Username
Password
Steel Train News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Steel Train
Inside AP.net

Jack Antonoff: "Straight Allies: The...

Posted by: Jason Tate (02/17/12)
Jack Antonoff (fun., Steel Train) has posted an op-ed titled "Straight Allies: The Importance and the Realities" at The Huffington Post. If you've got some time today, check it out, please share it - and all that.
From the ArticleA large part of being an ally is establishing ourselves within our social and professional circles as people who will not tolerate homophobia in any form or under any circumstance. This is also, in many ways, the hardest part. It goes without saying that bringing up weighty issues can be awkward in social situations -- even more so, standing up to a colleague or a friend. My experience has led me to believe that people are excessively uncomfortable and often upset when homophobia is pointed out in social settings. I can't even begin to count the amount of times I have been called a "buzzkill" or, worse, pre-warned to keep my mouth shut before entering a dinner: "So-and-so's parents are super religious, so don't bring up the gay rights stuff." That felt seriously dark even to write, but nonetheless, these are actual words that have been said to me, and I believe they reveal a great deal -- namely that we as a culture place social comfort over right and wrong.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 49
11:07 AM on 02/17/12
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Really, really great article
11:14 AM on 02/17/12
ACA
Next Show: MotionCitySoundtrack @NY
User Info.
Really, really great article

Thumbs up.

It's nice to see bands stick up for equality. Jack's writing is also pretty outstanding.

I've never seen a Thursday show without Geoff make some sort of speech about rights for women and/or homosexuals. That's kind of off-topic, but I just wanted to present some more examples of musicians doing the right thing. Post your own, I'd like to see some others..

If you live in New Jersey, this is FREE and coming up soon:

https://www.facebook.com/events/222667597824543/

11:19 AM on 02/17/12
JustJaredH
User Info.
Awesome, love to see this
11:23 AM on 02/17/12
iheartmusic043
KKCO
User Info.
Already loved this guy and then he goes and writes this. It makes me so happy to hear a straight guy write about supporting LGBTQ rights since most of the time females are in the forefront as allies. Anne Hathaway once said in a speech, "...love is a human experience not a political statement...", and no statement holds truer.
11:29 AM on 02/17/12
latteluvr
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So great that the bands I love turn out to be really decent people, too.
11:31 AM on 02/17/12
neo506
Ten Stories
User Info.
11:34 AM on 02/17/12
idledoeskill
Saint Barbara, don't let me explode
User Info.
Great article

(so happy to live in WA state where gay marriage was just passed)
11:42 AM on 02/17/12
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
User Info.
Fantastic article, and it's great to know that a handful of musicians in this scene are trying to spread this message.
11:43 AM on 02/17/12
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Very well written article. It absolutely blows my mind that I live in a country that hasn't recognized gay (+etc) rights. It seems like it should be such a fucking no brainer.
11:45 AM on 02/17/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Very well written article. It absolutely blows my mind that I live in a country that hasn't recognized gay (+etc) rights. It seems like it should be such a fucking no brainer.
Dude can flat out write ... really impressed.
11:54 AM on 02/17/12
zachff
User Info.
Dude can flat out write ... really impressed.
He's one of those guys where you just think to yourself, "Really? What can't this guy do? Come on, spread the talent."

It'd be like if Jeremy Lin revealed that Cormack McCarthy was his pen name.
11:55 AM on 02/17/12
sargentlgfuad
Glass boy
User Info.
"We would rather let hate speak linger among us than endure that awkward moment when someone points out that something is simply not acceptable."

Beautifully written. Really brings a tear to my eye to know that there are such amazing people in this world.
12:00 PM on 02/17/12
zachff
User Info.
In a similar vein, Chris Cornell:
Quote:
Cornell jumped into action when a man in a business suit “called another man a queer when he overheard him make a pro-Obama statement. Cornell stepped up in the packed lounge and slammed the guy for making anti-gay comments.”
http://www.vulture.com/2012/02/chris...n-airport.html
12:00 PM on 02/17/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
He's one of those guys where you just think to yourself, "Really? What can't this guy do? Come on, spread the talent."

It'd be like if Jeremy Lin revealed that Cormack McCarthy was his pen name.

LOL
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News