AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 27 of 27
09:00 AM on 02/22/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
You think Thursday got worse with each release?

Are you new here? "Thursday Discussion" as in AP has one ever Thursday on a different topic.

But to answer your question, I stopped listening to Thursday after WATT. I love FC and WATT.
09:01 AM on 02/22/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I'd definitely say that putting out lackluster releases is much worse. Way better to end on top with a positive lasting impression in the heads of fans. I think of Armor for Sleep.

In terms of Culpa, while I love what they have done, I think they were smart to call it quits when they did. I think it's hard to say that a band that has been around over 8 years called it too early. They played a house show at my place last summer and I could definitely feel that they felt it was nearing the end.

I love AFS, but I detested their last album...they should have hung it up after WTDWYAD. Or recorded something that was actually good. Just my opinion.
09:07 AM on 02/22/12
KenneyBN
will be gone till July 2015 on mish
User Info.
Are you new here? "Thursday Discussion" as in AP has one ever Thursday on a different topic.

But to answer your question, I stopped listening to Thursday after WATT. I love FC and WATT.

Haha no im not, sorry my bad. Im listening to Thursday right now so it was just the first thing to come to mind.
09:12 AM on 02/22/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Haha no im not, sorry my bad. Im listening to Thursday right now so it was just the first thing to come to mind.

No doubt. I love their earliest stuff.
09:22 AM on 02/22/12
bobbyblacks
User Info.
i've always wondered what's worse, for a band to put out a couple of great records and then continue with a slew of lackluster ones or just release two or three solid albums and call it a day...having that be the lasting print?
i'm kind of torn on it. like ther are bands that put out their best records early on in their careers, for example new found glory, but they still continue to keep me interested with new releases. their fade isnt massive but they are still fading. but on the other hand, bands that only exist for a short time always have the reunion option and the gratification a reunion tour brings is incredible. i dont know if there really is a definitive better side to this question
09:42 AM on 02/22/12
FourStarters
Summer Jam
User Info.
It still hurts my heart to think about The Movielife and what could have been.

Quote:
Mon September 29, 2003 10:36:50 AM
I apologize for the delay in posting a statement about what has gone on in the last few days. Hopefully the following letter will say what would have been too difficult to announce any other way.

Today we are officially announcing that we have all mutually decided to stop being the Movielife. It has been the most incredible experience for all of us, but we have no plans to continue being a band. We care greatly for one another and wish each other the best that life can bring.

We want to thank everyone who has allowed us to be a part of their life. Every show and every person's effect on us has been immeasurable. We hope that we have created something that will continue to live and breathe like music should. It is difficult to find the words to explain the magnitude of various emotions we have all gone through recently. It also is difficult to make others understand how we have evaluated our futures.

The beauty of everything though has been the amount we have been able to share with all of you. All of our lives have forever been changed once we made this band our life. Every sacrifice has been worth it. You have all been our heart for so long and we are forever gracious for all that you have allowed us to become. We have been incredibly fortunate to have so many of our dreams come true. The only feeling that has surpassed that is the honor that it has been to share it with all of you. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Take care of one another. Love Always.
The Movielife.

The rumored six-album deal that Drive Thru had them in and the fact that they were playing some of their last shows with "drop us" on their amps in duct tape; I thought 40 Hour was pretty solid and I always wanted a follow up.
10:14 AM on 02/22/12
thefelixculpa
The Felix Culpa
User Info.
Hey guys. I'll save you all some discussion when it comes to Culpa: Had we not broken up when we did, we would've burned out, not musically but interpersonally. It probably wouldn't have done anyone any good. The songs would've still been fine (there were some that I had already worked on that I'm bummed will never see light), but in the end, we knew our glass was full and we wouldn't have been able to fill it any further without just making a mess.

It came down to us in the band making the call based on the people involved, and that's the way it should be. The memories, friendships and our personal family lives remaining intact was always more important than seeing what more we could do as the Culpa. We were proud of where we were and what we'd done with the little band we started as kids, and we each felt fulfilled and we still had love for each other. Why fuck with that?

The choice to end has to be each band's individual decision on what's right for them and their own circle. Like with anything else in life, there's no formula. No right or wrong way to do it. It's all subjective. This was the right way for us to do it, and I don't think any of us regret it. Other bands choose to keep pushing. That's right for them. We didn't want any more music from Culpa, even if other people did. It would've come from the wrong place and done everyone a disservice. Culpa was never about being a business or taking advantage of where we were ranked in a given scene. It was always just about making music together that meant something to us as people and friends. Again, we just didn't want to fuck with something we loved.

Thank ALL of you guys for listening to and backing the shit we made. Please keep an eye out for our new respective projects - Cut Teeth, Venna, Thereafter.

And thanks for the kind words, Adam. Hope I make it back to your place in Austin someday. Watch some more Heavyweights.

-Marky
11:00 AM on 02/22/12
mrn09
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love AFS, but I detested their last album...they should have hung it up after WTDWYAD. Or recorded something that was actually good. Just my opinion.

Oh yeah, totally agree with you. I meant them as an example of someone who should have hung it up a little earlier
11:06 AM on 02/22/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Oh yeah, totally agree with you. I meant them as an example of someone who should have hung it up a little earlier

No doubt. I was agreeing with you too. The first two albums are gold. One the bands of that type I'll still listen to.
11:16 AM on 02/22/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
It still hurts my heart to think about The Movielife and what could have been.

The rumored six-album deal that Drive Thru had them in and the fact that they were playing some of their last shows with "drop us" on their amps in duct tape; I thought 40 Hour was pretty solid and I always wanted a follow up.

This was honestly one of the worst music days in my life. Fairweather also broke up basically the same time. It sucked. Never got to see TML but I've seen IATA and met Vinnie. I'm greatful for all the music that he's made and he's been a hero of mine forever. I wish I could've seen TML as well.

(My cousin was actually really really good friends with him growing up and while he was with TML and he has some hilarious stories. Most of them involve my cousin, Vinnie and Daryl from Glassjaw being know as the best dancers in town haha)
04:21 PM on 02/22/12
FourStarters
Summer Jam
User Info.
This was honestly one of the worst music days in my life. Fairweather also broke up basically the same time. It sucked. Never got to see TML but I've seen IATA and met Vinnie. I'm greatful for all the music that he's made and he's been a hero of mine forever. I wish I could've seen TML as well.

(My cousin was actually really really good friends with him growing up and while he was with TML and he has some hilarious stories. Most of them involve my cousin, Vinnie and Daryl from Glassjaw being know as the best dancers in town haha)
I saw them on what I think was their 2nd to last time through Cleveland (with A Static Lullaby, Onelinedrawing, and Vendetta Red). Didn't get to see them on the $5 tour (I think that was summer 2003) before the breakup - still kick myself for missing it. I've since seen IATA a few times and saw Vinnie acoustic at school and here in town, but it's just not the same. Glad I got to see them before they ended.
07:26 PM on 02/22/12
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Hey guys. I'll save you all some discussion when it comes to Culpa: Had we not broken up when we did, we would've burned out, not musically but interpersonally. It probably wouldn't have done anyone any good. The songs would've still been fine (there were some that I had already worked on that I'm bummed will never see light), but in the end, we knew our glass was full and we wouldn't have been able to fill it any further without just making a mess.

It came down to us in the band making the call based on the people involved, and that's the way it should be. The memories, friendships and our personal family lives remaining intact was always more important than seeing what more we could do as the Culpa. We were proud of where we were and what we'd done with the little band we started as kids, and we each felt fulfilled and we still had love for each other. Why fuck with that?

The choice to end has to be each band's individual decision on what's right for them and their own circle. Like with anything else in life, there's no formula. No right or wrong way to do it. It's all subjective. This was the right way for us to do it, and I don't think any of us regret it. Other bands choose to keep pushing. That's right for them. We didn't want any more music from Culpa, even if other people did. It would've come from the wrong place and done everyone a disservice. Culpa was never about being a business or taking advantage of where we were ranked in a given scene. It was always just about making music together that meant something to us as people and friends. Again, we just didn't want to fuck with something we loved.

Thank ALL of you guys for listening to and backing the shit we made. Please keep an eye out for our new respective projects - Cut Teeth, Venna, Thereafter.

And thanks for the kind words, Adam. Hope I make it back to your place in Austin someday. Watch some more Heavyweights.

-Marky
Very well said. I wish I could articulate words about how I feel about the band. But then I just start blubbering like a giant bearded baby.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos