Album Review
The Early November / I Am the Avalanche - Split EP Album Cover

The Early November / I Am the Avalanche - Split EP

Reviewed by
The Early November / I Am the Avalanche [Split]
Record Label: Drive-Thru Records
Release Date: July 26, 2005
Who?

Ace Enders and company made up The Early November, one of South Jersey’s most beloved bands in recent memory. Formed from the ashes of The Movielife are I Am the Avalanche, Long Island veteran Vinnie Caruana’s current project.

How is it?

Contributing two tracks each, it’s quite surprising The Early November disappoint with their opening couple. I usually embrace demos, or rough cuts of an album, so “Outside” was a promising prospect. As it turns out, the slightly annoying striking of keys is heard throughout, and the slower pace compared to the album version makes the song drag. I know, I know, this is only a demo, but as I stated, I usually love demos. “Ever So Sweet (Live from Philly)” is no more than a decent live recording, but at least it’s somewhat humorous; as soon as Enders compliments the crowd, ‘You guys sound great,’ an inopportune out of tune croon is heard coming from the background. On the flip side, I Am the Avalanche aren’t anything groundbreaking, but their music is well suited to the Long Island loyal. Their songs continue where Forty Hour Train Back to Penn left off, combining Caruana’s poppy vocals with the hardcore influenced musicianship of his band mates. “New Disaster” is the better of the two tracks and features some straightforward lyrics with a bit of imagery: ‘Well she said, she said / You’re so fucking irresistible / As she lowered her head / Into her hands / Guess it happened again.’

If you can spare a couple dollars to test out I Am the Avalanche, this release will get the job done, but fans of The Early November need not apply.

Recommended if You LikeThe Early November b-sides, a taste of Vinnie Caruana

myspace.com/theearlynovember
myspace.com/iamtheavalanche
This review is a user submitted review from Adrian Villagomez. You can see all of Adrian Villagomez's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 31
10:04 AM on 09/21/07
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
I am a huge TEN fan, but you're right, this wasn't all that great.
10:09 AM on 09/21/07
Adrian Villagomez
The Sword the Anvil the Stone
User Info.
I am a huge TEN fan, but you're right, this wasn't all that great.
I bought this split specifically for TEN, but ended up listening to I Am the Avalanche way more. And "Outside" is one of the best tracks on TEN's triple disk, but this demo version lags way behind the album version.
10:28 AM on 09/21/07
anamericangod
User Info.
I like the live version of Ever So Sweet a lot actually. I'm fairly certain the out of tune croon is Ace himself.
10:29 AM on 09/21/07
Adrian Villagomez
User Info.
I like the live version of Ever So Sweet a lot actually. I'm fairly certain the out of tune croon is Ace himself.
I've heard much better from these guys. And I'm not a big fan of hearing the crowd during a song, given certain exceptions.
11:01 AM on 09/21/07
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
Yeah I'm the same way...but "Ever So Sweet" is just a song that the crowd is going to sing along to when it is played. Hell, in the three times that I saw them I sang every word of every song at the top of my lungs...no shame here!
11:20 AM on 09/21/07
Grizzlybear
User Info.
saying i am the avalanche has any hardcore aspect to it at all is fucking ridiculous. and this came out two years ago. and i am the avalanche is great. horrible review.
11:34 AM on 09/21/07
Holly HoX!
User Info.
this is a wack ass review. first off this isn't a good description of IATA if anyone if hearing of them for the first time. there is nothing hardcore about them. if anything they are a pop-punk influence that also has for hints of indie. this band is amazing and vinnie is one of the best singer/lyricist out there. their ablum is real, gritty, catchy and emotional. check out their full length and skip this snippet of the greatness that is i am the avalanche.
12:27 PM on 09/21/07
(SceneNameHere)
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
two years after the fact, a review for such a minor release... why?
01:23 PM on 09/21/07
Adrian Villagomez
User Info.
Yeah I'm the same way...but "Ever So Sweet" is just a song that the crowd is going to sing along to when it is played. Hell, in the three times that I saw them I sang every word of every song at the top of my lungs...no shame here!
Oh, yeah, singing along at shows is expected, don't get me wrong - I just don't really care to hear it.

If it's in this genre and I know it, then you know it's old.
That's 'cause you're our hip-hop King.

saying i am the avalanche has any hardcore aspect to it at all is fucking ridiculous. and this came out two years ago. and i am the avalanche is great. horrible review.
yeah, vinnie would think it's fucking ridiculous since he wasn't influenced by hardcore at all. and this came out two years ago. and i am the avalanche is great. terrible review.

this is a wack ass review. first off this isn't a good description of IATA if anyone if hearing of them for the first time. there is nothing hardcore about them. if anything they are a pop-punk influence that also has for hints of indie. this band is amazing and vinnie is one of the best singer/lyricist out there. their ablum is real, gritty, catchy and emotional. check out their full length and skip this snippet of the greatness that is i am the avalanche.
I Am the Avalanche is country. Try not to explode.

two years after the fact, a review for such a minor release... why?
Because I love how much people complain about my reviewing "old" releases. Brightens my day.
01:29 PM on 09/21/07
MikeJCotugno
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
what a stupid review. a split, for songs that were on both their albums afterwards.
01:40 PM on 09/21/07
Adrian Villagomez
User Info.
what a stupid review. a split, for songs that were on both their albums afterwards.
"Ever So Sweet" is a song from The Room's Too Cold, which was released in 2003. The EP reviewed was released in 2005. Did The Early November go back in time after recording this split so that your use of "afterwards" in the second sentence doesn't make you look ignorant? Yes, quite possible.

And yes, it's against natural law, I can't review anything released longer than a month ago.
02:59 PM on 09/21/07
OveriseFan
is not Oversized...
User Info.
I'm not a big fan of the review, but not because I'm picky about genres (IATA do have hardcore influences, if you don't think so, you're an idiot.) or because it's old, but because I feel the review, like the EP, lacks depth. Maybe that was the intention, or maybe it's hard to have depth on a four song split EP, especially when one of the songs is a live recording of an old song. The review is just a little bland, but as stated, it's a four song split EP, which gives you little room to discuss each band.

Decent review for what you had to work with.
04:03 PM on 09/21/07
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
TEN's half was definitely disappointing, but they were only put on there so people would buy it and discover IATA.

Yeah, lackluster review though.
04:18 PM on 09/21/07
Adrian Villagomez
User Info.
I'm not a big fan of the review, but not because I'm picky about genres (IATA do have hardcore influences, if you don't think so, you're an idiot.) or because it's old, but because I feel the review, like the EP, lacks depth. Maybe that was the intention, or maybe it's hard to have depth on a four song split EP, especially when one of the songs is a live recording of an old song. The review is just a little bland, but as stated, it's a four song split EP, which gives you little room to discuss each band.

Decent review for what you had to work with.
Finally, something I can work with.

Could you possibly be more specific about the blandness of this review? Perhaps it's because IATA (the new songs) didn't get as much attention? Like you mentioned, this EP was probably more about TEN, which is why the focus was on their effort. Plus, a once over is to give the reader a general idea about the release, not intricate details.

Still, I'm sure this could have been better. Throw some suggestions out if you have them.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos