07
mattybobviously
WE DID IT!
User Info.
This is the same label as Boys Like Girls, no?
07:38 AM on 09/01/07
thefirewithin
In Exile
User Info.
It's so good to see some good, solid, and innovative pop-punk bands coming out of the scene again... with names like Forever the Sickest Kids, Farewell, and Metro Station it's bound to be a year for pop-punk takeover.
07:46 AM on 09/01/07
mattybobviously
WE DID IT!
User Info.
This album hasn't leaked? I could only find the old EP. Really good stuff though, I never buy albums like this without having heard them first, but maybe I'll break the mold on this one. The Panic! at the Disco comparison rings true, this is the music I wish Panic had focused on instead of going in to their whole vaudeville world they created.
08:50 AM on 09/01/07
radio napalm
User Info.
young? i don't know about the entire band, but the one dude in the band in his 30's
09:35 AM on 09/01/07
jr.cheddar-ape
music aficionado
User Info.
It's so good to see some good, solid, and innovative pop-punk bands coming out of the scene again... with names like Forever the Sickest Kids, Farewell, and Metro Station it's bound to be a year for pop-punk takeover.

Thats what I have been trying to say! It stinks that some music elitests won't even give bands like these a chance. I wish that those guys could get past the fact that their little sister might like it, and see the genius in a great pop song. Haters---get ready to like pop-punk again.
10:09 AM on 09/01/07
kaityangst
still not quite the way it was
User Info.
I'm so excited for this album :)
10:38 AM on 09/01/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
This band sucks. But I'll listen soon.
11:02 AM on 09/01/07
krishasaheadake
Don't start no shit wont be no shit
User Info.
This is the same label as Boys Like Girls, no?

Yea, Red Ink is Columbia
11:13 AM on 09/01/07
istoomuch
sujin
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
my favs have to be 'now that we're done' and 'california'
love this album
12:02 PM on 09/01/07
chyeahhchelsie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really like them and I can't wait to hear the album.
12:15 PM on 09/01/07
StrangerDanger
without sound.
User Info.
oh, Kelsey was one of my favorites.

not only was it produced by MCS, Justin also does backing vocals on that track.
01:08 PM on 09/01/07
albatrossxivy
asdfg
User Info.
This band sucks. But I'll listen soon.

that made no sense
01:08 PM on 09/01/07
albatrossxivy
asdfg
User Info.
young? i don't know about the entire band, but the one dude in the band in his 30's

trace and mason (the singers) just turned 18

the rest of the band is mid 20s
01:33 PM on 09/01/07
gracky
Don't you float away.
User Info.
trace cyrus and mason musso are the older brothers of miley cyrus and mitchel musso.
they should start playing metro station on hannah montana.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos