Username
Password
Mxpx News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Mxpx
Inside AP.net

30 Second Previews of New MxPx Album

Posted by: Jason Tate (02/27/12)
30 second previews of all of the songs from MxPx's new album, Plans Within Plans, are now on Amazon.

Submitted by nick19

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 33
09:15 AM on 02/27/12
Fox83
User Info.
Aces Up sounds like a typical MxPx opener - which is a good thing.

Edit: OK I've swept through these clips. I have to say, this is probably my least anticipated MxPx release. It feels very "safe" by MxPx standards. It seems like every song has the same tone and tempo, generally speaking of course - kind of a Bad Religion vibe. I hope hearing these songs in full really delivers more fleshed out songs. I'm just not hearing any memorable riffs or hooks.

I'm not saying I want the next Before Everything and After (which was terribly underrated, I believe), but I was hoping they'd take a few chances and really add some memorable moments to another album in their catalog. Secret Weapon had flashes of this, but overall it never fully settled down for me. I felt Secret Weapon would lead to another album that punctuated the direction they were going with on that album.

I'm (very) cautiously optimistic. Bottom line.
09:28 AM on 02/27/12
fallingapart101
fallingapart1016
User Info.
Not listening to this until the album drops. Speaking of which, Philly's own Jump Start Records will be releasing the album on vinyl!

http://www.jumpstartrecords.com/v3/main.php
09:40 AM on 02/27/12
Charlieistony
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I felt secret weapon was too... ambitious with the production side. there were a few good songs but I feel like this will be a better release for mxpx, it sounds like their OLD stuff bu a little heavier and mature. I think this will be a good album for the pop-punk/punk resurgence. I'm lookin forward to it.
10:09 AM on 02/27/12
Kid Defender
Typo
User Info.
Aces Up sounds like a typical MxPx opener - which is a good thing.

Edit: OK I've swept through these clips. I have to say, this is probably my least anticipated MxPx release. It feels very "safe" by MxPx standards. It seems like every song has the same tone and tempo, generally speaking of course - kind of a Bad Religion vibe. I hope hearing these songs in full really delivers more fleshed out songs. I'm just not hearing any memorable riffs or hooks.

I'm not saying I want the next Before Everything and After (which was terribly underrated, I believe), but I was hoping they'd take a few chances and really add some memorable moments to another album in their catalog. Secret Weapon had flashes of this, but overall it never fully settled down for me. I felt Secret Weapon would lead to another album that punctuated the direction they were going with on that album.

I'm (very) cautiously optimistic. Bottom line.
Wow, I have a completely different opinion / vibe about these clips. This sounds like, easily, the best stuff (from the samples, at least) they have recorded in over a decade. I hope you're pleasantly surprised!
10:10 AM on 02/27/12
Kid Defender
Typo
User Info.
Oh, and Mike's vocals sound really good on these clips. I really had a hard time getting past his vocals on the last... three or four releases, but he sounds great on these songs. When it comes to you sounds so damn good!
10:12 AM on 02/27/12
TSLataris
Representin' the 514
User Info.
My word these clips sound awesome! This MIGHT be my favorite MxPx CD since The Ever Passing Moment.
10:16 AM on 02/27/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Secret Weapon was extremely underrated.
10:25 AM on 02/27/12
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
agreed! I actually had forgot there was a new MxPx album so I will get on that when it comes out.
10:46 AM on 02/27/12
fsmith84
Lock and load
User Info.
This - "Shut It Down"? "Contention"? The whole album is energy filled.

I don't think they've ever had a "dud" release in proper form; some EP's are a bit thin sometimes, but they have something like 7 dozen of them, so I give them a break.
10:52 AM on 02/27/12
Jason Tate
User Info.

I don't think they've ever had a "dud" release in proper form; some EP's are a bit thin sometimes, but they have something like 7 dozen of them, so I give them a break.
"Panic" is my least favorite. But still good.
10:55 AM on 02/27/12
fsmith84
Lock and load
User Info.
"Panic" is my least favorite. But still good.

Exactly - despite it being too bloated (I feel like each of the last 4 songs on the album is the sound of an album running out of gas, only to keep going to another similar sounding song until we get to "This Weekend" which is a great closer), it's still a damn good release.

If that's their low-water mark, they're still not bone-dry, is what I'm saying. Which sounds stupid, but I've already typed it and I'm too lazy to turn back now.
11:44 AM on 02/27/12
blindrider529
***NICKEL CREEK*** <--GO LISTEN NOW
User Info.
I'll listen to these clips as soon as the new John Mayer song is finished playing...but I just thought I'd throw in that I LOVED Panic. MxPx has never, ever disapointed me.
12:03 PM on 02/27/12
PlanetDahmz
User Info.
Sounds awesome, can't wait for this to drop.
12:08 PM on 02/27/12
SLoT
Stage three has begun.
User Info.

"Bass So Low" is a monster jam in my car. When that bridge comes in, shiiiitttt.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums