AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Foo Fighters News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Dave Grohl Clarifies Grammy Acceptance Speech

Posted by - 10:02 AM on 02/17/12
Dave Grohl has clarified his Grammy acceptance speech. Check out his full letter in the replies.
From the Letter That's exactly what I was referring to. The "human element". That thing that happens when a song speeds up slightly, or a vocal goes a little sharp. That thing that makes people sound like PEOPLE. Somewhere along the line those things became "bad" things, and with the great advances in digital recording technology over the years they became easily "fixed". The end result? I my humble opinion.....a lot of music that sounds perfect, but lacks personality. The one thing that makes music so exciting in the first place.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 83
10:02 AM on 02/17/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Oh, what a night we had last Sunday at the 54th Annual Grammy Awards. The glitz! The Glamour! SEACREST! Where do I begin?? Chillin' with Lil' Wayne...meeting Cyndi Lauper's adorable mother...the complimentary blinking Coldplay bracelet.....much too much to recap. It's really is still a bit of a blur. But, if there's one thing that I remember VERY clearly, it was accepting the Grammy for Best Rock Performance...and then saying this:

"To me this award means a lot because it shows that the human element of music is what's important. Singing into a microphone and learning to play an instrument and learning to do your craft, that's the most important thing for people to do... It's not about being perfect, it's not about sounding absolutely correct, it's not about what goes on in a computer. It's about what goes on in here [your heart] and what goes on in here [your head]."

Not the Gettysburg Address, but hey......I'm a drummer, remember?

Well, me and my big mouth. Never has a 33 second acceptance rant evoked such caps-lock postboard rage as my lil' ode to analog recording has. OK....maybe Kanye has me on this one, but....Imma let you finish....just wanted to clarify something...

I love music. I love ALL kinds of music. From Kyuss to Kraftwerk, Pinetop Perkins to Prodigy, Dead Kennedys to Deadmau5.....I love music. Electronic or acoustic, it doesn't matter to me. The simple act of creating music is a beautiful gift that ALL human beings are blessed with. And the diversity of one musician's personality to the next is what makes music so exciting and.....human.

That's exactly what I was referring to. The "human element". That thing that happens when a song speeds up slightly, or a vocal goes a little sharp. That thing that makes people sound like PEOPLE. Somewhere along the line those things became "bad" things, and with the great advances in digital recording technology over the years they became easily "fixed". The end result? I my humble opinion.....a lot of music that sounds perfect, but lacks personality. The one thing that makes music so exciting in the first place.

And, unfortunately, some of these great advances have taken the focus off of the actual craft of performance. Look, I am not Yngwie Malmsteen. I am not John Bonham. Hell...I'm not even Josh Groban, for that matter. But I try really fucking hard so that I don't have to rely on anything but my hands and my heart to play a song. I do the best that I possibly can within my limitations, and accept that it sounds like me. Because that's what I think is most important. It should be real, right? Everybody wants something real.

I don't know how to do what Skrillex does (though I fucking love it) but I do know that the reason he is so loved is because he sounds like Skrillex, and that's badass. We have a different process and a different set of tools, but the "craft" is equally as important, I'm sure. I mean.....if it were that easy, anyone could do it, right? (See what I did there?)

So, don't give me two Crown Royals and then ask me to make a speech at your wedding, because I might just bust into the advantages of recording to 2 inch tape.

Now, I think I have to go scream at some kids to get off my lawn.

Stay frosty.

Davemau5
10:02 AM on 02/17/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Sounds about right.

10:04 AM on 02/17/12
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen over 700 bands!
User Info.
Killed it!
10:04 AM on 02/17/12
IceAge/HeatWave
hello earth
User Info.
just submitted this a few minutes ago. i have trusted dave's intentions with this sentiment for awhile, but i'm glad he came out and clarified. i know he's got a broad-range of influences and music that he likes, but the foo fighters sound isn't exactly innovative, so i can see where someone less familiar with the guy might think this is a "rockist" approach.
10:05 AM on 02/17/12
Boucher187
Jonathan "Mox" Moxon
User Info.
Dave is the MAN!
10:06 AM on 02/17/12
DannyCostellar
Costellar / Danny
User Info.
Bravo, sir. And this is why Dave & the Foos will never lose my respect.
10:06 AM on 02/17/12
narca9
killed the beast!
User Info.
This man can do no wrong.

And anyone who thought he was shitting on electronic music should feel like an idiot now, because he clearly wasn't.
10:07 AM on 02/17/12
cowlord
( \_(ツ)_/)
User Info.
There goes my hero....
10:08 AM on 02/17/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
"Well, me and my big mouth. Never has a 33 second acceptance rant evoked such caps-lock postboard rage as my lil' ode to analog recording has. OK....maybe Kanye has me on this one, but....Imma let you finish....just wanted to clarify something..."

That cracked me up.
10:09 AM on 02/17/12
underdawg1119
fghtffyrdmns
User Info.
Love that man.
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Fuck yeah, Dave.
ReadyForAction
life in the greenhouse effect
User Info.
I love Dave Grohl way more than I love the Foo Fighters haha. Davemau5 should be a recurring thing
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Thank you based Grohl.
10:10 AM on 02/17/12
flyingmonkey711
User Info.
There goes my hero...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates