Password

11:02 PM on 03/02/12 
User Info.
DickfaceChillah
I'm just beautiful me...
Upstate New York
Male - 25 Years Old
Young Adult - 8.5/10

Jason Reitman's newest comedy is his darkest yet, and although it isn't his best, it's surely going to go down as his most underrated. Charlize Theron's role as an alcoholic ghost writer of young adult fiction who goes back to her hometown to win the heart of her ex who is now happily married and the father of a newborn baby is absolutely wonderful. In some ways, her character in this film is even more ugly than the one she plays in Monster. Her heart is not black, but it is blind, and that is sad because she is so observant of the teen culture around her yet she is completely oblivious to what it means to be an adult, hence the title. The climax is hard to watch, not because of the big 'reveal' that happens but because she learns absolutely nothing. It's true, Reitman actually made a film where the main character reverts right back to her old ways, but she goes in with a new sense of purpose. She is convinced she is right after a brief flirt with epiphany. It's not only not a happy ending, but it is the ANTI-happy ending. The supporting cast is quite good as well including a nice little performance from Patton Oswalt as a crippled classmate from high school that has the best taste in music ever and the worst hobbies.
11:18 PM on 03/02/12 
User Info.
Mr. November
I won't fuck us over.
Windsor, OH
Male
Mad Detective - 8/10 Brilliant Chinese cop movie about an ex detective who is schizophrenic and his investigation into the murder of a cop.
Outrage - 7/10 Pretty entertaining movie about the Japanese mob, some great gore/action scenes in there.
The Bleeding House - 7/10 Fucked up movie about a family with a dark secret and the stranger that comes to visit.
11:56 PM on 03/02/12 
User Info.
domotime2
Lee Corvallo's Putting Challenge
New Jersey
Male - 28 Years Old
i was just thinking that we were due for a new thread.

Project X - 5.5/10

I really wanted to prove the naysayers wrong with this one, but so much of the critique of this film was just so spot on that I can't disagree with them. A completely un-realistic, un-funny, mean-spiritred film that just fails on so many moral levels that I can't even begin. I'm ultra liberal with so many things, there's nothing wrong with drinking, drugs, sex..these are all wonderful things to experience in life but the fact that a movie like this fails to represent any real life consequences for abusing such things, especially at the extent that these characters abused them, is just completely irresponsible. Not that a movie like this really has any moral obligation to be responsible, but if you're going to sell this movie as a handycam movie, aka a movie that is supposed to be perceived as real, then you can't sell me such an unrealistic ending to this movie. I was told before the movie that a character was supposed to die...and/or there was going to be some real life twist in the movie, and i was really excited about that. What a kick in the balls that would've been to a movie like this! Everyone's having a great time, when boom REALITY CHECK sets in real hard (like in real life). The moral of the movie is, "it's worth it to have a party like this because it's important to be accepted, especially in high school"...where as the movie could have been "Is it worth it? it's just high school". . It was everything the critics talked about. It makes women out to be complete sex objects, it makes popularity seem to be important, and it's okay to make fun of kids who are different aka the "Fat kid". The 2nd main character was really unlikable, and he was kind of like Jonah hill in superbad, but with no heart. This movie completely lacks heart, and it thinks it has tons of it. Oh! And completey unrealistic use of the "handycam" gimmick. I hate it. So many times I had to ask, "wait..who's recording this part"...I know it's like the chronicle style where you're supposed to believe everyone just has a camera with them at all times....but then you ask "wait...so someone took all of these cell phones and all of these videos, and put it together to make a movie" (of course thats not what happened...but in a "handycam/found footage" movie, you're supposed to believe that that is possible.

the only reason why my score is still as high as it is is because the movie is still a solid "time piece" and a reflection of "parties of this era". Like in 20 years from now, this movie will be a good nutshell of 2012 teen "perfect party" culture.

but no heart
02:10 AM on 03/03/12 
User Info.
ToMyBetterAngel
RIP Northstar
Tempe, AZ
Male - 27 Years Old
Hugo - 8/10

Didn't think this was as good as everyone else thought it was. Still enjoyable though.
03:20 AM on 03/03/12 
User Info.
mrnegativezero
You wanted to set the world on fire
Southern California
Male - 22 Years Old
The Lives of Others - 8.8/10. Took a while to review this one, watched it for my film class on Wednesday. There's definitely something strong about this movie. I couldn't quite shake it off after watching it. Excellent story. Really intriguing. Wiesler's character seems very... haunting in a way. Strange, fascinating. And the woman.. just left me feeling off. I'll probably be watching it again soon and formulate more thoughts on it then.
04:24 AM on 03/03/12 
User Info.
CastlesXClouds
Relax
San Diego,...
Male
True Grit - 8.5/10 - Was pretty hard to understand some of the dialogue but other than I liked it a lot.
movie was boring as shittttt
04:24 AM on 03/03/12 
User Info.
CastlesXClouds
Relax
San Diego,...
Male
i was just thinking that we were due for a new thread.

Project X - 5.5/10

I really wanted to prove the naysayers wrong with this one, but so much of the critique of this film was just so spot on that I can't disagree with them. A completely un-realistic, un-funny, mean-spiritred film that just fails on so many moral levels that I can't even begin. I'm ultra liberal with so many things, there's nothing wrong with drinking, drugs, sex..these are all wonderful things to experience in life but the fact that a movie like this fails to represent any real life consequences for abusing such things, especially at the extent that these characters abused them, is just completely irresponsible. Not that a movie like this really has any moral obligation to be responsible, but if you're going to sell this movie as a handycam movie, aka a movie that is supposed to be perceived as real, then you can't sell me such an unrealistic ending to this movie. I was told before the movie that a character was supposed to die...and/or there was going to be some real life twist in the movie, and i was really excited about that. What a kick in the balls that would've been to a movie like this! Everyone's having a great time, when boom REALITY CHECK sets in real hard (like in real life). The moral of the movie is, "it's worth it to have a party like this because it's important to be accepted, especially in high school"...where as the movie could have been "Is it worth it? it's just high school". . It was everything the critics talked about. It makes women out to be complete sex objects, it makes popularity seem to be important, and it's okay to make fun of kids who are different aka the "Fat kid". The 2nd main character was really unlikable, and he was kind of like Jonah hill in superbad, but with no heart. This movie completely lacks heart, and it thinks it has tons of it. Oh! And completey unrealistic use of the "handycam" gimmick. I hate it. So many times I had to ask, "wait..who's recording this part"...I know it's like the chronicle style where you're supposed to believe everyone just has a camera with them at all times....but then you ask "wait...so someone took all of these cell phones and all of these videos, and put it together to make a movie" (of course thats not what happened...but in a "handycam/found footage" movie, you're supposed to believe that that is possible.

the only reason why my score is still as high as it is is because the movie is still a solid "time piece" and a reflection of "parties of this era". Like in 20 years from now, this movie will be a good nutshell of 2012 teen "perfect party" culture.

but no heart
okay dad.
07:41 AM on 03/03/12 
User Info.
secretsociety92
secretsociety92 for last.fm & Xbox
England!!
Male - 22 Years Old
End of Days - 7/10
08:27 AM on 03/03/12 
User Info.
M.Lee
man I'm pretty
Male - 23 Years Old
Wanderlust - 6/10

Relied too much on Paul Rudd to carry the movie. It had some laughs sure, but there were so many other things about it that were lacking, especially the third act . I did really enjoy Alan Alda though.
10:57 AM on 03/03/12 
User Info.
Nick Hull
I want you to know
Massachusetts
Male - 21 Years Old
Hugo (5/5)

Unlike anything I've ever seen before, and in the best way possible.
A truly remarkable film, in every sense of the word.
12:48 PM on 03/03/12 
User Info.
secretsociety92
secretsociety92 for last.fm & Xbox
England!!
Male - 22 Years Old
We Need To Talk About Kevin - 9.5/10

This so should of been up for Best Picture at the Oscars.
02:59 PM on 03/03/12 
User Info.
Loveisa4lttrwrd
stuff
Chicago, IL
Male - 27 Years Old
The Sitter (6/10)

It was okay but mostly lame, had some serious pacing problems and really contrived "you can do it kid" inspirational speeches from Jonah Hill.

Oh, man. Long time no see. We only gonna bump into each other in the beginning of these threads?
05:53 PM on 03/03/12 
User Info.
Full Effect Ed
Nonstop Disco Powerpack
Perry Hall, MD
Male - 30 Years Old
Wanderlust - 6/10

Relied too much on Paul Rudd to carry the movie. It had some laughs sure, but there were so many other things about it that were lacking, especially the third act . I did really enjoy Alan Alda though.

No way Wain only had Rudd to rely on, not with the cast this film had. Alda was great though, I miss seeing that bastard on the big screen!
06:11 PM on 03/03/12 
User Info.
M.Lee
man I'm pretty
Male - 23 Years Old
No way Wain only had Rudd to rely on, not with the cast this film had. Alda was great though, I miss seeing that bastard on the big screen!

It wasn't the actors' fault, or Wain as a director. The failure really for me came with the writing. Rudd's character was the only interesting one/one that had depth. I didn't care about any of the supporting characters really except for Alda's.
06:31 PM on 03/03/12 
User Info.
Full Effect Ed
Nonstop Disco Powerpack
Perry Hall, MD
Male - 30 Years Old
It wasn't the actors' fault, or Wain as a director. The failure really for me came with the writing. Rudd's character was the only interesting one/one that had depth. I didn't care about any of the supporting characters really except for Alda's.

Not really looking for depth in a David Wain film haha. And it would be their faults since Rudd, Wain, and Marino all wrote it. Regardless, I'm glad you somewhat enjoyed it man.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos