Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 226
06:51 AM on 02/22/12
spiffa0
The Low-Cal Calzone Zone
User Info.
9.5/10 looks so much nicer than 95/100. #apbetaforever

Good review, I hope i can find this on vinyl for cheaper than $25.
I got it for 24.99...

Worth it though. If you get the gatefold it comes with the CD as well.
06:55 AM on 02/22/12
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
Agree with the 9.5/10, this album is everything I want out of an album. Different, experimental, and exceptionally good. The production on this is just fantastic. 2012 will belong to this band.
07:01 AM on 02/22/12
Memphis
Eight miles high and falling fast
User Info.
some nights is by far my most favourite song right now...
07:06 AM on 02/22/12
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
I'm very 50/50 on the album and if I love it or just am okay with it.

There are extremely strong songs in Some Nights (Intro), Some Nights, Carry On, All Alright and One Foot.

I'll go out and say that We Are Young, All Alone, Why Am I The One and Out On The Town (which I know is a "bonus track" are all good but not great. I've found that I skip It Gets Better almost every single play. It just does nothing for me.

Now before anyone jumps all over me and says I'm crazy, I expect a lot from this band and especially Ruess. The Format as well as Fun. have put out some of my all time favorite albums. Dog Problems and Aim and Ignite are masterpieces.

Maybe my expectations were a bit too high. Maybe my taste has changed, but to me this is more of a 7/10 than a 9.5/10.

Anybody else feeling the same way?
i gave it an 8/10 over on mind equals blown. i think it's a great record, but not as perfect as a lot of people paint it to be. if you're interested, the review can be found here.
07:16 AM on 02/22/12
epaynedds
User Info.
I would not give the album this high of a score. There are some songs I LOVE, but then there are like 3-4 that are kind of annoying/ ones I always skip.
07:19 AM on 02/22/12
katieissweet
@katelyndonahue
User Info.
Great review for an outstanding album.
07:19 AM on 02/22/12
epaynedds
User Info.

There are extremely strong songs in Some Nights (Intro), Some Nights, Carry On, All Alright and One Foot.

I'll go out and say that We Are Young, All Alone, Why Am I The One and Out On The Town (which I know is a "bonus track" are all good but not great. I've found that I skip It Gets Better almost every single play. It just does nothing for me.

Now before anyone jumps all over me and says I'm crazy, I expect a lot from this band and especially Ruess. The Format as well as Fun. have put out some of my all time favorite albums. Dog Problems and Aim and Ignite are masterpieces.

Maybe my expectations were a bit too high. Maybe my taste has changed, but to me this is more of a 7/10 than a 9.5/10.

I absolutely agree. And just because I love The Format/fun., doesn't mean I can't say this isn't that good of a record. I respect Nate and what he was going for, but as far as being good and making me want to listen to this more than twice, only a few songs grabbed me.
07:20 AM on 02/22/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
"So maybe that’s why fans will be initially shocked by fun.’s second album (and Fueled by Ramen debut) Some Nights. But the more you listen to and dig into the album, the more you’ll realize that the manifesto that Ruess wrote nearly 6 years ago still rings true throughout. Ruess is still writing what he wants without any outside pressure, albeit this time it was something fans weren’t completely expecting."

I can see where you're coming from here. As someone that definitely calls bullshit when I find a band has "tweeked" their sound for the radio, I found it more as fun. just writing some of the best pop songs out there to date. Lyrics kill. Music kills. Just an all around solid release.

Great score. Great review
07:27 AM on 02/22/12
harley7733
Reluctant Registered User
User Info.
This reads more like a defense then a review. I think this score is way too high. The lyrics are some of the weakest Nate's ever written, far inferior to Aim and Ignite.
07:28 AM on 02/22/12
Manufactured Dreams
Fabricated Revolution
User Info.

I knew I would love this review! Great job, Drew!
07:30 AM on 02/22/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
This reads more like a defense then a review. I think this score is way too high. The lyrics are some of the weakest Nate's ever written, far inferior to Aim and Ignite.
lolno
07:33 AM on 02/22/12
harley7733
Reluctant Registered User
User Info.

I feel you completely. This is my exact sentiments and probably the same score I'd give, maybe a 7.5.
07:39 AM on 02/22/12
funnydave
speak but a whisper...
User Info.
I'm glad people love this album so much, and I'm glad fun. is getting tons of recognition because they are talented dudes and deserve it all.

With that being said, this album is just pretty good. There are some great moments, but there are also sub-par moments. "It Gets Better" is not a good song, no matter how much it's defended. It's cool that they're taking chances, though, and it's obvious that the passion is still there. It will be interesting to see how much popularity they get out of this.
07:39 AM on 02/22/12
onepartloss
User Info.
Well-written and crafted review. I was actually somewhat underwhelmed by the steps forward they took when I initially listened to it - but have grown to appreciate the directional shifts and new instrumentation they've chosen to implement. I also wholeheartedly agree with Drew's assessment of It Gets Better, as I was thoroughly turned off by it upon first listen, but now can't seem to get it out of my head.

I also completely agree with the fact that this record will find the band breaking into the mainstream in a major way and while, at times, it feels like parts of this record were created with the intention of doing just that - you can't blame a pop band for making a pop record.
07:40 AM on 02/22/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I've always felt Nate's lyrics with The Format have been superior to fun. Still, Ill be digging into the album in the coming months and I've always supported anything Nate has done. "One Foot" and "Intro" are for sure my favorites on the album. He has such a way of pulling in listeners right from the onset.

He definitely tapped into some big, brave, theatrical 70s pop on this release and it's pretty awesome.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos