Username
Password
fun. News - Page 7
Displaying posts 90 - 97 of 97.
12:13 PM on 03/06/12
stuckonsmile
Singer; songwriter youtube/mrowks
User Info.
But think about the number of people who watch that show and listened to the entire song from beginning to end, being played during what this musical director called "a pinnacle moment" (7.11 million on the original air date of this episode)... and compare it to the number of people who watched a 50-second clip of it during the Chevy commercial during the Super Bowl (111.3M) and then actively decided to go find out what the song was. The Chevy Sonic commercial wasn't #12 on Billboard and #1 on iTunes all the way back in December, was it? According to Billboard's site, the original version of the song hasn't even broken the Top 50 on the Hot 100 - nowhere near the performance Glee's cover had in the market.

I have no doubts that the Super Bowl was HUGE for both fun. and the song - everyone has noted multiple times that the single's sales skyrocketed after the commercial came out. I just highly doubt that the commercial would have A) had the impact it did on the single, or B) even been made with a song by a nobody-band like fun. before Glee went and broke it out.

A few people in this thread have mentioned something along the lines of "lol at this fool trying to take credit for fun.," but I don't see why. Aim & Ignite was an EXTREMELY radio-friendly album (definitely more radio-friendly than this record's title track will ultimately be, IMO, of only for its complex production) and it didn't get nearly the traction Some Nights has. That didn't happen because FBR is a marketing genius, it happened because of a cocktail of Glee buzz and Super Bowl buzz.
Okay I see the point you're trying to make, but your logic is flawed. Fun. is hardly a "nothing" band. They had fans before they even had music to back them, their music is owned by warner music group, and they're on one of the largest "independent" labels of our generation. The fact that this album has gained them increased success is no accident.

The reason (though I could be mistaken, and tell me if I am) that Aim and Ignite didn't have the same success, is that it was initially independently released--and they didn't have a major label backing them. With Warner banking on/backing their success, they were able to promote themselves on a much grander scale.

You mention the fact that "the superbowl commercial wasn't #12 on itunes." This doesn't even make sense. The point is moot. Obviously that can't happen, but what can happen is the actual song making it to the number one spot after the superbowl commercial aired. Not only can this happen, but it did--and so it can be declared that the commercial had a greater impact on the sales of the song.

One last point you mention, is that you doubt that the commercial would have been made without the song being on glee, but there's no way to know that for sure. And also, commercials like this are not made at the last minute. This probably was made (or at least in the planning stages of being made) before fun. gained any major success as a result of their song being on glee.

I do agree that both glee and the commercial were factors on the song's success.
01:20 PM on 03/06/12
Formatfun
Format, The, Format, The
User Info.
Glee doesn't do shit.

fun. didn't need that show to get big, and they know that's true.

Man, I've always hated Glee. I just needed another reason to take shots at them. Hah.
02:13 PM on 03/06/12
Who Is Ryan?
???
User Info.
Glee doesn't do shit.

fun. didn't need that show to get big, and they know that's true.

lol

gurl let's be real right now...

06:43 PM on 03/06/12
Formatfun
Format, The, Format, The
User Info.
lol

gurl let's be real right now...

What's not real?

Their songs are fucking good, and when you've got good music, you get big eventually.

The commercial they're in did more for them than Glee by the way.
09:34 PM on 03/06/12
NotEmo.JustMe
Compulsive Night Owl
User Info.
I'm sure the guys from Fun. aren't complaining about the money they've made from people finding out about them from 'Glee'. Just sayin'...

I loved that the 'We Are Young' was on Glee and they actually did a pretty decent rendition of it compared to some other 'rock' bands they've covered on the show. When they did 'the Only Exception' by Paramore I wanted to throw my TV out the window. Also, I just want to point out that 'Glee' has come up with some FANTASTIC mashups; case in point: Umbrella/Singin' in the Rain and Rumor Has It/Rollin in the Deep.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests