AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

You Blew It! - 02.22.12

Interviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (02/22/12)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

You Blew It!

www.youblewitfl.com
www.youblewit.bandcamp.com
www.facebook.com/youblewitfl
www.twitter.com/youblewit

How did you get your band name?

Overexposure to nostalgic pop culture, excessive quoting of said pop culture, and because the name Run Home Jack was only cool for 45 minutes. I wish I had a more intelligent response for this question.

How did this band get started?

Initially, though boredom and frustration. It was and always has been kind of an excuse to spend time and interact with friends, but YBI never would have formed if we werenít absolutely sick of dealing with bad promoters and essentially paying to play in previous bands.

What bands are you influenced by?

Weíre definitely super influenced by some of the more obvious bands in this scene like American Football and The Appleseed Cast, but we also pull a lot from bands like Northstar, Saves the Day, Brand New, and The Get Up Kids.

If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Weíre all huge Piebald fans, so thatís the obvious answer, but I think we could do something with a SlipKnot tour. People Equal Shit.

Best food to eat on tour?

Roburritos in York, PA. Thatís not even a fair question.

Why should people listen to your band?

Weíre normal guys. Weíre all just college kids that are partial to riding around in a van for way too long, essentially. Weíre perpetually learning and growing up, and thatís the kind of stuff we sing about. Iíd like to think that makes us relatable in some sense.

If you could be an athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Anyone but Kendrick Perkins, really. Iím sure you saw that Blake Griffin dunk.

If you won a Grammy, whom would you thank?

I think we would probably use our allotted thank you time to rag on Greg Horbal. Either him or Derek Perry. One of the two.

If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I kind of touched on this earlier. We really hate the whole selling pre-sales/pay-to-play idea. I donít even know why itís still around. I canít tell you the amount of times weíve had to sell pre-sales for shows and ended up digging out of our own pockets because we didnít reach a quota or hit some number. Itís a shallow promotion technique and it doesnít belong in music. There are exceptions for everything of course, but weíve always had a hard time finding one for this.

Memorable tour experience?

On our second tour ever in 2010, we took a day off on New Years Eve in Philadelphia to see The World Is A Beautiful PlaceÖ and Stay Ahead of the Weather play. Come May 2011, we ended up doing some Florida shows with Evan and Nick from SAOTW on a Fake Problems tour, and we just recently got to play this last New Years Eve with TWIABP. Some other things went our way, and now weíre lucky enough to call those guys friends. We played a couple shows with The Get Up Kids once too. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around that one.

What does AP.net mean to you?

Some of us more or less grew up on this website. Personally, I got an account when I was 14 years old, and I kind of based my initial music tastes through the bands that showed up here from time to time. The same goes for some of the other guys too. I know our old guitarist Trevor is more or less the same way.

What is your favorite song to play?

As a band, we all really like playing Hope Itís Not A Deposit Bottle and a newer song called Pinball House. Iím pretty sure theyíve both been in every set weíve played in the past year.

What is your vacation spot of choice?

Uranus.

What music reminds you of your child hood?

Khia Ė My Neck My Back. The Dragon Ball Z theme song too.

If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

If we could all have one collective super power, Iím pretty sure it would be the ability to not smell Andy after a week on tour. Oof.

Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

I donít know if not being able to find each other at our set time is a ritual or not, but yeah. That.

What is something that most fans donít know about you?

We tweet at ICP trying to get on The Gathering ON THE REG. They donít tweet back.

What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think itís a place where your band could flourish?

I donít think any of us have any real heavy opinions on the radio. I suppose we still support it to an extent though. We all listen to NPR and the occasional talk radio show, but I do know that I started making way more meaningful musical discoveries when I stopped listening to the radio. I feel like thatís changing though. It seems thereís a lot more passion in some of the shows that still exist these days.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

We all really like listening to Dikembe, also plugging bands.

What kind of hidden talents do you have?

We can watch Netflix on our parentsí accounts for way longer than what should be possible. Also weíre okay at bowling.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5.
09:57 PM on 02/22/12
Sam DeBurns Red
User Info.
Love this crap man.
06:55 AM on 02/23/12
Startswithk
Somebody's gonna miss out!
User Info.
Jerks.
01:44 AM on 02/24/12
mps
Smile In Regret
User Info.
Best dudes.
04:35 PM on 04/19/12
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
User Info.
Yeah for a Dikembe shout out, both awesome bands.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums