Album Review

Broadway Calls - Broadway Calls Album Cover

Broadway Calls - Broadway Calls

Reviewed by
Broadway Calls - Broadway Calls
Released July 10th, 2007
State of Mind Recordings

Who?

Hard-edged pop-punk in the vein of Aspen It Is. Throwing fourteen songs, some much better than others, onto a single album is admirable but in this case -- completely unnecessary.

How Is It?

I'm almost positive this is where the pop-punk genre needs to turn.

Broadway Calls is a wonderfully realized album, but I can't help but not see eye-to-eye with it at some points. The most irritating being the first half of "Save Our Ship". Vocalist Ty Vaughn does not assimilate well in an acoustic environment. The same goes for the subsequent "A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours". Sorry, but transitioning from the badass, anthemic "Call It Off" to the aforementioned piano pace-steady is just in bad fashion. The first seven or so songs on the album are downright gold. Broadway Calls digresses from there, however.
This review is a user submitted review from Scott Irvine. You can see all of Scott Irvine's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
12:19 PM on 09/01/07
notdarren
notMcLeod either
User Info.
couldn't get into this album, but it sounded decent.
11:16 PM on 09/01/07
llmp
Incorrigality
User Info.
As far as pop-punk goes, I really like this. Oddly though, "A Rush..." is by far my favorite song on this...
08:51 PM on 09/02/07
Justin_stacy
Go AWAY! Batin'!
User Info.
i can't explain it, but this album quickly turned into one of my favorite of the year.
11:27 PM on 09/02/07
Nathan Lint
That's the real joke
User Info.
I love this record, I was just getting ready to review it.
07:38 AM on 09/07/07
Just An End
Can your walls hold a gorilla?
User Info.
i can't explain it, but this album quickly turned into one of my favorite of the year.
same here... I listened to a few songs a few weeks back and nothing really caught my attention, but after reading this I tried listening to them again and I like them a lot more now for some reason
10:04 PM on 06/20/08
tmitch1109
be calm
User Info.
I'm still listening to Back to Oregon...something about it is just so catchy. Kind of reminds me of old The Academy Is...
06:33 AM on 08/30/08
Filbunke
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think "A Rush And A Push..." is the best song of the record. Can't get it out of my head. Other winners are "Call It Off", "Save Our Ship" and "Meet Me At Washington Park". I like the acoustic parts of this album. I completely disagree about the singers voice not assimilating well in an "acoustic environment". And the transitions and diversity of the songs is what keeps this record from being boring.

I'd give this album 4 out 5.
09:46 AM on 10/01/08
TSTLSOOM
Hayley > Hayley
User Info.
same here.
only reason i knew about them was the fact that adeline rerealced the cd.
heard call it off thought it was ok, but i decided to watch their set at warped.
bought the cd from em at warped.
watched their set.
became a fan for life. haha

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums