Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

SXSW 2012 Is Almost Here

Posted by: Paul Tao (03/12/12)
It's that time of the year again - SXSW is here! The interactive and film portions are already either underway or finished, but the part that interests all of us (music) is just about to start. As usual, AP.net staff members will be down in Austin covering a variety of parties, showcases, BBQs and everything else in between. I'll be down there once again (for my 7th year in a row!), along with Adam and Eda, to cover all of our activities. We'll be updating the @apnetatshow twitter account fairly often with some of the shows we see, so make sure to follow that. If you want even more updates, you can follow us on our individual twitter accounts: @paultao, @alueda and @p_is_silent.

Check the replies for a brief list of tips, showcases, and other things you might need to know if you're planning on heading down to Austin this week.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 37
10:35 AM on 03/12/12
Paul Tao
User Info.
Some Important Things To Note:
1. Make a schedule of every band you want to see. Try and see as many at similar showcases. Lines are a pain, and it's better to get in early and stay at some showcases all day than trying to hop from one to the other. For some packed houses, once you're outside the venue, you're back in line waiting. This means, you could have 20 bands you want to see in four days - maybe pick SIX you really want to see.

2. RSVP to everything you can. Not gonna go? If you decide you all of a sudden do, you'll be on the list anyway when you happen to show up because you didn't want to wait in line any longer for that "special guest" announced over your Twitter feed at another showcase.

3. Cash is your friend. I'm not saying walk around with your bank account, but food vendors will be everywhere and they don't take plastic. Also, free drinks doesn't necessarily mean you have to be a jerk and not tip a $1. C'mon. Also, most bands DON'T get paid to come play, so SXSW is a great time to snag merch, there sometimes there is plenty of SXSW only editions of t-shirts and vinyl.

4. Bring your phone charger with you wherever you go. Your phone will undoubtedly die within a few hours because you'll be texting/calling/emailing constantly to meet up with friends.

5. A few must-have items for your trip - Emergen-C or something similar (trust me, you'll need some vitamins and stuff every morning to prevent death), insoles for your shoes (you'll be doing more walking here in a week than you probably do in a year normally) and some kind of bag to carry around with you at the shows (for the free swag being handed out on every corner).

Smaller Acts We're Stoked To Catch, Besides The Obvious Bigger Ones:
Indian Handcrafts, Bleeding Knees Club, Narrows, Chairlift, Doomtree, Marriages, Chelsea Wolfe, Braid, Purity Ring, Haim, Alabama Shakes, Blood Orange.

Parties That Look Fun (besides ours, duh!):
Topshelf Records, Count Your Lucky Stars, Shirts For a Cure, Mightier Than Sword, Sargent House, Dummy Magazine, Waynestock II, Buzzbands LA, Swinghouse/D'Addario.
(We're leaving out the easy ones like FADER Fort/Purevolume/Filter/Mess With Texas) etc

Parties AP Staff Members Are Involved In And Thus Shamelessly Promoting On Here:
notSXSW day 1, day 2, day 3, and the IAMSOUND/School Night showcase.

Food Carts: Kebabalicious, Best Wurst and El Chupacabra.

Vinyl: Waterloo Records and End of an Ear.

Last but very definitely not least, we expect to see everyone at the AP.net party Friday night at the PureVolume House. You can RSVP here, and make sure to say hi to Eda and I, who will be djing off and on.

10:41 AM on 03/12/12
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Ahhh.... this hasn't sunk in yet! It's going to be insane.
11:00 AM on 03/12/12
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
Wooooo! Be there Wednesday morning!
11:00 AM on 03/12/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
You mugs best be seeing Thee Oh Sees at least once...

They're only playing about ten showcases...
11:02 AM on 03/12/12
ChaseTx
I'll be there for Friday night & Saturday! Looking for the right thing to check out Saturday night.
11:06 AM on 03/12/12
James Shotwell
User Info.
My flight is at 715 tomorrow morning! See everyone at the party
11:10 AM on 03/12/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
SXSW, aka music industry vacation week.
11:13 AM on 03/12/12
oldwirehands
billionsandbillions / Chris
User Info.
Leaving in two days; wish I had the money to leave now!
11:14 AM on 03/12/12
Paul Tao
User Info.
SXSW, aka music industry vacation week.
Half yes, half no. With all the shit I have to do this week, it's far from a vacation! It's just that it's acceptable to have a beer while working this week.
11:21 AM on 03/12/12
ChaseTx
Anyone want to split a hotel/motel room for Saturday morning? I'm leaving Sunday, but definitely can't stay up all night Friday, all day Saturday, and all night again. haha
11:21 AM on 03/12/12
oldwirehands
billionsandbillions / Chris
User Info.
Yeah, I'm assuming not much sleep time will be available. Gonna make sure to have plenty of Red Bull with me.
11:27 AM on 03/12/12
8SlicesOfPie
http://dwhb.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Hopefully gonna make it out to a couple shows later in the week.
11:38 AM on 03/12/12
ChaseTx
Yeah, I'm assuming not much sleep time will be available. Gonna make sure to have plenty of Red Bull with me.
yeah, but with this party ending at 5am, then whatever is going on Saturday night, Saturday morning will be rough. Caffeine can only go so far before jitters and system shutdown commence.
11:50 AM on 03/12/12
bladerdude360
saved latin. What did you ever do?
User Info.
Wish I could be there for this. I'm sure you guys will all have a blast!
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests