Username
Password

06:51 PM on 02/29/12 
User Info.
Joey-Wan Kenobi
fourth and goal
Milwaukee, WI
Male - 29 Years Old
A little bit back I saw that Drive Thru was "helping release" a band's ep or something, and read pretty deep into the thread( or multiple threads) about band stuck in contracts. On top of that thought, Drive Thru is still technically " a label " and all. People are across the board in being supports/haters of this label.

I just started listening to the "thinking of you" mixtape Dave Melillo put out for free, and had one big thought cross my mind..

Is Dave still stuck in a contract, which led him to releasing music for free, or what is the deal?

...which led me to wondering further, how many bands are still stuck in contracts (even if they are broken up) ?

anybody have a "Currently signed" band roster, or any insight?
07:00 PM on 02/29/12 
User Info.
Amongster
Again And Again
Illinois, USA
Female - 24 Years Old
Here you go, sir.
07:01 PM on 02/29/12 
User Info.
Hector146
No Avatar Selected
Female - 27 Years Old
this is my first heard.
07:38 PM on 02/29/12 
User Info.
georgedcc
Wales
Male - 23 Years Old
This is my first heard too!
09:39 PM on 02/29/12 
User Info.
StephenYoung
dumb
Châteauguay, Quebec
Male - 22 Years Old
Are we talking about just Drive-Thru fucking bands over? Because I know BMTH is (or was until recently) stuck with a label in the UK (Visible Noise?). They signed their creative rights away, and made next to nothing from Suicide Season.
10:45 PM on 02/29/12 
User Info.
Joey-Wan Kenobi
fourth and goal
Milwaukee, WI
Male - 29 Years Old
Are we talking about just Drive-Thru fucking bands over? Because I know BMTH is (or was until recently) stuck with a label in the UK (Visible Noise?). They signed their creative rights away, and made next to nothing from Suicide Season.
Yeah, I'm thinking just drive thru. A ton of bands have signed their lives over because they "just want to make it". I'm more thinking how Drive-Thru basically flopped, yet didn't. A bunch of bands had to buy out contracts, which is some bull. If a major flops, I'm assuming the band is free...yet Drive-Thru didn't call it quits..so I'm reading that those old contracts would still be legally binding, if I'm not misinterpreting.?
06:53 AM on 03/01/12 
User Info.
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
Raynham, MA
Male - 25 Years Old
Staff Member
Hellogoodbye and I Am the Avalanche were stuck in that sort of mess for a long time.
07:02 AM on 03/01/12 
User Info.
thirtyfourdays
Brandon
Millburn, NJ
Male - 28 Years Old
Yeah, I'm thinking just drive thru. A ton of bands have signed their lives over because they "just want to make it". I'm more thinking how Drive-Thru basically flopped, yet didn't. A bunch of bands had to buy out contracts, which is some bull. If a major flops, I'm assuming the band is free...yet Drive-Thru didn't call it quits..so I'm reading that those old contracts would still be legally binding, if I'm not misinterpreting.?

It's all extremely confusing, and legal ridiculousness. I know Hellogoodbye had a huge issue getting a record out and it took forever.

Dave Melillo was in another contract I think with Cute Is What We Aim For. Ace Enders wound up putting out a free album before he released anything else.

From what I understand, Drive-Thru just took advantage of young kids or what this world considers adults (18-20 years old). They signed artists into long contracts that required a large number of albums. The bands were so excited to get signed and when Drive-Thru tanked they were screwed. That's life though. It's so hard for bands to get any traction these days. I don't know how they do it.
10:17 PM on 03/01/12 
User Info.
HCO SF 87
No Avatar Selected
California
Male - 27 Years Old
It's all extremely confusing, and legal ridiculousness. I know Hellogoodbye had a huge issue getting a record out and it took forever.

Dave Melillo was in another contract I think with Cute Is What We Aim For. Ace Enders wound up putting out a free album before he released anything else.

From what I understand, Drive-Thru just took advantage of young kids or what this world considers adults (18-20 years old). They signed artists into long contracts that required a large number of albums. The bands were so excited to get signed and when Drive-Thru tanked they were screwed. That's life though. It's so hard for bands to get any traction these days. I don't know how they do it.

do people know why exactly drive-thru tanked though? i haven't researched it much. they had many great bands that began getting huge exposure, it seems like the label would have flourished, if anything.
07:42 AM on 03/02/12 
User Info.
Nolessthanblink
Are you watching closely?
Killeen, TX
Male - 27 Years Old
I don't know, but I just threw away my last DTR shirt (the arrow design) like 2 weeks ago. Haha
02:01 PM on 03/02/12 
User Info.
jacobcm
Cleveland, Ohio
Male
do people know why exactly drive-thru tanked though? i haven't researched it much. they had many great bands that began getting huge exposure, it seems like the label would have flourished, if anything.
^^
02:27 PM on 03/02/12 
User Info.
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
Philadelphia, PA
Male
think it's funny that the last album they released was "The End of an Error." so fitting
02:27 PM on 03/02/12 
User Info.
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
New, Mexico
Male - 26 Years Old

rich and stef starting up Rushmore Records (which eventually failed) probably had something to do with DTR's decimation.
10:15 PM on 03/02/12 
User Info.
phil19
an Aussie in London
London, England
Male - 29 Years Old
drive thru days were the best

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music