Password
fun. News - Page 5
Displaying posts 60 - 75 of 97.
06:08 PM on 03/05/12
SwedishHeat
back in the van
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Sucks that it was Glee that did this and not Aim and Ignite.
I know this is just me being an elitist hipster douchebag who's been into The Format since before they were cool, but it's really lame that Glee is what made these guys popular.
06:13 PM on 03/05/12
luqmanhakim
Registered Member
User Info.
Fuck Ryan Murphy and his massive ego.
Wrong.

Fuck Glee.
06:14 PM on 03/05/12
trappedintime
Yea, you were right about me
User Info.
LOL @ Ryan Murphy and Glee for taking credit of fun.'s new found fame. gtfo
06:14 PM on 03/05/12
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
There's no way in hell that the Super Bowl commercial got this band more exposure than Glee did. The Glee cover of "We Are Young" is the 6th-highest charting song (peaked at 12) the show's ever produced - behind songs like "Don't Stop Believing" and "Firework".

As for whether or not Glee as an A&R source is a good or bad thing, I think we need to be careful before we judge. If they're gonna go after bands like Fun (more specifically, bands that don't quite fit the mold of today's pop music and stand to change the genre for the better) then I say more power to 'em. I don't mind that LET'S SET THIS WORLD ON FIREEEEE <3 is the default setting for my news feed every weekend if it means that Rihanna's lyrics are taking a backseat.
Pretty sure having your song being played during a commercial on one the most highly watched events on television is going to get you more exposure then a rinky dink show that only a portion of the TV audience even watches. Hell, the song didn't even get any serious traction till the day after the Super Bowl.
07:12 PM on 03/05/12
ChrisCanberg
User Info.
There is a really weird, unnecessary debate going on in this thread about which one broke the song Glee or the Super Bowl.

The article pretty clearly states: "But while the release of the "Glee" version did cause a 1,650% jump in sales of fun.'s "We Are Young" (from 3,000 to 49,000, according to Columbia, during the week of Dec. 11, 2011), it wasn't until the song appeared in the Super Bowl spot that fun.'s "We Are Young" took off. In the weeks since, the song has notched sales weeks of 291,000, 244,000 and 296,000, working backward to the week of the Super Bowl. Its total sales now stand at 1.2 million."
i wish more people read this.

Also, I'm not the biggest fan of Glee either, and to be honest, I don't really care who broke the song or the band. "Some Nights" is my AOTY so far so whoever did it, thank you.
07:15 PM on 03/05/12
plyb
true progress
User Info.
Is this thread about fun.'s success or bashing Glee?
07:45 PM on 03/05/12
RayJoonya
DreamofSleeping.com
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
There is a really weird, unnecessary debate going on in this thread about which one broke the song Glee or the Super Bowl.

The article pretty clearly states: "But while the release of the "Glee" version did cause a 1,650% jump in sales of fun.'s "We Are Young" (from 3,000 to 49,000, according to Columbia, during the week of Dec. 11, 2011), it wasn't until the song appeared in the Super Bowl spot that fun.'s "We Are Young" took off. In the weeks since, the song has notched sales weeks of 291,000, 244,000 and 296,000, working backward to the week of the Super Bowl. Its total sales now stand at 1.2 million."

This deserves to be re-posted.
08:06 PM on 03/05/12
CavanaughPark
Hey, I'm doing alright.
User Info.
But if it was on television at that point, it means that it wasn't on the radio when he initially decided to include the song on the show.

It wasn't on television though...
Oh wait I see what you mean. When Glee decided to do it it hadn't been on the radio because Glee is recorded earlier than it's aired. I see.

But the song came out in September and Glee didn't air until December and it had already gained some popularity.
08:08 PM on 03/05/12
CavanaughPark
Hey, I'm doing alright.
User Info.
A Few Things:
Aim and Ignite > Some Nights > Pretty much all other Top 40 artist's albums
Most all TV Shows > Glee > MTV's "Shows"
In terms of ego: Tony Brummel > Ryan Murphy (given and this was just fun to say)
We Are Young got big more because of the Super Bowl because: viewers of the Super Bowl > Glee

Agree with all of this. Especially the fact that some people are saying Some Nights is better than Aim. I don't see it at all. Some Nights doesn't even come close in my book.
08:38 PM on 03/05/12
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
Pretty sure having your song being played during a commercial on one the most highly watched events on television is going to get you more exposure then a rinky dink show that only a portion of the TV audience even watches. Hell, the song didn't even get any serious traction till the day after the Super Bowl.

WOAH gotta disagree. The superbowl reaches a hell of a lot more people than Glee. (At least the initial air date.) In the interview, they even gave the estimated exposure that each gave to fun., and Glee was way less than the superbowl.
But think about the number of people who watch that show and listened to the entire song from beginning to end, being played during what this musical director called "a pinnacle moment" (7.11 million on the original air date of this episode)... and compare it to the number of people who watched a 50-second clip of it during the Chevy commercial during the Super Bowl (111.3M) and then actively decided to go find out what the song was. The Chevy Sonic commercial wasn't #12 on Billboard and #1 on iTunes all the way back in December, was it? According to Billboard's site, the original version of the song hasn't even broken the Top 50 on the Hot 100 - nowhere near the performance Glee's cover had in the market.

I have no doubts that the Super Bowl was HUGE for both fun. and the song - everyone has noted multiple times that the single's sales skyrocketed after the commercial came out. I just highly doubt that the commercial would have A) had the impact it did on the single, or B) even been made with a song by a nobody-band like fun. before Glee went and broke it out.

A few people in this thread have mentioned something along the lines of "lol at this fool trying to take credit for fun.," but I don't see why. Aim & Ignite was an EXTREMELY radio-friendly album (definitely more radio-friendly than this record's title track will ultimately be, IMO, of only for its complex production) and it didn't get nearly the traction Some Nights has. That didn't happen because FBR is a marketing genius, it happened because of a cocktail of Glee buzz and Super Bowl buzz.
09:19 PM on 03/05/12
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
But think about the number of people who watch that show and listened to the entire song from beginning to end, being played during what this musical director called "a pinnacle moment" (7.11 million on the original air date of this episode)... and compare it to the number of people who watched a 50-second clip of it during the Chevy commercial during the Super Bowl (111.3M) and then actively decided to go find out what the song was. The Chevy Sonic commercial wasn't #12 on Billboard and #1 on iTunes all the way back in December, was it? According to Billboard's site, the original version of the song hasn't even broken the Top 50 on the Hot 100 - nowhere near the performance Glee's cover had in the market.

I have no doubts that the Super Bowl was HUGE for both fun. and the song - everyone has noted multiple times that the single's sales skyrocketed after the commercial came out. I just highly doubt that the commercial would have A) had the impact it did on the single, or B) even been made with a song by a nobody-band like fun. before Glee went and broke it out.

A few people in this thread have mentioned something along the lines of "lol at this fool trying to take credit for fun.," but I don't see why. Aim & Ignite was an EXTREMELY radio-friendly album (definitely more radio-friendly than this record's title track will ultimately be, IMO, of only for its complex production) and it didn't get nearly the traction Some Nights has. That didn't happen because FBR is a marketing genius, it happened because of a cocktail of Glee buzz and Super Bowl buzz.
Okay, we get it dude: You have a hard on for Glee. Good for you.
09:38 PM on 03/05/12
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
Okay, we get it dude: You have a hard on for Glee. Good for you.
Maybe gonna throw up.
09:59 PM on 03/05/12
Who Is Ryan?
???
User Info.
lol at people being so butt hurt about this interview. From what I take of it, they're not claiming that they're the sole reason for fun.'s success but are saying that they did help contribute to it

Let's be real, a large portion of AP doesn't want to admit that Glee did definitely have a helping hand in bringing Fun. to the mainstream masses. The faster you come to terms with it, the better
10:15 PM on 03/05/12
cirerelleum
Registered Member
User Info.
What no one's asked: would Chevy have learned about fun.'s song without Glee? Perhaps not.
10:25 PM on 03/05/12
caraeryn
Hey, got any grapes?
User Info.
Hearing that Glee was going to cover fun. just made me think "shit, they're going to ruin another good song".
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests