AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Nightmare Of You - Bang EP Album Cover

Nightmare Of You - Bang EP

Reviewed by
Nightmare Of YouBang EP
Record Label: The Bevonshire Label (Self-Released)
Release Date: September 11, 2007
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Now that we’ve all settled into Nightmare Of You’s sound, now that the shock of dancey indie pop has worn off, we can truly appreciate the group. Their self-titled debut was an unexpected surprise that eventually turned into one of the most replayable albums in my collection. Here’s the abridged version: if you liked Nightmare of You, you’re going to absolutely adore Bang. The EP is a simple, 5-song offering clocking in at less than 20 minutes. (Brace for cliché). Despite its lack of quantity, Bang’s quality could hardly be higher.

Someone once told me I was very self-aware. I laughed it off quickly, while inwardly I was thrown into a spiral of over-analyzation. Still, my mean streak of nervous sweats and nightmares is nothing compared to Brandon Reilly. His lyrics usually focus on, well, himself. But I hesitate to call him self-centered. He knows himself better than anything else, so it makes sense that he spend time on his thoughts/going-out habits (a recurring them on Bang)/love escapades. Frankly, not many people can pull off a line like, “There’s nothing in this world / that’s quite prescribable / that makes me feel / the way I feel / when I look into your eyes,” without making it sound totally cheesy.

“I Was Never A Normal Boy” makes use of large, electric guitar swells and a strum-happy acoustic guitar while Reilly switches back and forth between his lazy delivery and a piercing falsetto. Sounds complicated, I know, but in true Nightmare Of You fashion, the execution is deceptively simple. “You’re Very Dear To Me” uses a whizzing synth that, along with Reilly’s slightly augmented vocals, succeeds in giving the track a glam-pop persuasion. The band’s other “big name,” drummer Samuel Siegler, plays an especially big part in “Herbal Jazz Cigarette.” As the name suggests, the song has a big band feel with Siegler’s snares pushing the song to multiple climaxes (dirty!). The band is as tight as ever, and Bang only makes me more excited for a new full length. However, as I alluded to earlier, their sound hasn’t branched out much. Bang’s tracks have a blending quality, but not in the “Which one was Jeff again?” way – think “Jeff and I mesh well together.” Still, the band’s ability to bring life to disenchanted indie rock is a feat in itself. Luckily for us, Brandon Reilly doesn’t seem to be getting any less bored. Stay in all you want, sir. Just keep writing them tunes.

Recommended If You Like: The Killers, The Sterns, Axe bodyspray, Fountains Of Wayne, something Of something (apparently the well is finally running dry)

Always keep the safety on.www.myspace.com/nightmareofyou

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
09:52 PM on 09/18/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
I have two tests in the morning. One at 9 and one at 10. Instead of finishing studying, I finished this review. I needed a break. I'm a lost cause.
10:07 PM on 09/18/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
I need to listen to this bad. Why haven't I done so yet? I fail.
10:23 PM on 09/18/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
buy it on itunes, it'll take 2 minutes!
10:47 PM on 09/18/07
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
Any coincidence that I wear Axe bodyspray and love the Bang ep?
10:49 PM on 09/18/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Any coincidence that I wear Axe bodyspray and love the Bang ep?

lolz. sounds like fate to me.
09:16 AM on 09/19/07
kearn1tm
l;ajdfkoeiwptn.zbmzn,.vnv m,ekdo
User Info.
As opposed to actually listening in my 8:00 AM lecture hall, I listened to this EP on my headphones in the back of the room. Coincidence?

Great review and good look on the tests.
09:28 AM on 09/19/07
petey536
peace
User Info.
Good review. This cd is really dancy
09:37 AM on 09/19/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
the tests went decently enough. I hope to be able to at least get B's on both of them.
10:54 AM on 09/19/07
HelpMeSleep
fuck what you know.
User Info.
good review. i listened to some of the songs on a streaming website thing. i want this. :)
11:42 AM on 09/19/07
TheJeanGenie
User Info.
i adore the ep.

i need a new full length like right now
11:42 AM on 09/19/07
Mediocrity
User Info.
Ahhh I do love me a bit of Nightmare of You...I want this!
01:42 PM on 09/19/07
Steve Zapp
Driving East / Steve
User Info.
I've been waiting for this ep for a while now though I was upset to find out it wasnt a full length it did not let me down. Great review.
01:53 PM on 09/19/07
grimis16
User Info.
at first i didnt like this ep except "herbal jazz.." but now im really digging it. Still not a fan of the song, "bang" though
07:18 PM on 09/19/07
Steve Zapp
Driving East / Steve
User Info.
at first i didnt like this ep except "herbal jazz.." but now im really digging it. Still not a fan of the song, "bang" though

Bang's the reason I bought a copy instead of downloading it. I'm a sucker for sax.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos