AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

John Mayer News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

John Mayer Takes Indefinite Break from Performing

Posted by - 08:14 AM on 03/09/12
John Mayer will be taking an indefinite break from live performing as he deals with a returning vocal cord granuloma.
UpdateDuring rehearsal on Tuesday, it came to mind that I should see my throat doctor because something didnít feel/sound right. I went in for a visit on Wednesday and a scope of my vocal cords revealed that the granuloma has grown back where it had mostly healed. This is bad news. Because of this, I have no choice but to take an indefinite break from live performing. Though there will be a day when all of this will be behind me, it will sideline me for a longer period of time than I care to have you count down.

I want to explain this a bit more in depth than I have in the past, because I know thereís some confusion as to what this condition is; a granuloma forms and continues to snowball because itís in a spot where the vocal cords hit together and thereís no way to really give it a chance to heal without a good stretch of time and some pretty intensive treatment. In short, itís one giant pain in the ass.

Okay, so hereís the planÖ Born and Raised will be released as scheduled, but because I donít make a very good anything-other-than-a-musician, Iím going to begin writing the next album very soon. I feel really vibrant as a writer at the moment and thereís no reason not to begin the next album project in the time I would have been touring. Somewhere in all of this is another surgery and a very long chemically-imposed period of silence, so I hope youíll understand that I have to really pick that date carefully.

Iím pretty emotionally burnt out at the moment, but please know how hard I tried to resolve this and how disappointed I am that I canít perform this record yet. Iím completely bummed, especially for all of you who started making plans to see a show. Nothing feels worse than having to break the stage down before the performance, and I mean nothing. I love this band you were going to hear, I love the guys and girls I work with, and the only thing that stops me from devolving into a puddle of tears is knowing that itís a long life, and the greatest gift in the world is being able to create music no matter what the circumstances. So these are the new circumstances, and Iíll find a way to make it mean something. Thatís all you can ever do.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 67
08:15 AM on 03/09/12
kennedyAM
Every Never Is Now
User Info.
Never good to hear of this, but it's good news we still get the album + him writing another one.
08:18 AM on 03/09/12
MikeYabs
We are the only friends we have
User Info.
This is a bummer, but I'll take all the new material I can get, so its cool that he's going to start writing another album.
08:19 AM on 03/09/12
stuckonsmile
Singer; songwriter youtube/mrowks
User Info.
That's unfortunate.
I think it would be really neat if he got other singers to cover his songs, while he accompanied on guitar.
08:23 AM on 03/09/12
deFobbed14yrs
Legal Drug Dealer
User Info.
That sucks!!!
08:25 AM on 03/09/12
honestykills
User Info.
This is a bummer, but I'll take all the new material I can get, so its cool that he's going to start writing another album.
This.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for him. Guy is one of the most solid songwriters still around.
08:28 AM on 03/09/12
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
User Info.
Man... I'm really bummed for him at this point. Hopefully, this will be the last time he has to endure this kind of treatment. Best wishes to him in his recovery.
08:30 AM on 03/09/12
camperfrequency
Troy and Abed in the Morning!
User Info.
Totally submitted this. I'm a submit noob.. but nevertheless I hope John can take everything in stride. He's one of my favorite musicians.
08:31 AM on 03/09/12
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
this is heartbreaking.
08:33 AM on 03/09/12
luqmanhakim
Registered Member
User Info.
Totally blows, what the Hell.
08:36 AM on 03/09/12
t00latef0rr0ses
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
User Info.
damn. there goes my "thank god its friday" feeling.
08:42 AM on 03/09/12
trolland10
Listen to Limbeck
User Info.
damn, that sucks absolutely devastating
08:45 AM on 03/09/12
funnydave
speak but a whisper...
User Info.
Well, shit.
08:46 AM on 03/09/12
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
Poor John. Hope everything gets straightened out.
08:49 AM on 03/09/12
moronindisguise
User Info.
That sucks, but he can still play guitar. Just play with a band.
John Mayers guitar > John Mayers voice

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version