AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Rdio Gets Redesigned

Posted by - 10:57 AM on 03/13/12
One of my favorite websites, Rdio, has undergone a facelift. iTunes is crying in a corner somewhere. Now, if only the AP.net redesign could go as smoothly. Highly recommend grabbing the Rdio Mac app.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 61
11:00 AM on 03/13/12
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Really looks good. I think Spotify's biggest error is not having a web app
11:04 AM on 03/13/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
The funny part is that the portion of the old design that I flat out Picasso-borrowed for the new APnet layout - is no longer is there. Hahaha.
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Jason, can you kind of describe the comparisons/contrasts between this and Spotify? Want to make sure I'm using the best option and Spotify is kinda iffy for me lately.
Jason Tate
User Info.
Really looks good. I think Spotify's biggest error is not having a web app
Their Facebook priorty though keeps them at the top of the market.

Love the new "online" feature of the rdio app. Seeing who is online/what they're listening to - is awesome.
11:06 AM on 03/13/12
Chemical Love
-
User Info.
Do you have to pay for Rdio? Sorry if thats a dumb question, I get confused with all these streaming sites.
11:09 AM on 03/13/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Jason, can you kind of describe the comparisons/contrasts between this and Spotify? Want to make sure I'm using the best option and Spotify is kinda iffy for me lately.
I wrote about it somewhere once - but I don't remember the exact place it is ... so here's a quicker rundown:

1) Spotify has more people on it - so if you're going to share a song with someone, odds are they're on Spotify and can hear it/listen to it. They've got a slightly larger catalog from what I've seen (but maybe once out of ever hundred times I look for an album I find it on Spotify and not Rdio, so it's not that big a deal). Spotify has ads unless you pay for it. You can, however, play your own library in it - which is really nice.

2) Rdio's got the better interface (IMO it's not close). I love their apps. Love their recommendation engine. Love being able to embed players - and share the music with friends. It's free without ads for a certain time per month - but I pay for it cause I love the mobile apps and listen to it almost exclusively now (besides advances). You can't listen to your own catalog/library on it - which is the one downfall if you're looking for something that's not released yet.

My personal preference is Rdio based mostly on the experience and ease of use. A lot of time has gone into making sure the experience is great -- and I really respect that.
11:11 AM on 03/13/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Do you have to pay for Rdio? Sorry if thats a dumb question, I get confused with all these streaming sites.
It's free. Only for a certain number of hours each month though (I think that's how Spotify works too).

But if you want mobile access - it costs.
11:13 AM on 03/13/12
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
I wrote about it somewhere once - but I don't remember the exact place it is ... so here's a quicker rundown:

1) Spotify has more people on it - so if you're going to share a song with someone, odds are they're on Spotify and can hear it/listen to it. They've got a slightly larger catalog from what I've seen (but maybe once out of ever hundred times I look for an album I find it on Spotify and not Rdio, so it's not that big a deal). Spotify has ads unless you pay for it. You can, however, play your own library in it - which is really nice.

2) Rdio's got the better interface (IMO it's not close). I love their apps. Love their recommendation engine. Love being able to embed players - and share the music with friends. It's free without ads for a certain time per month - but I pay for it cause I love the mobile apps and listen to it almost exclusively now (besides advances). You can't listen to your own catalog/library on it - which is the one downfall if you're looking for something that's not released yet.

My personal preference is Rdio based mostly on the experience and ease of use. A lot of time has gone into making sure the experience is great -- and I really respect that.
Gotcha. How much is the rdio option with the mobile app, because that's what I have with Spotify right now. My biggest problem with Spotify is the lack of some relatively decent sized bands and a general lack of fucks given in terms of interface and correct song-titles/artwork/etc. Though I do like having the option to play my library while on the CPU. However, I have been thinking about just going with playlists from now on to free up some hard drive space.
11:17 AM on 03/13/12
Brett9
a creative username?
User Info.
Wow this is really nice...it's rare that I find these redesigns to be immediately satisfying, but I loved it as soon as I saw it.

It'll hold me over until the AP.net redesign happens.
11:19 AM on 03/13/12
fsmith84
Lock and load
User Info.
I hope Rdio crushes Spotify. I've been a homer for a while and this redesign just shows that they care as much about the "experience" of music as the music itself.

Seriously people - Spotify is the Zune of streaming music websites. I have no idea how they succeed.
11:19 AM on 03/13/12
ACA
Next Show: Jimmy Eat World 10/20
User Info.
If they released some sort of integrated plugin with Winamp Media Library, I'd definitely use this. $5 month to supplement my collection is totally worth it.
11:27 AM on 03/13/12
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Rdio is great, but I only ever use the app. Never seen the website til right now
11:30 AM on 03/13/12
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
There was nothing wrong with Rdio's old interface. The problem with Rdio is I can't listen to my tracks that aren't on Rdio alongside my tracks on Rdio.

If they teamed up with Amazon's cloud service to host the personal tracks they would provide a service that blows all the compitition out of the water. Without it, all the effort they put towards other changes just seems like its missing the point.
11:33 AM on 03/13/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Gotcha. How much is the rdio option with the mobile app, because that's what I have with Spotify right now. My biggest problem with Spotify is the lack of some relatively decent sized bands and a general lack of fucks given in terms of interface and correct song-titles/artwork/etc. Though I do like having the option to play my library while on the CPU. However, I have been thinking about just going with playlists from now on to free up some hard drive space.
I think with mobile it's $9.99 a month.

/We use the family plan for me and the wife at $17.99 a month.

The other thing is that Rdio has more of an "album centric" way of playing music - where I've always felt Spotify is more about the playlist/individual song. I listen to albums - so being able to just queue up a bunch of albums and songs - hit play - and not think about it - is something I definitely love about Rdio.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos