AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Article
« Back to Articles

Absolute Beginnings (Sept. 2007)

Written by: Julia Conny (09/14/07)
Music has a tendency to stop us in our tracks. The first time we were blown away was an exhausting and awe-inspiring moment. These “gateway” albums into our current tastes will always hold special places in our hearts. Here at AbsolutePunk.net, we are honored to share and discuss the albums still getting us up in the morning. We know the feeling of weightlessness after the last note fades away, and we protect these albums like a fragile first-born. So get nostalgic with us and profess your love to the music that started it all. Embrace your roots.
-Blake Solomon

------

Blink 182 - Enema of the State
Record Label: MCA
Release Date: June 1, 1999

Enema of the State changed my life. It sounds foolish to say that about an album with 'enema' in its title, but it's true. There's no way to know exactly how much I played Enema of the State throughout my adolescence, but for months I would listen to the album constantly, including every night with Napster set on repeat. I would fall asleep and wake up to Mark, Tom, and Travis – I'm just glad the result wasn't herpes. As the obsession continued, I searched online for blink-182 fan sites and came upon a fine looking red-themed site named AbsolutePunk.net. Impressed with its quality, I became a regular visitor, but I never imagined I'd be living the dream by actually working here. And so I'd like to extend a thank you to Enema of the State. It's the album that helped through the turbulent times of youth, brought me to my favorite spot on the world wide web, and is invaluable as a passage to the music that's become the soundtrack to my life. (Adrian Villagomez)

What's My Age Again?

---------------------------------------------------

Braid - The Age of Octeen
Record Label: Mud Records
Release Date: January 1, 1996

I was introduced to our "scene" at a relatively early age, having listened to Sum 41, Simple Plan, and New Found Glory in middle school, and for awhile I enjoyed that. However, no one album ever struck me. I just listened to all of these records and I enjoyed them, but as soon as I pulled the headphones from my ears I almost instantly forgot what I had just heard. That all changed one day when I stumbled randomly across an album by a little band called Braid in my freshman year of high school. It was a weird time musically for me as I was transitioning out of pop-punk and exploring different genres when I first heard Braid's The Age Of Octeen, and something about their raw sound, explosive energy, angular edge, and the interaction between Bob Nanna and Chris Broach instantly struck a chord within me. For the first time in my life I found a record that held my attention from start to finish and resonated with me long after I had shut off my CD player. That album opened me up to a world of fantastic underground artists that I currently love and it is what helped shape my passion for music that will always drive me to do what I do now for as long as I can do it. Braid's music got me through so many ups and downs in my life and no amount of words that I could write would ever be able to properly convey how much of an impact this record and band has had on my life, and I owe a great deal of thanks to every member of this band. (Rich Duncan)

My Baby Smokes

Copeland - Beneath Medicine Tree
Record Label: The Militia Group
Release Date: March 25, 2003

I still remember the day I “met” Copeland’s Beneath Medicine Tree as though it were yesterday. As was the case for kids under the age of 21 in the suburban sprawl, there can be long slumps of boredom in a youngster’s life. As such, I would often waste away days and nights at the listening stations of Tower Records. On this particular night, I spied the bold claims of some faceless commentator that called CD #3 “the musical embodiment of all that is beautiful in this world.” Instantly curious, I pressed play and was astounded to find that such lofty praise was not misplaced. Since then, the aforementioned has gone on to serve as the soundtrack to all of the essential times in my life – failed and successful relationships, exciting new turns in the years that followed, and all the gaps in between. Perhaps the most wonderful thing about Copeland’s breakout record is the fact that in being just so damn good it was able to transcend what was previously slammed as “sissy music.” To see punks singing along to Aaron Marsh’s arresting falsetto is a disarming sight, but at the same time seems entirely understandable. To revel in the gorgeous simplicity of tracks like “Brightest,” “California,” and “Coffee” is the type of thing that just makes you feel good to be alive. But to be carried away by “When Paula Sparks” on a good pair of headphones is a religious experience that has yet to lose an ounce of resonance with me to this day. Copeland’s Beneath Medicine Tree is the record that made me love music, and will forever live on as a timeless classic. (Steve Henderson)

When Paula Sparks

Elliott Smith - Either/Or
Record Label: Kill Rock Stars
Release Date:
February 25, 1997

I had been yearning for some new music for quite a while when I came across this "Indie" thread on another forum that I visit. At first, I wasn't sure what to think about the thread in general because I had not heard of most bands these people kept posting about. I remember seeing this one member always posting about Death Cab For Cutie, Elliott Smith and Jimmy Eat World (which I already knew and loved). I decided to give these other two bands a try because she already liked a band that I really enjoyed. I don't even know how it happened anymore, I just remember opening up Kazaa and before I knew it, I had fallen in love with this guy called Elliott Smith. I always joke about it and say "It was love at first listen," because I've never heard a band/musician that really made me fall in love with music the way he did. I somehow put my hands on his album Either/Or and I could not get enough of the music. I felt like I had found the music I was looking for, after so many months. The album, while depressing, kept me company and comforted me when I felt like no one out there could relate to me or my problems. It's impossible not to feel the pain in his voice at the end of "Angeles," and that's the beauty of Elliott's music: you cannot listen and not feel attached to it somehow. To this day, I have not heard an album as many times as Either/Or. It's not only the album that made me appreciate music on such a different level, it's the album for me. I have checked out so many other bands because of this album and my music collection would not quite be the same without it. On top of all, I would have never taken the opportunity to work for this website if it wasn't for this album. I have always felt a little depressed about the fact that I never got to say "thank you" or give Elliott back anything for giving me so much through his music. But now, I can give back to other bands that have become a part of my life through their music. Thank you for keeping me company in these last 5 years, Elliott. (Lueda Alia)

Between The Bars

Fall Out Boy - Take This to Your Grave
Record Label: Fueled by Ramen
Release Date: May 6, 2003

While Fall Out Boy may now appear exceptionally far from an underground craze, alike many of the world's top-forty hits, Chicago's finest were built up from nothing. It all began with 2003's Take This to Your Grave (aside from the less than fashionable Evening Out With Your Girlfriend), an album that not only put the quartet on the map but captures the hearts and minds of teenagers everywhere, myself included. From the opening "Tell That Mick He Just Made My List of Things to Do Today" to the smash-hit "Grand Theft Autumn," every note, hook and angst-ridden lyric not only imprisoned adolescents worldwide, but permeated Livejournals, signatures, and taglines across the map. While Take This to Your Grave may not have been my initial introduction into such sugary territory, Fall Out Boy were certainly a valuable, incomparable stepping stone into the world of alternative music. Whether you emphasize lead vocalist Patrick Stump's soulful delivery, or heartthrob bassist Pete Wentz's awe-inspiring one-liners, Fall Out Boy's Take This to Your Grave was far from a sophomore slump, and for that, alike countless fans worldwide, colour me thankful. To this day, the headphones deliver me the words that I can't say. (Brandon Allin)

Dead on Arrival

The Get Up Kids - Something To Write Home About
Record Label: Vagrant Records
Release Date: September 28, 1999

The first song I heard from The Get Up Kids was "Mass Pike" and at that moment, I have never heard a song that I could relate to what was going on at the time. I listened to "Mass Pike" over and over again until I decided to look them up. The song was from a CD that I could not find so I got Something to Write Home About because it was their most recent release. Once I got home and listened to the CD, my life changed. Never before have I heard songs filled with lyrics that actually had meaning in my life. Before that, I was listening to watered down songs that played on various pop and rock stations in California. I listened to what was given to me. From the opening rifts of "Holiday," I was a lifelong fan. I have seen them countless times and when they announce their farewell tour, I was heart broken. The band that single-handedly shaped who I am today wasn't going to be putting out anymore records or playing anymore shows. So I made a promise to myself that if they ever got back together, I would make it out and watch no matter where it was. Even if it meant driving across to the U.S. to Lawrence, KS. (Jamie Pham)

Holiday

Incubus - Make Yourself
Record Label: Sony
Release Date:
October 26, 1999

While most people chose a band that’s revered by most on this site, I chose one that people like, but don’t consider an all time classic. I was sitting around thinking about what that record was that changed my life, some choices were Green Day’s Dookie, New Found Glory’s self-titled, Saves The Day’s Stay What You Are. But then I realized it branched further than that. I remember the first time I had heard Incubus. My brother and I were playing Monopoly (he was the banker and he would steal money every time I got up to go to the bathroom or get a snack, obviously he would eventually win or it would be too much for my nine-year-old body and I’d flip the board), and whenever we’d sit out in our living room, we would have The Box (the music channel before MTV2) on. On this particular day, they decided to play a brand new video by a band I had never heard before, Incubus. I thought it was a nice jam and I thought the guy with the fake flames all over him was pretty sweet. So I went on Napster that night (as my nine-year-old self couldn’t yet afford CDs right away) and made sure to get as much as I could by a band named Incubus. Among the songs I downloaded that night, there was "Pardon Me," the snazzy song I had heard on The Box, "Drive," the acoustic feel-good ballad, "A Certain Shade Of Green," their single off their last album, and "Make Yourself," the self-titled song off their latest record at the time. I was hooked, and this was definitely a good thing, seeming as I had just gotten my copies of Limp Bizkit’s Insignificant Other and Kid Rock’s Devil Without A Cause (he was a hometown guy). If this band had never come around, who knows where I would’ve ended up. I finally saved up fifteen dollars and went out and bought this CD, Make Yourself, and was really impressed by it. It had some trippy stuff in it, a mainstream rock appeal which made a (musically) shallow-minded suburban kid like me eat it up. Fortunately and unfortunately, Incubus came too late to be considered a real 90’s rock band like The Smashing Pumpkins or Bush, but came too early to be considered a “scene favorite”, they were in the middle, apart of that early 2000’s alternative deal. But they didn’t suck, they were always kind of experimental and refreshing unlike many of the other huge bands of that time period that have since died out. But it came at a time that helped me get into other sounds and get me away from the whole rap-rock thing. While Green Day was my first favorite band, Make Yourself was my first favorite CD, and a combination of the two gave me access to two of my two biggest influences, Saves The Day and New Found Glory and even further into bands like Brand New, Northstar, and Bright Eyes. It was the first record I really loved front to back (I didn’t like Enema Of The State back then) and it bridged a gap that quite possible could’ve saved my life. Looking back on it now, Make Yourself is still one of my favorites of all time. Brandon Boyd is still one of my favorite vocalists and I envy his stage presence. Some tracks you should really check out are “The Warmth,” “Make Yourself,” “I Miss You,” “Drive” and “Consequence.” (Nathan Lint)

Make Yourself

Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
Record Label: Dreamworks
Release Date: July 24, 2001

When Jimmy Eat World and I first crossed paths in 2001, I was admittedly an MTV kid. I listened to the crap on the radio and watched music videos semi-religiously, thinking I was such a badass. One day, I was watching and a catchy song called “The Middle” from a band I had never heard of came on, complete with a half-naked house party for a music video. I had to hear more. Soon, I checked out the whole album, Bleed American, and the rest is history. The raw aggression of the title track captivated me, the heartfelt exuberance of “Sweetness” enthralled me, the punchy playfulness of “The Authority Song” delighted me, and the overwhelming emotion of “Hear You Me” absolutely dominated my headphones for weeks on end. Never had I experienced such a complete body of music that could so shape my emotions, fit any mood of mine, and give me a whole new point of view. Jim Adkins' songwriting showed me a whole new outlook on who I was as a person and who I wanted to be. From there, I got into a lot of bands I credit with founding my interest in music like Green Day, Yellowcard, and Blink-182. I've always felt like you can't appreciate the contemporary music to its fullest extent without having at least a respect of the bands who got the ball rolling, and for me, Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American is the band that started it all. Bleed American was the gateway to who I am now as a music fan, and I must say, I still spin songs from the album on a weekly basis. It may not be everyone's choice for a “timeless” album of our generation, but for me, it is. It has stuck with me for six years, jam-packed with hundreds of other opportunities to divert my interest, through drastic changes in genre preferences, to continue being one of my favorite albums of all time. (Tony Pascarella)

Sweetness

The Juliana Theory
- Emotion is Dead
Record Label: Tooth & Nail Records
Release Date: August 29, 2000

I suppose at the spongy age of 16, I could've taken any album and loved it until its shiny coat wore dull. I also suppose that at that age, I was impressionable enough to take on anything that was different and special just so I could distance myself from robotic suburban teendom. And for that reason, it must've been combined luck and fate that brought my first handful of favorite albums during this time, especially since purchasing a record from a rock band was a blind expedition. On Emotion Is Dead, "To The Tune Of 5,000 Screaming Children" whirls into poignant, chunky guitars with a headstrong melody. I specifically remember being shaken down to my bone marrow. It seemed foreign to me that music like this could be rebellious, intimate, catchy and unlike anything in which I had been exposed without breaching a comfort zone. The Juliana Theory and Emotion Is Dead was one of the first band/album pairs that bridged that gap between the music that I enjoyed and the music that I connected with. This was a connection that understood me more than I understood me, and those striking chords and special sing-alongs dusted off a destined path that I've chased ever since. (Julia Conny)

To the Tune of 5,000 Screaming Children

Midtown - Save the World, Lose the Girl
Record Label: Drive-Thru Records
Release Date: March 9, 2000

In early 2000, my friend was showing me this awesome Internet thing called Napster. I knew next to nothing about computers/online at the time so I was both perplexed and amazed. He downloaded songs from two bands that I had never heard of, One Cool Guy and Midtown, both native New Jersey bands. I loved both and went home intending to do this Napster thing myself. I downloaded the program and, on my 56k connection, my choices were limited so I downloaded two songs by Midtown at random, "Just Rock and Roll" and "Let Go." These songs had me hooked from the second I heard them; I knew that I had to go out and get this CD. It was difficult to find it at first because Drive-Thru was a small label at the time but eventually I found it and it became history. I think the tri-vocal harmonies initially caught me but everything about it was so different from anything that I had been listening to and appealed to me in a different way: it was fun, it was honest, and it rocked. I found it particularly interesting that the guys of Midtown were hardly older than I was and were from my area of Milltown, NJ. At the time, I must have been the only person who didn't know the words to Jay-Z's "Can I Get A," but I didn't care because I was too busy singing along to songs like "Come On" and "Recluse." This album made me officially become obsessed with music and led me to other bands in the genre such as A New Found Glory (remember when they had the A?), Unwritten Law, Thursday, Millencolin, and At the Drive-In. Save the World, Lose the Girl was an album that changed my life, as it set a course for what my musical tastes have become. If it weren't for this album and this band, I would honestly be a completely different person. Years later, I still have this album in regular rotation and still love it as much as when I heard it that first time back in 2000 only now every song retains its own memory. Hey, it's just rock and roll. (Anton Djamoos)

Just Rock and Roll

Modest Mouse - This is a Long Drive for Someone With Nothing to Think About
Record Label: Up Records
Release Date: April 16, 1996

God bless this album for being so damn good yet, alas, unappreciated. The next critic I see ranting about how a new Modest Mouse album will never be as good as The Moon and Antarctica will get a friendly visit from a 9MM. Fuck that -- This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About remains to be a president in angular indie-rock and is an album that started it all for me. Isaac Brock's radiantly atmospheric guitar whining alongside Eric Judy's studiously paced and oddly hypnotizing bass line in "Dramamine" is the kind of instrumental exchange you see a lot nowadays, but has never been pulled off quite as good. Songs like the eccentrically realized and beautifully drawn out "Lounge" and the downright gorgeous "Talking Shit About A Pretty Sunset" are instant classics and warrant This Is A Long Drive... at least a little more attention. It'd probably be cliché to say at this point but I don't know where I'd be if it hadn't been for this album. Can anyone say Hinder or Nickelback -- I wouldn't doubt it. Thank you Modest Mouse. Thank you so very much. (Scott Irvine)

Dramamine

MxPx - Slowly Going the Way of the Buffalo
Record Label: A&M
Release Date: June 16, 1998

From break speed pace of the opening track to the ending instrumental - there is no album that better defines my youth than MxPx's Slowly Going the Way of the Buffalo. By looking back at this album we see the path of pop-punk before it became about eyeliner and Livejournals. We see a band crafting catchy tunes in a variety of tempos. We see risks, emotion, passion - feeling. While some may say Blink182 and Green Day (re)started the pop-punk revival some 10 years ago ... it is MxPx who will always stand in my heart as the band that introduced me into a world of music unlike any I had heard before. (Jason Tate)

Under Lock and Key

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over the Sea
Record Label: Merge Records
Release Date: February 10, 1998

It may be a rote and cliche answer in the indie world, but that doesn't mean that Neutral Milk Hotel's seminal album In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is not an absolutely amazing album. I had started listening to more "underground" and non-mainstream-rock radio music at that point, but it wasn't until I discovered and listened to Aeroplane that I realized that my preconceived notions of what constituted good music could be expanded. Jeff Mangum's lyrics, strange as they may be, made me start appreciating music as not just entertainment but as a real art form, where lyrics didn't have to be about teenage breakups and troubled childhoods. The way that he was able to incorporate so many instruments showed me that music wasn't necessarily just guitar/bass/drums/maybe synthesizer. I was so mesmerized by the album (and I continue to be amazed every time I listen) that Aeroplane still has an impact on the music I listen to today. It gave me a new appreciation for music that is willing to be different or experimental and started me on my path towards genres of music I would probably not have listened to otherwise - noise, mathcore, psych-folk, and many more. (Paul Tao)

Holland, 1945

New Found Glory - Self-Titled
Record Label: Drive-Thru Records/MCA
Release Date: September 26, 2000

On the verge of the release of From Your Screen To Your Stereo II, I can't help but flash back to a memory so vivid, I can relive it just by closing my eyes... the moment I discovered music was my power and my purpose. In seventh grade I overheard a friend raving about this mad sweet rock song called "Boy Crazy," and so on a whim I purchased New Found Glory's self-titled full length. A New Found Glory... pretty cool name I guess? What occurred next, when Discman headphones met juvenile ears, was a life-changing metamorphosis. Instantly I was up on my feet, uncontrollably jumping around my bedroom as if the drunken Dionysian spirit itself had invaded my limbs and demanded frenzy. It was a release of that cosmic energy that runs through our veins only in youth, that makes every moment in middle school a memory, that stitches your first girlfriend, your first kiss, your first crush into the lining of your heart for eternity. This record explained me, taught me, and most importantly changed me. Jordan's raw croon, crying of adolescence, puppy love sentiments, and boyish optimism, atop an endless wave of the band's soaring pop-punk hooks and melodies was everything a 13 year old me could have ever wished for. Years before Fall Out Boy even hit the scene, one group had already perfectly captured the magic of heart-on-sleeve pop punk in a tight, concise, 12 song tribute to growing up. From Pandora's box, the gods may have bestowed all the evils of mankind upon us, but thanks to some myth or empathetic deity, music affords us at least one of heaven's pleasures. New Found Glory's self-titled record gave me the ethereal gift that keeps on giving. (Garett Press)

Vegas

New Found Glory - Sticks & Stones
Record Label: Drive-Thru Records/MCA
Release Date: June 11, 2002

Once I bought Sticks & Stones, I knew this album, along with New Found Glory, would be favorites of mine for as long as I listened to music. Back when MTV would actually play music, I remembering seeing the video for "My Friends Over You" and it's something I'll never forget. At first I didn't know what to think. I wasn't familiar with this type of music, nor have I ever seen anything like this from a music video. It wasn't long until I had the guitar riff stuck in my head though. It stayed there for days until I happened to catch the video again, and then I knew that I needed this album. Little did I know that the album I was about to dish 19-something dollars on would open up the gates for music I know and love today. I popped it into my CD player and knew it was something special. Everything about it was amazing, including one of my favorite choruses of all time on "Understatement," the chills that ran down my spine during "Sonny," and the lyrics of "The Story So Far" that owned my AIM profile for months. Ever since then, Sticks & Stones has provided me with a smile on my face whenever I turn it on. It's tough to get upset now; it's too hard to turn it off. (Joe DeAndrea)

My Friends Over You

Stroke 9 - Nasty Little Thoughts
Record Label: Cherry/Universal
Release Date: September 7, 1999

Not all of us are blessed with hand-me-down record players and dinner discussions regarding Fleetwood Mac. So what if my parents didn’t sing me “Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds” as I drifted off to sleep. I still turned out OK. When I finally heard “Little Black Backpack” on a Top 40 radio station, I was hooked. I found the CD and begged(!) my grandmother to purchase the disc. As I grew up and learned more about life, the record continually evolved with me. What started out a fun pop record became a crutch to lean against when the world was beating me down. Nasty Little Thoughts opened up a world of interaction I had not known before. The members of Stroke 9 befriended me and I admired them. And, you can bet my kids will doze into dreamland with “Tail Of The Sun” playing in the background. Lucky punks. (Blake Solomon)

Washin' and Wonderin'

Thursday - Full Collapse
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: April 10, 2001

It starts and stops and starts and stops again....

Who would have thought a simple double strike on the drums would mold my musical tastes? Well, this is what exactly happened after hearing “Understanding (In A Car Crash)” for the first time. And the rest is history. Thursday’s second album, Full Collapse, means the world to me. I’ve always been a pop-punk/metal guy, but Full Collapse showed me a new world. From the heart on sleeve lyrics to Geoff Rickley’s passionate singing and screaming, this album has it all. Not one bad track, with songs like “Cross Out The Eyes” and “Paris In Flames” knocking your teeth out, while “Standing On The Edge Of Summer” and “How Long Is The Night?” ease you in only to hit your ears like a ton of bricks. Without Full Collapse, I don’t discover this site, so I owe a lot to this album, as I’ll definitely be passing it on to my children and the next generation. (Drew Beringer)

Understanding (In A Car Crash)

Weezer - Pinkerton
Record Label: Geffen Records, Inc.
Release Date: September 24, 1996

Let's face it, Pinkerton was a failure when it was released. Following the critical success of Weezer's eponymous pop masterpiece, the general audience failed to grasp what was portrayed on the band's sophomore album (Weezer frontman Rivers Cuomo even described it as "a hideous record…a painful mistake"). Under the canopy of the mainstream, a new subculture of fans embraced the disc for its sheer honesty (even Motion City Soundtrack and blink-182's Mark Hoppus, who have both praised the disc). Lyrically darker than its predecessor, Pinkerton dealt with topics that everyone could relate to, inspiring many fans to later delve deeper and check out bands like Sunny Day Real Estate and The Get Up Kids. Pinkerton is a living example of how an album can achieve the difficult honor of being simultaneously personal and heartfelt, yet retaining a pop sensibility catchy enough to stand the test of time. (Tom Good)

El Scorcho

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 219
01:54 AM on 09/15/07
Jason Tate
User Info.
Well done guys ... hope a few people check out these "gateway" albums and we can introduce people to some great tunes.
02:00 AM on 09/15/07
12:46AM
is a brain in a vat
User Info.
I agree with so many of these. This is awesome.

MxPx - Slowly Going the Way of the Buffalo was the first album I ever bought. I got it at Christian Publications with some worship CD. hahahaha. I bet you can guess what one I listed to more...

After that it was Hot Water Music and Alkaline Trio. I owe so much to those bands.

They led to TBS and Thrice and Thursday and Brand New and it was all over from there. Good times. Good memories.
02:02 AM on 09/15/07
TheBaroness
User Info.
Wow, great feature

I consider Jimmy Eat World's Static Prevails to be my 'gateway album'. Even though I only discovered this record because of Dude Rance, Static Prevails has been far more influential in guiding my tastes to this day. The minute 'Thinking, That's All' hit my ears all of a sudden everything just made sense. Everything I had been searching for in music was encapsulated in that one song.

From that point in time I joined the infamous Jimmy Eat World email discussion group, and life would never be the same. MP3's had only just come to prominance and I remember it taking over an hour to download one little song off the new album from this band called No Knife, not to mention all the others which were a daily point of discussion on the egroup (The Get Up Kids, The Promise Ring, Braid etc.) Even now I find it quite amazing that as a kid all the way in Australia I could tap into a music scene which, for all intents and purposes, was still small in its own heartland. To cut a long story short, music from that point became a constant companion. I shudder to think what my life might be like if I had never found a copy of Static Prevails on the shelves of Borders all those years ago.
02:11 AM on 09/15/07
Tyler Dumont
@tylerdumont
User Info.
my first album ever was Enema of the State.

and then Anthem changed the way I looked at my world, life and future.
02:11 AM on 09/15/07
jerseysbest
User Info.
Another great addition, well done guys.
02:24 AM on 09/15/07
Co and Ca
What are you doing here?
User Info.
The first time I ever felt something while listening to a CD was Maybe I'll Catch Fire by Alkaline Trio. At the time, I was into 311, System of a Down, Tool, Staind, A Perfect Circle and other generic radio rock bands. Those band's didn't make me feel any emotions. Alkaline Trio took out my heart and stomped on it, and I loved every minute of it. After I listened to it, I knew my life was changed. Thankfully, my brother introduced me to Saves the Day and Thursday not long after. That summer, all I listened to was Through Being Cool, Stay What You Are, Full Collaspe and the mentioned Maybe I'll Catch Fire. Before summer ended, I discovered Taking Back Sunday. That summer hold's a special place in my heart.

Another CD that changed my life was Oh, Inverted World by the Shins. In 2004 when my ex girlfriend broke up with me, I decided to just lay in bed for 2 weeks crying and listening to Copeland. When I decided to get out of bed and go online, I found myself on Brand New's website. One of the members mentioned the Shins in his journal. Since Brand New is one of my favorite bands, I decided to check the Shins out. I remember hearing 'Girl on the Wing' and wondering what the hell I was listening to. I thought it was too weird, yet I couldn't get enough of it. After that, I checked out Belle and Sebastian, the Thrills, matt pond PA, Rilo Kiley and many other bands I still listen to today.
02:41 AM on 09/15/07
myjokesmakeucry
i always bet it all
User Info.
weezer-blue and pinkerton
jimmy eat world-clarity
the get up kids-something to write home about
saves the day-through being cool
saves the day-i'm sorry i'm leaving
the juliana theory- understand this is a dream
further seems forever-the moon is down
dashboard confessional-swiss army romance and the places you have come to fear the most
new found glory- nothing gold can stay

of course there was green day and blink but these albums and bands had much more of an effect on me and introducing me to so much other music
02:46 AM on 09/15/07
12:46AM
is a brain in a vat
User Info.
The first time I ever felt something while listening to a CD was Maybe I'll Catch Fire by Alkaline Trio. At the time, I was into 311, System of a Down, Tool, Staind, A Perfect Circle and other generic radio rock bands. Those band's didn't make me feel any emotions. Alkaline Trio took out my heart and stomped on it, and I loved every minute of it. After I listened to it, I knew my life was changed. Thankfully, my brother introduced me to Saves the Day and Thursday not long after. That summer, all I listened to was Through Being Cool, Stay What You Are, Full Collaspe and the mentioned Maybe I'll Catch Fire. Before summer ended, I discovered Taking Back Sunday. That summer hold's a special place in my heart.
alk3 > life.
03:39 AM on 09/15/07
remyy
work like slaves – eat like kings
User Info.
My friends was always taking about this awesome band they heard on a skateboard movie. (Which later turned out to be Green Day)
We were shitkids running around with our skateboards listening to hiphop and mostly local bands all the time.
But this summer changed me!

As I said, they were talking about a band, noone really knew the name of it. But they thought it was Green House or something. I thought it sounded really shitty, what is this all about? But I decided to go to the recordstore and check out some songs by 'Green House' - The guy at the store did have some wage idea that I was talking about Green Day, so he gave me Dookie.
When I Come Around, Basket Case and S.H.E. was the soundtrack of our summer. I was like 10 or something at this point.
After that I got the opportunity to check out Offspring - Smash, Blink - Dude Ranch and all kinds of stuff, changed my life for sure :)

My beginning records:
Green Day - Dookie
The Offspring - Smash
Blink182 - Dude Ranch
Alkaline Trio - Goddamnit
Pennywise - Straight Ahead & Full Circle
03:56 AM on 09/15/07
StevenK
User Info.
Great thread/feature.

For me, it was Taking Back Sunday's Tell All Your Friends and Dashboard Confessional's The Places That You Come To Fear The Most that introduced me to a whole different genre of music. That was a good summer for me.
04:19 AM on 09/15/07
yakshemash
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I got Green Day's "Insomniac" (on cassette) when I was 8 or 9 and my life was never the same.
04:53 AM on 09/15/07
foisol
EST 1986
User Info.
I love this section, but Braid (i don't know whether it was the song selection or not) and Copeland can't do it for me.
05:14 AM on 09/15/07
julia_bagulia
User Info.
For me, since I'm just sixteen, it was pretty much Fall Out Boy's TTTYG. And that was after they became popular that I first listened to it. But they were my gateway to bigger and better things.

My beginning records:
The Matches-E. Von Dahl
Motion City-Commit This to Memory
Jimmy Eat World-Futures
Saves The Day-Through Being Cool
Taking Back Sunday-Tell All Your Friends
The Format-Dog Problems
05:15 AM on 09/15/07
MikeyEdge FL
Blue Jeans And White T-Shirts
User Info.
Descendents-"Everything Sucks"