AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Magnetic North - Page Turners For Book... Album Cover

Magnetic North - Page Turners For Book...

Reviewed by
Magnetic NorthPage Turners For Book Burners
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: 2007 (out now)
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Who?

Magnetic North have talent, it just becomes misplaced all too often. Their occasionally electronic, prog-rock/screamo formula has no flaws in its execution. However, the parts I seem to dig the most end up as accents rather than focal points. Sometimes it’s frustrating to be me.

How Is It?

Like an ice-cold soda, the first sips fizzle and burst with energy. Though as one continues through Page Turners For Book Burners, attention spans and enjoyment seriously wane (especially on cock rock “masterpiece,” “Means To An End”). Still, the opener balances the groups post-hardcore and rock influences while even adding piano. Then, “Only As Directed” bursts open with hearty screams and a catchy chorus. The short, electronic breakdown is a nice change from the EP’s repetitive-sounding riffs. Magnetic North are on their way to a sound that works, but Page Turners For Book Burners is far too forgettable. The new era of scream/sing is all about what bands can do to stand out. Sadly, Magnetic North blend with the best (worst) of them.

Recommended If You Like: Lostprophets, Deftones, "2 shots of tequila, Jaeger, beer," Blessthefall, "that's a wrap on the rest of the day."

quote quote quotewww.myspace.com/magneticnorth

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
05:39 PM on 09/22/07
promisesandlies
psychic dj doctor mcninja
User Info.
Not gonna lie, I love these boys like no other. Their live show makes it worth it, and their newer material is far better than the stuff on Page Turners (I don't think they even play the last song on the EP anymore, actually.) If you get a chance to check them out live, I'd highly recommend them.
09:07 PM on 09/22/07
Kileb
RedCobraKile
User Info.
there was a band that was started in the late 90's in my town called magnetic north. they were rad simple high school lyrics. one of the guitar players (charley) plays drums in kane hodder. and the bass player and drummer play in country band as well as bass and drums i believe on tumbledown's(mike from mxpxs country thing)record.
10:35 PM on 09/22/07
average_jane
poppunkjunkie.blogspot.co m
User Info.
Not gonna lie, I love these boys like no other. Their live show makes it worth it, and their newer material is far better than the stuff on Page Turners (I don't think they even play the last song on the EP anymore, actually.) If you get a chance to check them out live, I'd highly recommend them.

hi elyse!
01:14 AM on 09/23/07
promisesandlies
psychic dj doctor mcninja
User Info.

Hey, I know you! :-D Sometimes even the lurkers have to come out of the woodwork, hehe.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos