Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 230.
05:59 AM on 02/22/12
CP_Ree
pewp
User Info.
one of the best albums of 2012 so far. "All Alright" is my favorite.
06:01 AM on 02/22/12
Memphis
Eight miles high and falling fast
User Info.
Album is amazing, and that's coming from someone who didn't even like Aim and Ignite and was ready to hate it because of those Kanye West references... It was a brave move from them but it ended up great.

It reminds me of Pet Sounds and what Beatles did in their experimental era (hopeI'm not the only one), and Some Nights isn't much worse than that...
06:02 AM on 02/22/12
wall e
@mattobrien37
User Info.
9.5/10 looks so much nicer than 95/100. #apbetaforever

Good review, I hope i can find this on vinyl for cheaper than $25.
06:05 AM on 02/22/12
ReadyForAction
life in the greenhouse effect
User Info.
If this doesn't end up being my AOTY then it will definitely be in the top 3
06:08 AM on 02/22/12
Chemical Love
-
User Info.
The first time I listened to it I thought it sounded like Queen. And thats a good thing.
06:19 AM on 02/22/12
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
I love this album so much. It gets better with every listen, and you definitely get used to the vocoder over time. Great review, I agree that there is a pretty good chance we see fun. accepting a Grammy next year for best new artist, and for once the award will be going to the right group!
06:24 AM on 02/22/12
ExtremeAvalanch
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Glad to hear that "We Are Young" may be the weakest track. I really don't care for that song.
06:26 AM on 02/22/12
brandonisstupid
User Info.
Really hoping repeated listens will help this album to grow on me. I loved their first album and my initial thoughts on this record were that it was a disappointment.
06:30 AM on 02/22/12
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
The first time I listened to it I thought it sounded like Queen. And thats a good thing.
I remember 3 years ago telling my boss to check this band out because we had been non stop listening to Queen radio for about a year and I needed something new in the office. He said they are OK but will never get the recognition that Queen has. It was so great to rub it in his face after the super bowl.
06:31 AM on 02/22/12
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Best review I've read on this site in a lot time. We certainly have similar thoughts on this record: My review.
06:33 AM on 02/22/12
thirtyfourdays
Brandon
User Info.
I'm very 50/50 on the album and if I love it or just am okay with it.

There are extremely strong songs in Some Nights (Intro), Some Nights, Carry On, All Alright and One Foot.

I'll go out and say that We Are Young, All Alone, Why Am I The One and Out On The Town (which I know is a "bonus track" are all good but not great. I've found that I skip It Gets Better almost every single play. It just does nothing for me.

Now before anyone jumps all over me and says I'm crazy, I expect a lot from this band and especially Ruess. The Format as well as Fun. have put out some of my all time favorite albums. Dog Problems and Aim and Ignite are masterpieces.

Maybe my expectations were a bit too high. Maybe my taste has changed, but to me this is more of a 7/10 than a 9.5/10.

Anybody else feeling the same way?
06:34 AM on 02/22/12
BottleRocket
Roll Tide Roll
User Info.
I love when bands are ambitious, and it's even better when they actually succeed.
06:41 AM on 02/22/12
Aziraphale
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Probably the third time I've said it somewhere on this site, but "Some Nights" (the song) absolutely makes this album. Not that there isn't quality throughout, but I can't remember, in my entire life, ever hearing the a song for the first time and being floored by it the way this one did.
06:47 AM on 02/22/12
kismet
Occasionally a fan girl
User Info.
Nice review. I completely agree with the part about the vocoder/autotune. At first I wasn't so sure about it, but it works. I absolutely love Stars.
06:49 AM on 02/22/12
thirtyfourdays
Brandon
User Info.
Also, the fact that the vinyl is $25 in most places is fairly ridiculous. I don't get how some bands release vinyl for $15 and under for 180 gram and some are $25 or over.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests