AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Tiny Riots - 02.23.12

Interviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (02/23/12)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Tiny Riots

www.reverbnation.com/tinyriots
tinyriots.bandcamp.com
tinyriots.com

1. How did you get your band name?

Tiny Riots singer, bassist, and founder Mike Lau came up with the name about a year prior to the band's actual formation. He spends a lot of time thinking of names and titles for things, even if they have nothing to attach to yet. He explains a Tiny Riot is something that happens in your head, and in your heart.

2. How did this band get started?

It all started in July 2010 when neighbors Mike Lau and Patrick Rolain wrote one song together. Lau was also writing material with then girlfriend Kerri Mack. Shortly after, and without even hearing any material. Lau's other neighbor Dan Stoffels told Lau and Rolain he was available to work on the project. The last member to join was guitarist and child hood friend of Lau, Alex Bruder. Tiny Riots then took a few months to write songs and played their first show in late October of the same year.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

To each, their own. Some of my big ones are The Cure, At The Drive-In, Cursive, Death Cab For Cutie.
I know Alex really likes Brand New, Braid, Refused. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Honestly, if I had the choice to tour where ever i wanted without having to worry about money or anything like that. I would take some of my best friends and their bands like Omninaut, and Gerri X around the world with us.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

That all depends on where you are. It's different where ever you go. Just ask someone local where the best place to eat is, and go there. You'll never go wrong.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

I guess for the same reason you should give every new artist a chance. It's therapy. All my sadness, or rage, whatever. I just put those feelings into my music and it feels really good. And it feels amazing when you're sad and you listen to your favorite song, or band. Hopefully, Tiny Riots can do that for someone.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Ha. I've honestly never thought about that. Honestly any would do, because they all have way more money than me, and I don't give a fuck about sports.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

I would just steal Justin Vernon's (Bon Iver) speech from this year. His was perfect.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I'd probably start by giving the industry back to musicians. I'm sure i don't have to explain what's wrong with this industry today. But luckily, with the internet it's a lot easier to be indie. Just not usually profitable usually. You have to work really hard.

10. Memorable tour experience?

I love everything about touring. When I'm on the road with my band, I feel an actual sense of meaning to my life. As far as particulars? It might have to be about this girl that we all hated because she was soooo annoying. But a certain member of our band chose to ignore that fact and went home with her. He felt so awkard the next morning that he left her place right away, and then had to walk around for like four hours and talk to bums until we came and got him.

11. What is your favorite song to play?

It changes all the time. Usually it's just the newest one that we have in our roster.

12. What is your vacation spot of choice?

I haven't been to Europe yet. I really want to go!

13. What music reminds you of your childhood?

My first musical interest was Neil Diamond. I listened to his tapes over and over. It brings me back every time i listen to him.

14. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Mind Control. You could do literally whatever you wanted if you could control peoples minds.... like a Jedi!

15. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

No, nothing like that. Unless you count having a couple beers before and during a show

16. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Good question. I don't think we have enough fans to even think about something like that. In general I'm a very indifferent person. I don't think people know that until the talk to me.

17. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Anything's possible. There is always a handful of good, interesting music that breaks through to the main stream. That's what everyone wants, right? Well, not everyone. But we'd take it.

18. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Watching movies, going out with friends, discovering new music. Traveling is a big one.

19. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Good question. I'm not really sure, because they're probably hidden. Hopefully some new ones come out in the future. That's how you grow, right?

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums