rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
The Kinks were never really a pop band.
01:30 PM on 02/22/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
Yes they were. Maybe not as 'popular' as other British invasion bands - which I've always found to be one of the biggest travesties in rock n roll - but they most certainly wrote pop songs, and they wrote a lot of them.
Only their first few singles and albums could be considered pop, and even that had enough of a hard rock and blues influence that I wouldn't consider them pop. Sure stuff like "Sunny Afternoon" and "Waterloo Sunset" had pop elements, especially the former, but they were always experimenting to the point where I wouldn't call them a "pop band." The further they got in their discography they further they moved away from pop music.

And IDK what you're talking about, but the only British Invasion band that made pop music was The Beatles.
01:48 PM on 02/22/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
this. maybe not an exact mold. Pop like Spoon I'd say.
Ah, yeah, see I couldn't call Spoon pop either, so it's really all relative, I suppose. Sorry for starting a disagreement.
01:50 PM on 02/22/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
This album isn't doing much for me. It probably doesn't help when I see so many people jizzing their pants over it. Aim & Ignite still gets multiple plays a week from me. I'm on the fence about this one. Major props to Nate & Jack though. Stack bills.
This is kind of how I'm starting to feel. I haven't heard it yet and probably won't get it for another week or two unless I download it, which I don't really want to do, but I'm afraid it's not going to live up to the hype.

That happened with Thrice's Major/Minor for me. People were calling it like an AOTY candidate and I wouldn't even put it in the top half of the band's discography, so I felt really let down.
01:55 PM on 02/22/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
I get the same way about hyped releases. Usually, I'll pick them up and let them die down for a few months. For price sake, you might want to grab it this week since it's on the cheap at Best Buy and elsewhere.
Oh I would have it (and The Menzingers) already except monies. I feel bad because I'd love to help contribute to their first week sales.
02:51 PM on 02/22/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
Wait, so the Kinks "experimented to the point where you wouldn't call them pop," but the Beatles are the only British Invasion band that you would call "pop"? Aren't you kind of contradicting yourself? The Beatles evolved into one of the most experimental band of their time.
Yeah, but I'm talking in terms of releasing music at any point that could be considered pure pop. As in, early Beatles stuff was just straight pop music, whereas even early Kinks stuff had more blues and hard rock influences.

In later years The Beatles were unquestionably more experimental (though not necessarily better) than the Kinks, but their initial output was pop music, plain and simple.

Catch my drift?
06:05 PM on 02/22/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
I caught that drift, and it felt real nice.
Haha, something about that post made me lol for real.
06:28 AM on 02/23/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
This is exceptionally incorrect. Herman's Hermits, Donovan, Peter and Gordon, Petula Clark were all part of the British Invasion, among others.
I think we were talking about the Big 4: Beatles, Stones, Kinks and Who. At least, I was. I know nothing of the Invasion beyond them.
10:23 AM on 02/23/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
You said: "The only British Invasion band that made pop music was the Beatles."

That's not true.
Yeah, bro, I admitted my ignorance and explained that I was under the impression that were just talking about the four bands primarily credited as leading the Invasion, because that's usually all I've discussed in relation to that term.

I mean, fuck, I'm really sorry if I offended you man.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests