Password

Comments: Page 9
Displaying posts 120 - 135 of 230
07:53 PM on 02/22/12
Mr.Piano93
I hate my username.
User Info.
No chance they will win the Grammy.

For Best New Artist? I would not at all be surprised to see them get a nomination for that.
08:27 PM on 02/22/12
lava890
User Info.
I'll go out and say that We Are Young, All Alone, Why Am I The One and Out On The Town (which I know is a "bonus track" are all good but not great. I've found that I skip It Gets Better almost every single play. It just does nothing for me.

Now before anyone jumps all over me and says I'm crazy, I expect a lot from this band and especially Ruess. The Format as well as Fun. have put out some of my all time favorite albums. Dog Problems and Aim and Ignite are masterpieces.

Maybe my expectations were a bit too high. Maybe my taste has changed, but to me this is more of a 7/10 than a 9.5/10.

Anybody else feeling the same way?

Not to play devil's advocate on purpose, but All Alone and Why Am I The One are my favorites right now (since I've heard We Are Young too many times by now).

And I love the whole album.
09:03 PM on 02/22/12
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.
Fantastic album. My favorite of 2012 so far. Great review, Drew.
09:06 PM on 02/22/12
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Maybe I don't have a complete grasp on this record yet. But that's something I have to work through, because Nate and the dudes certainly lay the theme on thick and heavy. It's just a really nice parallel between how someone in the music industry for this long feels and how we all feel (in terms of making our marks on whatever field it is we choose). Sure, I don't know what it's like to be passed over for a record deal or a whatever-the-fuck. But the mentality here is, mostly, a pure statement on how this is the time of our lives when we are given basically free reign to make things happen. On songs like "One Foot" or whatever, when he sings, "I don't need a new life / Just another place to die," it sounds bleak but it's also this sort of forward movement somehow. It's like, this isn't working, so I'm going to try this instead.

Some Nights, to me, is a moment in time record that can last a lifetime. Lately the records that have touched me have worn thin when I look at the long term. Will those sentiments really stick with me when I'm a different person in a different time period (even though, let's be honest, are we ever different people, really?). I don't know. But with this one, I feel like things are left just vague enough that it won't matter what time period this was created in, but what mindset we are in to receive it. Who knows, really? But, I suppose, all I mean to say is that a "coming of age" album is mostly a bullshit fairy tale. This is more like a coming-of-self story. It's about getting to know yourself and not being afraid of what you find.
10:14 PM on 02/22/12
Formatfun
Format, The, Format, The
User Info.
Love it of course.

Can't wait to see where they go from here.
10:25 PM on 02/22/12
Seth Robinson
User Info.
This is a great album, particularly "Some Nights Intro", "Some Nights" and "All Alright". Aim and Ignite is way way way way way way way way way better on all levels though.
10:49 PM on 02/22/12
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
This is a great album, particularly "Some Nights Intro", "Some Nights" and "All Alright". Aim and Ignite is way way way way way way way way way better on all levels though.
agreed. I enjoy the album but I don't think even close to as good as aim and ignite.
11:08 PM on 02/22/12
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Surprised how some are saying the autotune is a nagging point -- I barely even notice it. This is just pitch-perfect pop music. Not watered down bullshit, just straightforward & traditional with a touch of modern-day production hints. Still boggles my mind that the guys who write these hooks wrote ones just like this in their other bands. How did mainstream America miss that?! I'll always love & appreciate the Format and Steel Train, but damn it if fun. hasn't made me recognize an entirely new angle on both Nate and Jack's capabilities.
01:12 AM on 02/23/12
mkohler
Get Myself Together
User Info.
This is a fantastic album. Even "It Gets Better" grew on me after a few listens.
04:48 AM on 02/23/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
this is what people said when bon iver released his album last year.
I am a HUGE Fun. fan and I really respect their work and this record but I can assure you they are not going to win the Grammy next year.
04:48 AM on 02/23/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Surprised how some are saying the autotune is a nagging point -- I barely even notice it. This is just pitch-perfect pop music. Not watered down bullshit, just straightforward & traditional with a touch of modern-day production hints. Still boggles my mind that the guys who write these hooks wrote ones just like this in their other bands. How did mainstream America miss that?! I'll always love & appreciate the Format and Steel Train, but damn it if fun. hasn't made me recognize an entirely new angle on both Nate and Jack's capabilities.
Well said homie. Btw, over/under on Mariner wins this year? Any thoughts?
04:50 AM on 02/23/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Maybe I don't have a complete grasp on this record yet. But that's something I have to work through, because Nate and the dudes certainly lay the theme on thick and heavy. It's just a really nice parallel between how someone in the music industry for this long feels and how we all feel (in terms of making our marks on whatever field it is we choose). Sure, I don't know what it's like to be passed over for a record deal or a whatever-the-fuck. But the mentality here is, mostly, a pure statement on how this is the time of our lives when we are given basically free reign to make things happen. On songs like "One Foot" or whatever, when he sings, "I don't need a new life / Just another place to die," it sounds bleak but it's also this sort of forward movement somehow. It's like, this isn't working, so I'm going to try this instead.

Some Nights, to me, is a moment in time record that can last a lifetime. Lately the records that have touched me have worn thin when I look at the long term. Will those sentiments really stick with me when I'm a different person in a different time period (even though, let's be honest, are we ever different people, really?). I don't know. But with this one, I feel like things are left just vague enough that it won't matter what time period this was created in, but what mindset we are in to receive it. Who knows, really? But, I suppose, all I mean to say is that a "coming of age" album is mostly a bullshit fairy tale. This is more like a coming-of-self story. It's about getting to know yourself and not being afraid of what you find.
That was incredibly well-said.
04:53 AM on 02/23/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
For Best New Artist? I would not at all be surprised to see them get a nomination for that.
They will probably get nominated, sure. I just don't see them winning at all. But then again Milli Vanilli and Evanescence have won Best New Artist before, so who the hell knows.
05:08 AM on 02/23/12
JinxRemoving
User Info.
Great review! I completely agree with the score, my favorite album of the year so far.
07:36 AM on 02/23/12
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
I am a HUGE Fun. fan and I really respect their work and this record but I can assure you they are not going to win the Grammy next year.

That's what Bon iver fans said.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version