Password

Album Review

Front Page - Still Learning Album Cover

Front Page - Still Learning

Reviewed by
Front Page - Still Learning EP
Release Date: June 26th, 2007
Label: Assassinated Records

Have you ever heard a band that tries so hard to sound like someone in a way that would normally fail but actually succeed in writing heartfelt tunes that could've actually been written by the other band back in the day? Well meet Front Page, a quintet from Mount Laurel, New Jersey who have an uncanny resemblance to Saves The Day during their Can't Slow Down/Through Being Cool days. It's a bit more nasally, the lyrics are a bit modernized (references to cell phone text messaging), but it's still the same emotion, and you would think that these girls are the same girls that tortured the Chris Conley and the rest of Saves The Day at that time.

It all starts with a track that starts off with a few acoustc strums on a guitar, "Way To Ignore Me", then turns itself into a powerful opening track where you hear just plain raw emotion out of vocalist Zac Eisensteins lips. From there, we go to a minute and a half song called "Chokehold", i'll let the lyrics tell the story. "Hey Al, do you remember the sun? It used to never go down when we were young. the summer was the release, the summer was the end of a nine month chokehold. We grow up and we learn. We don't go out past the houses anymore. We grow, we learn, release of a nine month chokehold. I never needed to be taught who my friends were". They speed it up with "Q&A" and right back down "Bigshot". If one thing is for sure, these guys know how to speed tempo up and slow it back down, but still convey the same ideas. "Can I Borrow Your Pencil" and "Mathematics" do the same sort of thing, but show off a different kind of emotion, an emotion more of want than angst. The EP finishes with "Dear Mom" which basically tells a story of a guy telling his mom his girlfriend dumped him and what his plans were for the day. This song of song story telling reminds me of songs like "Shoulder To The Wheel" and "Houses And Billboards".

These guys have a very similar sound to a lot of the melodic hardcore bands of the late 90's. Many of them have grown up, gotten smarter, changed their sound, but the emotion is still there. After two EP's from the quintet, as long as they keep making music, they're going to be a band that runs a pure emotion. Maybe in 2017, i'll be listening to a band and think that "they have an uncanny resemblance to Front Page"

Recommended If You LikeSaves The Day, Lifetime, The Movielife, New Jersey

Additional InformationTrack Listing
1. Way To Ignore Me
2. Chokehold
3. Q & A
4. Bigshot
5. Can I Borrow Your Pencil?
6. Mathematics
7. Departure
8. Dear Mom

Myspace ; Order the album
This review is a user submitted review from Nathan Lint. You can see all of Nathan Lint's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
02:08 PM on 09/20/07
Otakoust
User Info.
these guys have some really catchy songs. Way To Ignore Me is probably my favorite i'm looking forward to what comes next out of this band.
03:33 PM on 09/20/07
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
I had this band's demo and should've liked it in theory, but I think it was another case of terrible vocals ruining it for me.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos