Password
This Thread is Closed.

09:07 AM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
Jacksonville, FL
Male - 27 Years Old
Not tying to be insensitive, but I'm getting sick of hearing about how bad concussions are and ESPN trying to make me feel bad for players who get them. Every day they do a new special about how football players get concussions and how it's a dangerous sport. Well, no shit. People who play football know the dangers of the sport and no one forces them to play it. Yeah, it sucks that it's happening at a higher rate (or at least being reported at a higher rate) than before, but if players learn the proper way to tackle rather then going for the kill shot, the numbers wouldn't be as bad.

The league tries to implement rules to decrease player concussions/head injuries and the players bitch and moan. But then the same players turn around and bitch to the league about how players have long term effects due to head injuries and want the legue to help them.

Well said Tyler.
09:07 AM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
xbrokendownx
Lets Go.
Southampton, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
Platinum Member
hopefully he holds out again
10:47 AM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
mht
Cam Wake #16

i told you he was that good lol

i also had no idea Geno Atkins was top 20 player production either. Learn something new everyday
11:02 AM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 26 Years Old
The Bengals probably have one of the deepest D-lines in the game, especially at DT... They had Atkins, Peko, and Sims already at DT and added Still and Thompson in the draft.
11:05 AM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
preppyak
I hate Vincent Jackson
Falls Church, VA
Male - 29 Years Old
The league tries to implement rules to decrease player concussions/head injuries and the players bitch and moan. But then the same players turn around and bitch to the league about how players have long term effects due to head injuries and want the legue to help them.
Well, there is a completely legitimate point being made by the players from 20+ years ago. They didnt get paid a ton of money (the biggest contracts are equivalent to vet min's now-a-days), and they didn't have a good long-term pension plan. They weren't really given insurance either. Now, most of them may not have crippling diseases, but, they do need physicals regularly, some pain medications for arthritis, etc. But you can't get insured as an NFL player, because you played a dangerous sport, and its a pre-existing condition. Try paying for doctors, surgery (Schlereth has had 29 I believe?), and medication out of pocket. Also, what the NFL knew and what players were told 5, 10, 15 years ago is very different than today...the NFL actively tried to subvert brain research for a long time, publishing their own studies countering it. Think of them as an oil company countering global warming.

Its why you see so many players trying to get into broadcasting...I bet ESPN has awesome insurance. But the NFL is a multi-billion dollar company that already has insurance for its current players, and they were doing nothing to help former players. They added a few things in the last CBA, so, that's a start. But, players have shown they can't support themselves down the road (50+% go bankrupt), so sports leagues probably should put more elements into their contracts that keep them afloat after they are done playing.

Much like they are trying to protect players from themselves on the field; they should do the same off the field, deferring money to pensions and health plans down the line
04:56 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
preppyak
I hate Vincent Jackson
Falls Church, VA
Male - 29 Years Old
ugh, i have to agree with a Rick Reilly column, been a long time since I had to do that. Though his puns are as bad as ever

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7...ell-power-trip
05:20 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
Max Stern
@HeyMaxSup
Denver, CO
Male - 23 Years Old
Deangelo Williams is only 4 carries away from joining Jim Brown as the only RBs ever to have at least 1,000 carries and average over 5 ypc. Impressive.
considering he's been hurt/average the last 2 years that is impressive
05:41 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
Max Stern
@HeyMaxSup
Denver, CO
Male - 23 Years Old
According to this, Darrelle Revis was the fifth best player in the NFL last season.
it'll be interesting to see the vast differences between PFF's list and "The NFL Top 100"
05:43 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
Tyler Vagyler
No Avatar Selected
Greensboro, NC
Male - 25 Years Old
considering he's been hurt/average the last 2 years that is impressive

And Jonathan Stewart isn't too far off pace. He has 725 carries and 4.8 ypc.

Also, it may seem like both backs have just been average the past couple seasons, but both actually averaged 5.4 ypc (tied for 4th highest in the league) last season. The number 1 player in that category, Cam Newton with 5.6 ypc.
05:51 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
Max Stern
@HeyMaxSup
Denver, CO
Male - 23 Years Old
Denver is really going to miss him, not sure what John Elway was doing this offseason besides bringing in Peyton
Quote:
69. Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Denver Broncos
There wasn’t a player in the league like Bunkley last year. He may as well have had his position renamed ‘destroyer’ because it seemed he was sent out on the field simply to dismantle the center across from him; so good was he the Patriots essentially schemed to get him off the field. The reason Bunkley is relatively low down on this list is because he was purely an early down player that only got on the field for 485 snaps in the regular season. That, however, didn’t stop him from picking up a +28.4 run defense grade. Top of the tree among defensive tackles.
Best Performance: Week 11 versus New York Jets (+6.5)
Key Stat: 11.3% of all run plays he was on the field for ended up with him making a defensive stop. Highest of all defensive tackles.
05:57 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
Tyler Vagyler
No Avatar Selected
Greensboro, NC
Male - 25 Years Old
According to this, Darrelle Revis was the fifth best player in the NFL last season.

They have Cam Newton at #95 for last season. I don't understand that at all.
06:10 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
loveisdead
LGJ
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old

To Max's point, that has him as the equivalent of Tim Tebow on the players 100 list.
06:26 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
preppyak
I hate Vincent Jackson
Falls Church, VA
Male - 29 Years Old
Makes sense when you consider the rules of it
Quote:
• It was based on an ethos of all positions created equal. This isn’t about the most valuable players; otherwise there would be a lot more quarterbacks. This is about looking at what is expected from a position and who most exceeded that.
You expect the the most from the QB position, so, by the vary nature of this list, QB's are at a disadvantage.

So, while Newton was clearly above and beyond as a rusher, his passing wasn't exactly stellar. 60% completions, 17 INT, 5 fumbles...he was nowhere near the level Rodgers, Brees, etc. Brees still had 30% more yards, Rodgers still had 30% more TD's (that combines both rushing and passing for both), and Cam was less than average (18th) in accuracy. Was Cam the only the 95th best player in the league...no, definitely higher. But, their metric basically measures who out-performed the most last year. And in a year where QB's crushed passing records, his rushing wasn't enough to make up for it.

Now, get him to the 2nd tier of QB's in passing (63-64%, 43-4500yds, 25TD, 10-12INT), and the same rushing numbers, and you're looking at an MVP level year, and he's probably top 10 on that list.
06:34 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
preppyak
I hate Vincent Jackson
Falls Church, VA
Male - 29 Years Old
For example, a punter who kicked the ball 55yds on average, had it land inside the 10 70% of the time, and gave up no return yards....he'd probably be #1 on that list, because his value would be so much higher than what you expect from a punter. Likewise a kicker who has a 35/35 type year.
07:34 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
<*)))><
Put a T-Shirt On
Oswego,NY
Male - 23 Years Old
I didn't see any kickers on that list

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music