AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Every Avenue - Ah! Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9.25
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 8.85
Lyrics 8.8
Production 9.1
Creativity 8.9
Lasting Value 9.05
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Average: 89%
Inside AP.net

Every Avenue - Ah!

Reviewed by: tm decomposer (09/19/07)
Every Avenue- Ah!
Record Label: Fearless Records
Release Date: August 14, 2007

So far in 2007 there have been many band break ups, with notable front runners in the pop punk genre including The Early November and Spitalfield going down. It has also been the up rise of the new batch of pop punk bands such as The Dangerous Summer, All Time Low, Four Year Strong and many more. Sometime in June, Fearless Records announced one of those young gun pop punk bands, Every Avenue.

Forming in 2003, Every Avenue have been gaining more and more fans with their “happy” pop punk. Even drummer Michael Govaere says, “We try to stay fun and energetic. We don’t scream or do cliché hardcore breakdowns like so many other bands.” With that statement, Every Avenue offers you Ah!

Before Every Avenue signed to Fearless, they announced they were recording their album with Broken English Record’s producer John Naclerio. With them picking Naclerio, by instinct I knew this was going to be a great release. Ah! opens with “One More Song,” an upbeat, captivating song. While this EP is claimed “fun and energetic” it still brings back depressing memories for Strauchman. The single “Where Were You” is a story about a girl David dated, but nothing happened. Though it seems sad, Dave then hints about how the girl came “Back to where we left off,” showing how Every Avenue turns positive with a small negative. Every Avenue even mixes some synth in “Nothing” that resembles Take This To Your Grave-era Fall Out Boy. Every Avenue also dishes out tracks The Ataris would have made back in the So Long, Astoria days. My favorite track off Ah!, “Picking Up the Pieces,” is all about exploding guitars, standout vocals, and overall fun; this song is made to be stuck in your head.

We could strike this fire down / But leave the sparks between us / And when the flames came pouring out / You didn’t find us / We were standing all around picking up the pieces

“Think of You Later (Empty Room)” illustrates a song found in the next National Lampoon movie when someone fantasies about a girl. “Think of you later in my empty room.” Anyone can somehow relate to that line. Closing Ah! is “Getting Out.” Again bringing memories of Fall Out Boy, Every Avenue continues to push with the upbeat pop punk.

There isn’t much negative I can say about this EP, except the similarities in songs. While the EP doesn’t have a dull moment, there’s no song where Every Avenue decides to slow the tempo down. But, Every Avenue states a strong point about being a fun, energetic pop punk band. If Ah! was a full length instead of an EP, this would defiantly top many pop punk bands releases. Not only is this my favorite EP this year, it’s one of the catchiest albums I have ever heard – even as catchy as The Starting Line’s Say It Like You Mean It.

Additional InfoTrack Listing
01. One More Song
02. Where Were You
03. Nothing
04. Picking Up the Pieces
05. Think of You Later (Empty Room)
06. Getting Out

Producer: John Naclerio

Standout Tracks”Picking Up the Pieces,” “Where Were You"

For Fans OfThe Ataris, Fall Out Boy, The Starting Line, Happy Music

ListenWebsite MySpace Buy

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
12:38 PM on 09/22/07
average_jane
poppunkjunkie.blogspot.co m
User Info.
I love this band, and your review is dead on.
01:07 PM on 09/22/07
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
I've only heard "Where Were You", and I wasn't really into it. You've convinced me to check out the rest of the EP, though.
01:47 PM on 09/22/07
applesandcyanid
Trollin' Absolutepunk.
User Info.
Scores way too high all across the board. I was dissapointed by this release, it's too cheesy.
02:18 PM on 09/22/07
Stiflin07
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The EP is so good.
04:37 PM on 09/22/07
racecar
User Info.
Scores way too high all across the board. I was dissapointed by this release, it's too cheesy.

i agree. cheesy at best. not catchy, cheesy.
trite also.
04:52 PM on 09/22/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
I personally really love this EP. It shows a lot of light that not other bands have shown yet.

Thanks for your opinions guys.
04:58 PM on 09/22/07
saving jonathan
everything in transit
User Info.
more michigan boys. gotta love it.
i'll be sure to check this out.

can it compare to the years gone by's on the verge EP?
05:19 PM on 09/22/07
SoCoRocksMySock
User Info.
Think of You Later is def my favorite song. I hear radio potential there. maybe? But def a great EP.

Oh, and word to the dangerous summer reference, love that band. Best add fireworks and driving East to that list though:)
10:11 PM on 09/22/07
calibouncee
User Info.
I really love this EP.
i got "where Were You" for free off of some promotional thing, and now im obsessed.
i checked out the rest of their EP, but i didnt buy it.
but now im thinking i should if its really like the Startling Lines SILYMI
12:06 PM on 09/23/07
Shatter590
Shinigami Is Watching You
User Info.
something i definitely need to check out then!
02:45 PM on 09/23/07
huckleberry
Play Ultimate!
User Info.
i listened to it a little while ago and liked what i heard
07:30 PM on 09/24/07
scmaley
And away we go
User Info.
Absolutely as catchy as TSL's Say It Like You Mean It. It's a really fun EP!
07:55 AM on 12/15/07
supersonic182
User Info.
I'm fond of this EP. I listened to most of the tracks, and recently purchased their EP from Smartpunk, and it really was a good deal. It's also on sale on the Fearless records track for $3.00 which is a bargain price seeing as I purchased it for $3.99. Even still, it's great. The songs are catchy, upbeat and fun, and even though there are similar artists; this is one of those bands that actually don't have just one or two songs to hold on to. The whole EP is decent.
11:44 AM on 12/18/07
screamoURI
it feels like summer in october
User Info.
if anyone wants this from me, PM me. i took a chance on this band without ever hearing a song before and after playing it thru once, it is not for me. radio friendly soft alternative for 13 year old girls. maybe we can trade or something.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums