Username
Password

10:12 AM on 03/11/12 
User Info.
dirty sanchez
Whatever else you do, stay true
STAY TRUEEEE
MAIL - 22 Years Old
I would easily pay top dollar to support a band that I like. I would pay $500+ for that.
01:25 PM on 03/11/12 
User Info.
sammyboy516
Male - 22 Years Old
I want to start a kickstarter as a social experiment to see if I could raise a crapload of money just by getting strangers to donate a buck or two to me. That would be awesome, haha.

Anyway, I think kickstarter is a great idea. It's a great way for bands who are/want to stay independent to raise money to record an album how they want to with no label intervention.

Also, as someone said in one of the Classic Crime threads, you aren't paying for a product with your donation - it's a donation to the band to keep doing what they do, make an album, tour, etc. So the price for a package/item isn't necessarily what the band thinks the product is worth, it's just what you get for that particular donation.
04:35 PM on 03/11/12 
User Info.
Max Stern
@HeyMaxSup
Denver, CO
Male - 22 Years Old
assholes like this give it a bad name
http://twitter.com/#!/MixtapesOhio/status/178358535674007553
05:23 PM on 03/11/12 
User Info.
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
ACTUALLY South Korea
Female
You know the thread's gonna turn out bad when ParkwayTom has one of the best posts in it.
05:24 PM on 03/11/12 
User Info.
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
ACTUALLY South Korea
Female
also, that Mixtapes band sucks. can't believe anyone fucks with that shit.
09:22 AM on 03/12/12 
User Info.
mfields10
Chapel Hill, NC
Male - 22 Years Old
I like the idea. It shows fans' interest in bands. If fans are willing to pay for their band's music, that is wonderful. Think about it from an economic point of view.

Record labels are going to spend money on a band so that they can release music. When the music gets released, 75% of the fans (I made that up, I have no idea the true percentage) will download the torrents of the music. This leaves the remaining minority that will actually buy the album. Say an album sales 10,000 units. If the label makes sure that it receives $30,000 before the album is released, then they already know they are ahead of the game. Any units sold after the release is just icing. It forces fans to buy the music if they want the music to be created.

Of course, this is only going to work for bands that have a big following, as many people are not okay with buying music blindly.

I'm thinking of labels as using kickstarter as a pre-order storefront and an interest meter. I'm not suggesting that labels use kickstarter as their only source of funding.
09:29 AM on 03/12/12 
User Info.
TooShort4
The
Ohio
Male - 22 Years Old
they weren't asking for 40k to tour. Their goal was 30k for releasing a new CD. That goal was already at 35k and they said if they got 40k they would go on a two week tour. i'm pretty sure they weren't asking for 40k to tour, 30k of it was for their cd.

http://underthegunreview.net/2012/03...aign-feedback/
09:30 AM on 03/12/12 
User Info.
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
Chicago
Male - 25 Years Old
What happened to supporting a band's touring endeavors by, ya know, buying tickets to shows?
09:32 AM on 03/12/12 
User Info.
TooShort4
The
Ohio
Male - 22 Years Old
What happened to supporting a band's touring endeavors by, ya know, buying tickets to shows?
you can only get paid so much for that. the venue needs to keep some profit to pay your employees, the band needs food, gas and other every day necessities. kick starter is great for touring bands, but some just get too greedy with it.
09:38 AM on 03/12/12 
User Info.
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
Chicago
Male - 25 Years Old
you can only get paid so much for that. the venue needs to keep some profit to pay your employees, the band needs food, gas and other every day necessities. kick starter is great for touring bands, but some just get too greedy with it.
Okay, cool. So now I have to pay for bands to be able to afford touring and then buy a ticket to go see them?

I legitimately don't understand the purpose of trying to commit to being a career musician if you can't afford to fund the most basic aspects of being a career musician.

I mean, I'm not trying to be discouraging, but people wouldn't put up with this shit in most other careers. Funding a band's tour is not the same as funding a project, which is the intended purpose of Kickstarter.
09:40 AM on 03/12/12 
User Info.
TooShort4
The
Ohio
Male - 22 Years Old
Okay, cool. So now I have to pay for bands to be able to afford touring and then buy a ticket to go see them?

I legitimately don't understand the purpose of trying to commit to being a career musician if you can't afford to fund the most basic aspects of being a career musician.

I mean, I'm not trying to be discouraging, but people wouldn't put up with this shit in most other careers. Funding a band's tour is not the same as funding a project, which is the intended purpose of Kickstarter.
no one says you have to. it just helps if you do donate because it's hard with the cost of living today, think of all the expenses each person has. but no one is forcing you to donate anything.
09:47 AM on 03/12/12 
User Info.
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
Chicago
Male - 25 Years Old
no one says you have to. it just helps if you do donate because it's hard with the cost of living today, think of all the expenses each person has. but no one is forcing you to donate anything.
Yeah, I get that, but it's not the fans' role or responsibility to incur those costs beyond paying for tickets and merch.

And that Facebook post makes it clear that people do have to donate money if they want to band to tour. Of course they're not being directly forced to, but they kind of are if they're interested in seeing the band live.

I mean, is this going to be the future? Am I going to have to "donate" to every artist I'd like to see live, just for the possible chance that they come near me on their two-week tour?
09:50 AM on 03/12/12 
User Info.
TooShort4
The
Ohio
Male - 22 Years Old
Yeah, I get that, but it's not the fans' role or responsibility to incur those costs beyond paying for tickets and merch.

And that Facebook post makes it clear that people do have to donate money if they want to band to tour. Of course they're not being directly forced to, but they kind of are if they're interested in seeing the band live.

I mean, is this going to be the future? Am I going to have to "donate" to every artist I'd like to see live, just for the possible chance that they come near me on their two-week tour?
yeah i see what you mean. i sure hope not.
09:52 AM on 03/12/12 
User Info.
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
Chicago
Male - 25 Years Old
yeah i see what you mean. i sure hope not.
Just to be clear, btw, I'm not necessarily anti-Kickstarter. But I just always imagine it as more of a project-based platform. Say, for instance, a band wants to use it to rerecord some old b-sides to release on a compilation or produce a live DVD. I just don't think it should shift from band's earning their stripes and signing to labels to having their entire careers privately funded by fans. That seems sketchy, at best, to me.
09:57 AM on 03/12/12 
User Info.
TooShort4
The
Ohio
Male - 22 Years Old
Just to be clear, btw, I'm not necessarily anti-Kickstarter. But I just always imagine it as more of a project-based platform. Say, for instance, a band wants to use it to rerecord some old b-sides to release on a compilation or produce a live DVD. I just don't think it should shift from band's earning their stripes and signing to labels to having their entire careers privately funded by fans. That seems sketchy, at best, to me.
yeah, i never really thought about it too much like that. I've never really used kickstarter. It just seems like an easy way out for bands too sometimes. Like a lot of bigger bands that use it, the ones with a great label and can put out their own CD without their fans donations. But by asking for their fans to donate to them, think of how much extra money they're bringing in, because due to their large fan base, you know they will reach their goal without even trying.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos