AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Motion City Soundtrack News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Motion City Soundtrack: Making Moves

Posted by - 04:39 PM on 02/16/12
Motion City Soundtrack and Drexel University's student run record label MAD Dragon Records have come together to create a series called Making Moves. The series will consist of 7" single releases by emerging artists curated by Motion City Soundtrack. Hit the replies to read the full press release and check out the full line-up on Making Moves.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
04:40 PM on 02/16/12
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Press ReleaseDrexel University's MAD Dragon Records &
Motion City Soundtrack Announce
MAKING MOVES!

Philadelphia, PA - February 15, 2012 - Drexel University's MAD Dragon Records (MDR) is pleased to announce Making Moves, a series of 7" single releases by emerging artists curated by Motion City Soundtrack. The singles will be released on limited edition 7" vinyl and digitally via MAD Dragon Records and Motion City Soundtrack's recently launched record label, The Boombox Generation. The Making Moves series will be distributed by the Alternative Distribution Alliance. Making Moves artists include: The Company We Keep (Detroit, MI), Brick + Mortar (Toms River, NJ), Goldrush (Richmond, VA), The Skies Revolt (Grand Rapids, MI) and A Great Big Pile of Leaves (Brooklyn, NY). Additionally, Motion City Soundtrack will contribute two new songs for the series. The Company We Keep will begin the schedule of artist releases on April 24th, 2012 and each additional artist will be released throughout the year.

Members of Motion City Soundtrack (Justin Pierre, Josh Cain, Matt Taylor, Jesse Johnson, and Tony Thaxton) produced all of the artists' recordings between November 2011 and January 2012. The sessions took place at Drexel University's studios in Philadelphia, PA with Drexel's Music Industry Program alumni and undergraduate students, Lenny Skolnick, Dave Petit and Justin Chapman engineering the sessions. The recording process was documented by students from the Drexel Film & Video program for a documentary "Making Of" DVD that will accompany a box set including all titles and will be released in late 2012.

The project came together at the annual South By Southwest Music Conference (SXSW) in March 2011. According to Jesse Johnson of MCS, "Last year, I was at SXSW with the band I manage, A Great Big Pile of Leaves, and Terry Tompkins attended their showcase. Johnson said, "After a few emails and phone calls, the Making Moves project was hatched; it went from simply doing a A Great Big Pile of Leaves seven inch to Motion City Soundtrack curating the series." Matt Taylor of MCS adds, "I'm hoping that people will be inspired by the collaboration and the many different factions involved with the series. We came together with a common goal of releasing music that we're excited about. We want those who hear it to share in this excitement with us."

"It is a privilege for the students in the Music Industry Program and MAD Dragon Records to work with Motion City Soundtrack (MCS) for the Making Moves Series," said Terry Tompkins, Associate Teaching Professor of the Music Industry Program and Managing Director of the Music Industry Program Entities at Drexel University. "This partnership provides a rare opportunity for our students to work with an accomplished and recognized band. Their (MCS) interest and enthusiasm to work with our students has exceeded our wildest expectations."

Making Moves will kick-off with a showcase at the annual South by Southwest Music Conference in Austin, Texas that runs from March 14th - March 18th, 2012. Motion City Soundtrack will headline the official Making Moves showcase with all of the emerging artists in the series (The Company We Keep, Brick + Mortar, Goldrush, The Skies Revolt and A Great Big Pile of Leaves) performing during the evening. Stay tuned for more details!

For more information on Making Moves, please visit:
http://makingmoves.maddragonmusic.com/

Also, visit:
www.maddragonmusic.com
http://www.drexel.edu/westphal/undergraduate/MIP/
http://www.motioncitysoundtrack.com/news
04:46 PM on 02/16/12
himynameisjohn3
her eyes were blue her hair was too
User Info.
i will be buying this. but mostly just for Motion City Soundtrack and A Great Big Pile of Leaves.
05:00 PM on 02/16/12
i_am_near_main
User Info.
Those Drexel kids are awfully lucky. Can't wait to hear this
05:05 PM on 02/16/12
IAmAmazing
I want to beLIEve
User Info.
Pretty cool that one of those bands is from Toms River, NJ, even though I've never heard of them before.
05:13 PM on 02/16/12
ChrisCanberg
User Info.
Wow, Toms River? I'm from there. Crazy, never heard of them before. Wish I knew about this, I would've tried to get my band on it somehow.
05:15 PM on 02/16/12
SincerelyMe
Long live the car crash hearts
User Info.
This is awesome.
05:46 PM on 02/16/12
Keele
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I want the new MCS song from the video clip. I want both new songs actually. I was just reading the details on the bands tumblr page as I sampled the bands via bandcamp. I think it's a fantastic project for Motion City Soundtrack, the students and educators and of course the bands involved. Plus they are putting things together for a box set and a showcase. I'm really impressed by this.

I relly want those new MCS songs. I hope their release date is sooner rather than later.
07:09 PM on 02/16/12
HazeLitRise
i spit hot fire
User Info.
Pretty cool that one of those bands is from Toms River, NJ, even though I've never heard of them before.
Check them out, they're quite good. They also put on a really great live show.
07:11 PM on 02/16/12
sjb2k1
5-5, i hate everything
User Info.
shut up and take my money!
for the AGBPOL 7"
07:16 PM on 02/16/12
nickstetina
User Info.
shut up and take my money!
for the AGBPOL 7"
This.
07:42 PM on 02/16/12
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Anything MCS touches excites me.

Yes, you know...
08:34 PM on 02/16/12
steve187
nah
User Info.
i saw justin at drexel like 2-3 years ago just playing stuff on his acoustic
08:51 PM on 02/16/12
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
Favorite artist ever. Brilliant project.
10:45 PM on 02/16/12
11:11
Soft sound
User Info.
My friend is one of those 50 students. I could have been, and now I'm all sad.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos