Password

Album Review - Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 230.
07:22 AM on 02/24/12
iswillweirdyes
Ignoramus
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this album is trash. there is one good song on it, and that's the intro song. it was pretty misleading though... it led me to believe the rest of the album was going to be complex and theatrical. that was not the case. theatrical, maybe, but mostly bland retro garbage.
07:28 AM on 02/24/12
Andrew.Salzillo
User Info.
Agree'd awesome review Mr. Beringer, I agree with you completely -- like you have already said at first it is a strike and appalling that Nate sunk to a level of producing an album of singles and using the vocalizer -- however I was dead wrong after actually finishing the album, it was not that he has sunk to that level, it is that he and Fun. have exceeded to such a level that is so rare, I didn't even realize it...this album will completely change the face of mainstream music indeed and Nate deserves to be on the bill as much as anyone else -- Congrats to the three of these awesome musicans on future Grammy's to come--Also shootout to Emily, she should be on that stage as well for what she has contributed to this band!
07:34 AM on 02/24/12
Andrew.Salzillo
User Info.
I can't believe how much praise this is getting! Aim and Ignite is one of my favorite albums of all time, but this is such a terrible follow-up. When I say terrible, I don't mean that it is a terrible album in and of itself. However, I was expecting so much after their first album that it actually makes me sick to my stomach to listen to this. I see people saying that Aim and Ignite was an extension of the Format, but I could definitely hear a distinct difference between A&I and either Format album. I could hear heart and soul in the music of A&I, where very little of that is present here. I actually saw fun. debut most of the songs on this album live (I've seen them five times and met them once). I have seen the band perform "We Are Young", "Carry On", "One Foot", "It Gets Better", "Some Nights", "Some Nights (Intro)" and "All Alone" live and they were all amazing songs that sounded like they could have been on Aim and Ignite (save for It Gets Better, which was still a lot better than the album version). That tells me that the songs themselves are not weak, but the production is what killed it! Jeff Bhasker might be good at producing hip-hop artists, but I think he should stay away from rock bands! The band completely supports what he did to their sound, though, so I can't place the blame on him entirely.
I disagree with some things that a lot of people are saying about this album. Here are short versions of these disagreements:
1. Auto-tune vs. Vocoder- Nate DOES use auto-tune on this album. Yes, he uses a vocoder as well, but he still uses auto-tune on a
couple sections of "Some Nights" (the song) and most of "Stars" (where auto-tune, vocoding, and a bunch of other crap is being
done simultaneously).
2. Auto-tune as an instrument- Some people are saying that the auto-tune is alright just because Nate doesn't need it and can
actually sing. That is a ridiculously stupid argument (and it's counter-intuitive). If you wanted to argue in favor of Nate using
auto-tune, saying something like "I think it sounds good because that's my opinion" would sound way smarter. I think Kanye
(who CAN'T sing well) uses it to a better effect in some of his songs. On this album, it honestly sounds like Nate was just
discovering these vocal effects and was just messing around.
3. Fun. sounds like Queen- Just because there are 200 layered vocal tracks on a song doesn't mean it automatically sounds like
Queen. I would agree that Queen is a major influence, though.
4. The haters just can't embrace change- Wrong. I love it when a band changes their sound to remain relevant and prevent musical
stagnation. Tool is one of my favorite bands and they sound completely different on all of their albums but the last two. These
guys left something that was still fresh for something similar to what has been done before. Why remove exciting elements from
your music in exchange for automation (the programmed drums kill me)? If they changed their sound in hopes of making more
money, however, I have to applaud them. I probably would too.

Song by Song:
1. Some Nights (Intro)- 9/10. I must say that I love this. The operatic background vocals are mixed a little high (my only complaint).
2. Some Nights- 8/10. This is another great song. I don't mind the vocal effects until late in the song when Nate goes a little wild with the auto-tune (NOT a vocoder).
3. We Are Young- 6.5/10. Had I not heard the live version first I may have ranked this higher. The recording has a weaker chorus (a bit
slower, too much vocal processing) and lacks the satisfying cut-outs on the bridge. Loses some life.
4. Carry On- 6.4/10. This one just isn't as strong a song as the previous songs were. I would like it more if it didn't have a cheesy
chorus.
5. It Gets Better- 1/10. The live version grew on me, but the vocal effects on the recording are too much! No redeeming qualities.
6. Why Am I the One?- 7/10. This is a good song. It isn't overdone and I like the lyrics.
7. All Alone- 6.5/10. It's overproduced but still kinda catchy.
8. All Alright- 5.7/10. This song isn't quite (all) alright. The beat that Bhasker put on it is pretty dumb and the vocals on the bridge
sound off-pitch (a little flat).
9. One Foot- 6/10. This song was AMAZING live. I can't tell you how disappointed I was to hear the recording. I can't even hear any
guitar! No dynamics to this one (save for the excellent bridge). A great song at its core, but too repetitive here.
10. Stars- 7/10. Another disappointment. I have never seen nor hear it live, but from the 90 second preview on Itunes, I was sure that
this would be my favorite song on the album. It's not. The first 2 or so minutes of the song is some of the best work
that the band (or even Nate Ruess) has done. I don't even mind when the song breaks down and the auto-tune kicks
in. What kills it for me is that the song NEVER picks back up. It just becomes an auto-tune fest for nearly five minutes!!
Not to mention it is a complete rip-off of Kanye (who is much better at the auto-tune game). I still have to give it a 7
because it has grown on me.
11. Out On the Town- 7.2/10. This one shouldn't have been a bonus track. It's pretty freakin' good.

P.S. I must be too dumb to figure out formatting on this site because when I previewed this post it took away all of the formatting that I had done.
Favorite Bands - Tool.
09:38 AM on 02/24/12
fobmcrafi6
down with the fad
User Info.
Love the Format, Love this album; Can't wait to go pick it up!!!!!!!
Met him [and his lovable wide mouth] at Bamboozle a couple years ago, and it was one of the most memorable moments there. So stoked that there pushing the boundaries for indie music <3
10:25 AM on 02/24/12
DeathOrGlory
I'm not fucked, not quite
User Info.
Some Nights is an anomaly in my view. I've seen countless artists release great sophomore albums that get knocked because they aren't like the debut. Then this dismal follow-up rears its head and people love it. A lot of the compositions are repetitive with simplistic lyrics yet somehow that's okay because fun. is indie.

I'm glad you're here to explain to everybody why people love this album. The songs are only okay because fun. is indie. You're right. Awesome job. Would listen to your truths again.
10:25 AM on 02/24/12
thesinkingship
she's a marshmallow
User Info.
I'm glad you're here to explain to everybody why people love this album. The songs are only okay because fun. is indie. You're right. Awesome job. Would listen to your truths again.
My pleasure. Though I said it is okay for fun. to write bland pop songs because they're indie. I didn't say the songs are "only okay" because fun. is indie. Big difference.
11:02 AM on 02/24/12
andSometimesY
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yes, Tool is one of my favorite bands as I said in the post. Fun. was also one of my favorite bands before this release but since I now only like 50% of their work (they only have two albums), I don't think I can say that any more. Aim and Ignite remains one of my favorite albums, though. Me liking Tool should have no bearing on the validity of my post. I just think they are a good example of a band who can change their sound in a creative and exciting way. I am not one of those Tool fans who can appreciate nothing else. I like everything from Progressive to Death Metal to Hip-Hop to Classical to Jazz to African Tribal music. Good music is good and bad music is bad.
11:27 AM on 02/24/12
70x7brandnew
User Info.
The bonus track "Out on the Town" might be the best song. I absolutely love this album start to finish.
11:27 AM on 02/24/12
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
I can't believe how much praise this is getting! Aim and Ignite is one of my favorite albums of all time, but this is such a terrible follow-up. When I say terrible, I don't mean that it is a terrible album in and of itself. However, I was expecting so much after their first album that it actually makes me sick to my stomach to listen to this. I see people saying that Aim and Ignite was an extension of the Format, but I could definitely hear a distinct difference between A&I and either Format album. I could hear heart and soul in the music of A&I, where very little of that is present here. I actually saw fun. debut most of the songs on this album live (I've seen them five times and met them once). I have seen the band perform "We Are Young", "Carry On", "One Foot", "It Gets Better", "Some Nights", "Some Nights (Intro)" and "All Alone" live and they were all amazing songs that sounded like they could have been on Aim and Ignite (save for It Gets Better, which was still a lot better than the album version). That tells me that the songs themselves are not weak, but the production is what killed it! Jeff Bhasker might be good at producing hip-hop artists, but I think he should stay away from rock bands! The band completely supports what he did to their sound, though, so I can't place the blame on him entirely.
I disagree with some things that a lot of people are saying about this album. Here are short versions of these disagreements:
1. Auto-tune vs. Vocoder- Nate DOES use auto-tune on this album. Yes, he uses a vocoder as well, but he still uses auto-tune on a couple sections of "Some Nights" (the song) and most of "Stars" (where auto-tune, vocoding, and a bunch of other crap is being
done simultaneously).
2. Auto-tune as an instrument- Some people are saying that the auto-tune is alright just because Nate doesn't need it and can actually sing. That is a ridiculously stupid argument (and it's counter-intuitive). If you wanted to argue in favor of Nate using
auto-tune, saying something like "I think it sounds good because that's my opinion" would sound way smarter. I think Kanye (who CAN'T sing well) uses it to a better effect in some of his songs. On this album, it honestly sounds like Nate was just discovering these vocal effects and was just messing around.
3. Fun. sounds like Queen- Just because there are 200 layered vocal tracks on a song doesn't mean it automatically sounds like Queen. I would agree that Queen is a major influence, though.
4. The haters just can't embrace change- Wrong. I love it when a band changes their sound to remain relevant and prevent musical stagnation. Tool is one of my favorite bands and they sound completely different on all of their albums but the last two. These guys left something that was still fresh for something similar to what has been done before. Why remove exciting elements from your music in exchange for automation (the programmed drums kill me)? If they changed their sound in hopes of making more money, however, I have to applaud them. I probably would too.
Song by Song:
1. Some Nights (Intro)- 9/10. I must say that I love this. The operatic background vocals are mixed a little high (my only complaint).
2. Some Nights- 8/10. This is another great song. I don't mind the vocal effects until late in the song when Nate goes a little wild with the auto-tune (NOT a vocoder).
3. We Are Young- 6.5/10. Had I not heard the live version first I may have ranked this higher. The recording has a weaker chorus (a bit slower, too much vocal processing) and lacks the satisfying cut-outs on the bridge. Loses some life.
4. Carry On- 6.4/10. This one just isn't as strong a song as the previous songs were. I would like it more if it didn't have a cheesy chorus.
5. It Gets Better- 1/10. The live version grew on me, but the vocal effects on the recording are too much! No redeeming qualities.
6. Why Am I the One?- 7/10. This is a good song. It isn't overdone and I like the lyrics.
7. All Alone- 6.5/10. It's overproduced but still kinda catchy.
8. All Alright- 5.7/10. This song isn't quite (all) alright. The beat that Bhasker put on it is pretty dumb and the vocals on the bridge sound off-pitch (a little flat).
9. One Foot- 6/10. This song was AMAZING live. I can't tell you how disappointed I was to hear the recording. I can't even hear any guitar! No dynamics to this one (save for the excellent bridge). A great song at its core, but too repetitive here.
10. Stars- 7/10. Another disappointment. I have never seen nor hear it live, but from the 90 second preview on Itunes, I was sure that this would be my favorite song on the album. It's not. The first 2 or so minutes of the song is some of the best work that the band (or even Nate Ruess) has done. I don't even mind when the song breaks down and the auto-tune kicks in. What kills it for me is that the song NEVER picks back up. It just becomes an auto-tune fest for nearly five minutes!! Not to mention it is a complete rip-off of Kanye (who is much better at the auto-tune game). I still have to give it a 7 because it has grown on me.
11. Out On the Town- 7.2/10. This one shouldn't have been a bonus track. It's pretty freakin' good.

P.S. I must be too dumb to figure out formatting on this site because when I previewed this post it took away all of the formatting that I had done.
You cannot possibly argue that they changed their sound to make more money. This makes your entire tl;dr post invalid.
11:37 AM on 02/24/12
andSometimesY
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You cannot possibly argue that they changed their sound to make more money. This makes your entire tl;dr post invalid.
That isn't what I'm arguing. That's why I put "if". I'm not sure why they changed their sound so much, to be honest. Nate has said multiple times that he has really been to hip-hop lately, so that's the only other reason I can think of. Just seems like a drastic change.
11:49 AM on 02/24/12
thesinkingship
she's a marshmallow
User Info.
This makes your entire tl;dr post invalid.

Even if that statement is indeed false, it doesn't invalidate any of their other points.
09:02 PM on 02/24/12
John_Barnes
I'm not a self help book.
User Info.
Really love how musically ambitious this album is. The only song I don't like is Stars.
11:27 PM on 02/24/12
DeathOrGlory
User Info.
My pleasure. Though I said it is okay for fun. to write bland pop songs because they're indie. I didn't say the songs are "only okay" because fun. is indie. Big difference.
Either way that's a big conclusion to jump to. I don't find these pop songs boring. The majority of the site seem to come to the conclusion that these pop songs aren't bland. To say that we find it okay that they write bland pop songs because they're indie is stupid. You find them bland and that's your opinion. None of us have said anything that contributes to what you have said.
11:30 PM on 02/24/12
thesinkingship
she's a marshmallow
User Info.
Either way that's a big conclusion to jump to. I don't find these pop songs boring. The majority of the site seem to come to the conclusion that these pop songs aren't bland. To say that we find it okay that they write bland pop songs because they're indie is stupid. You find them bland and that's your opinion. None of us have said anything that contributes to what you have said.
lol
11:38 PM on 02/24/12
DeathOrGlory
User Info.
I'm cool with your opinion on the album and everything and can understand why you don't like the album but from what I understand that post seemed kind of pompous. From what I understand, you're saying that if someone like say Adam Lambert released this exact album or fun. was already super mainstream, we wouldn't be digging it. If thats not what you're saying I apologize. If that was what you meant, I don't get it. Good music is good music.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS