AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 27 of 27
11:43 PM on 02/28/12
harveyn590
User Info.
Seems weird though; sure 20K is a lot, but I'm sure if this band hadn't broken up they could have made at least that amount in total from playing a few shows these last few months. Plus I'm sure they would have been able to play some summer festivals that shell out a lot of money too. That's kind of the trade off a band makes when they decide to break up...no more gig money. They just kind of forgot about that part?
I believe this also serves as a warm up for an upcoming South American tour.

Lets also not forget about the pressures of continuing the momentum of a band. If they just took an unannounced break for 2/3/4 years and done a few one-offs, they would have disappeared. We would have been waiting for new music or anticipating another tour every 8 months or so. As for 20k for a one off, come on, thats good for one show. And with no crazy traveling or touring expenses, this will have a higher percentage be profit.
04:42 AM on 02/29/12
Fenix TX
Joaopaulocvale
User Info.
Hell yeah!
07:18 AM on 02/29/12
plns
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
$20,000+???? Granted, I'm not a big Rx Bandits fan, and I have no idea whether UCSD is a school or a music festival, $20,000+ seems excessive...
Dude, I am being pretty conservative on that guess. I used to tour manage a few bands that are fairly popular and get posted on here frequently but they're nowhere near as big as RX. They normally got paid about $5,000+ for college shows.
07:22 AM on 02/29/12
plns
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Fucking seriously. Also 20k is nothing compared to the budget for Sun God (our largest festival) which is at least 500k.
Hahah, I don't think you guys are understanding this. Schools have an entertainment budget. Basically, 20k isn't their entire budget. Their entire budget is probably $300,000. California schools probably have the highest budgets. Most of the budget is having bands play for free at the school. I know that Cute Is What We Aim For's guarantee for a college show about 3 years ago was $40,000.
07:40 AM on 02/29/12
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
Please give me a follow up to "Mandala." That album was pure brilliance and I thought it was the beginning to a new better RX Bandits... and then they broke up. PLEASE record again!!!
11:29 AM on 02/29/12
spenser
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hahah, I don't think you guys are understanding this. Schools have an entertainment budget. Basically, 20k isn't their entire budget. Their entire budget is probably $300,000. California schools probably have the highest budgets. Most of the budget is having bands play for free at the school. I know that Cute Is What We Aim For's guarantee for a college show about 3 years ago was $40,000.
UCSD Alum here. I'm not sure the current Rockin Roosevelt budget, but I don't think they can afford to pay a single band $20,000. Rockin Roosevelt is one of 6 mini festivals (this doesn't include the Fall concert, Winter rave, or Sungod). Daphne Loves Derby played one of these mini festivals in 2010 and they were paid $3000+ per diem room and transpo. I know RX is bigger than Daphne, and Roockin Roosevelt is bigger than the festival Daphne played, but that figure should give you an idea of what the festival budgets are. Also, RX will be one of probably 3-4 bands playing this event, and RX has a special relationship with UCSD so I wouldn't be surprised if they cut their asking price. In my four years there RX played on campus close to 6 times. $10,000 seems more accurate to me, especially if they have to pay Set Your Goals too, who are also playing. Also the Rockin Roosevelt budget has been cut significantly from what it used to be. For reference, past headliners of Rockin Roosevelt have been: The Format, The Federation, and Rooney
12:35 PM on 02/29/12
plns
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
UCSD Alum here. I'm not sure the current Rockin Roosevelt budget, but I don't think they can afford to pay a single band $20,000. Rockin Roosevelt is one of 6 mini festivals (this doesn't include the Fall concert, Winter rave, or Sungod). Daphne Loves Derby played one of these mini festivals in 2010 and they were paid $3000+ per diem room and transpo. I know RX is bigger than Daphne, and Roockin Roosevelt is bigger than the festival Daphne played, but that figure should give you an idea of what the festival budgets are. Also, RX will be one of probably 3-4 bands playing this event, and RX has a special relationship with UCSD so I wouldn't be surprised if they cut their asking price. In my four years there RX played on campus close to 6 times. $10,000 seems more accurate to me, especially if they have to pay Set Your Goals too, who are also playing. Also the Rockin Roosevelt budget has been cut significantly from what it used to be. For reference, past headliners of Rockin Roosevelt have been: The Format, The Federation, and Rooney
I think I might be mixing up USD and UCSD. Is UCSD the place with Porter's Pub?
06:41 PM on 02/29/12
blackarkdub
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The show is on Friday, not Saturday. Definitely going even though I have a midterm Saturday morning. Also it's free for UCSD students and $5 for guests I think.
so it is open to the public? nice. might try to go.
12:24 AM on 03/01/12
Imperfektion
All I need are sounds of ecstasy.
User Info.
Yes.
so it is open to the public? nice. might try to go.
I guess. Apparently guest passes are sold before the event, not sure where though.
06:47 PM on 03/01/12
spenser
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Yeah, Porter's is at UCSD, and they have some great shows there.

I guess. Apparently guest passes are sold before the event, not sure where though.

UCSD box office in Price Center on the UCSD campus
04:49 PM on 03/02/12
msouth919
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I need someone from UCSD to get me a guest pass for this!!! Can anyone help me?!
05:46 AM on 03/24/12
eightsailor
i want to be a pirate.
User Info.
This band is so fun.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT