Uncalled Four
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Kony's a homie
04:08 PM on 03/08/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
In my opinion what's worse then jumping onto a bandwagon for a blind (but by everyone's admission a good-natured/intentioned) cause , is the cynics who shoved their 'research' in people's faces when they actually read a blog written by a 20 year old political science student (and if anyone's taken a poli sci class - you know that until you have a masters or a doctorate, a poli sci undergrad major is in no real position to know anything more than anyone else other than they have a relative interest in the subject), rather than doing true research or trying to make sense of the numbers for themselves.

Jumping onto a bandwagon of cynics is ten times easier than jumping onto a bandwagon for something truly positive.

That's all I feel about the KONY thing. Invisible Children has been around for years and in my eyes is full of good people that do good things - whether I've talked with the members at my college, or seeing their representatives at a show, or seen the videos online, or in 2009 when the LRA law they helped advocate passed.

If you aren't into what they do or think there are better avenues - that's totally cool. But man I was disappointed when a lot of people I knew think they knew better than anyone else because they read some random kid's blog on the Internet.

Once again. We're on the same page. There was definitely ignorance on both sides yesterday.
07:51 PM on 03/08/12
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
Then I assume you would have pointed one out instead of being a douchebag. Nice try though.

This article basically sums up my points. Read it, its really short.

http://www.dreamactivist.org/a-quick...konymania-etc/

How about the assumption that people that posted the video didn't give a shit about social issues prior to this? Seriously? Nobody cared? You sure about that?

And even if that was the case, why can't try sympathize and feel for a cause where children are taken away and become child rebel soldiers?

Is it wrong this has been brought to light? Is it bad more people are looking deeper into it?

Seriously, people that pull the white guilt card, as opposed to maybe figuring that they're interested in a cause beyond themselves. It does happen.
12:49 AM on 03/09/12
fna4
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Being an AP staff member does not make you anymore of an expert then the rest of us regarding international politics. Dismissing all criticism of Invisible Children as invalid isn't exactly an intelligent argument. It's some what insulting to those of us that have an actual interest in cases of injustice around the world to see a "trendy" topic dominate the discussion without any action coming out of it. Aside from a few people who'll give money that may or may not end up going to those who need it the most, many of these "activists" is going to do is like or repost a link on Facebook. Making serious issues like this into a trendy fad among otherwise apathetic kids isn't really an effective solution to addressing problems such as this. How many of these kids are posting about Syria, or even the countless other atrocities that have occurred across Sub Saharan Africa in the past few years?
12:58 AM on 03/09/12
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
How about the assumption that people that posted the video didn't give a shit about social issues prior to this? Seriously? Nobody cared? You sure about that?

And even if that was the case, why can't try sympathize and feel for a cause where children are taken away and become child rebel soldiers?

Is it wrong this has been brought to light? Is it bad more people are looking deeper into it?

Seriously, people that pull the white guilt card, as opposed to maybe figuring that they're interested in a cause beyond themselves. It does happen.

Hey! I love fucking retarded grammar too!

You're assuming that I'm unsympathetic to children being kidnapped and forced to become soldiers. I never said anything like that, but I'd love for you to point out where I did if I'm wrong about that. Also, I'm sure some people that posted the video cared about social issues- I was more talking about people that jumped on the bandwagon. I assumed that I made that pretty clear.

Invisible Children supports direct and drastic military intervention against Kony while simultaneously advocating on behalf of the children that have been conscripted into his army. Are you assuming that the Ugandan army is going to run into the adults only portion of Kony's rebel forces? IC is paying for bullets to be shot at the kids they're claiming to protect. And forgive me for expecting Invisible Children to do something besides "create awareness." Great for them, I'm glad that they're taking a stand. I just feel that after 8 years and 11 movies (as well as thousands spent sponsoring tours- ya know, to stay trendy) that they should actually DO something. It doesn't strike any kind of chord with you that every single time they come out with a campaign its to "raise awareness?" Are you not getting that their primary goal is to make money off of people like you that buy into it?

Lastly, I think that this kind of once a year "activism" further promotes a harmful attitude among 1st world folks which is "poor people in 3rd world countries aren't capable of solving their own problems so we have to do it for them" which is condescending at best and imperialist at worst. This ad campaign provides people with the ability to post a status about it and feel like they're somehow involved, or buy "a super cool Kony 2012 bracelet from IC! Make Kony Famous!!!1!!11!"... Please don't pretend that either of those do a shred of good.

Refute each point I made or admit that you're wrong and leave me alone. I'm sick of internet arguments that go nowhere.
12:59 AM on 03/09/12
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
Being an AP staff member does not make you anymore of an expert then the rest of us regarding international politics. Dismissing all criticism of Invisible Children as invalid isn't exactly an intelligent argument. It's some what insulting to those of us that have an actual interest in cases of injustice around the world to see a "trendy" topic dominate the discussion without any action coming out of it. Aside from a few people who'll give money that may or may not end up going to those who need it the most, many of these "activists" is going to do is like or repost a link on Facebook. Making serious issues like this into a trendy fad among otherwise apathetic kids isn't really an effective solution to addressing problems such as this. How many of these kids are posting about Syria, or even the countless other atrocities that have occurred across Sub Saharan Africa in the past few years?
THANK YOU.
03:58 PM on 03/09/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.

Being anyone on the Internet for that matter doesn't make a person an expert. Nor did I claim I was an expert. I'm not dismissing criticism of IC nor am I dismissing that IC has done and continues to do valid work beyond the KONY2012 campaign. The piece at hand is less about the information that was shared, but more about how people SHARED and VALIDATED the information given to them ON BOTH SIDES.

Before you come out guns a'blazzin - you should probably re-read what I had written.

Also, I had a conversation with Keith Buckley yesterday about this, and this point is the nail I wanted to drive home...

"...after now seeing [KONY 2012 pop up] again while reading your editorial I checked NPR, the Drudge Report and USA today apps on my phone for an article on it. I didn't find one. None whatsoever...."

this isn't about whether I feel IC is in the right or wrong or its naysayers are complete assholes - this is about how we currently obtain and verify news from places we should be weary of it getting it from.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos