AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Lovedrug - Wild Blood Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 7.25
Production 7.75
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 73%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8
Production 9.75
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 90%
Inside AP.net

Lovedrug - Wild Blood

Reviewed by: Jason Gardner (03/19/12)
Lovedrug - Wild Blood
Record Label - Self-Released / American Dream (Vinyl)
Release Date - March 6, 2012

Some records make themselves great by encompassing diversity around a particular genre. Others find a home in a certain vibe and while not quite as diversified are able to translate that vibe into something not only enjoyable, but ultimately relatable. Lovedrug’s new LP Wild Blood is a prime example of the latter. While certainly not a one-trick pony or a commanding race horse, the warmly glowing guitar melodies and smooth vocals make this worthy of a spin during a sun-soaked summer’s drive.

Lovedrug’s command of melody is what drives Wild Blood deep into your memory. The titular opener sounds like a loop, but its infectious guitar lines are tough to shake off when paired with steady, confident drumming. The chorus is what seals the deal though, as vocal melodies weave around these guitar line and create a web of optimism. “Pink Champagne” boasts similar vibes, using a solid rhythm section to back the sparse melodies that seemingly hit just as smoothly before bursting open with the chorus. Vocally, this one is a little hit and miss to anchor the track, as it would be nice to see guitarist/vocalist Michael Shepard open some of these lines up a bit more. Shepard’s poeticism is certainly appreciative though, as his wordplay and bouncing back and forth between that and dropping golden hooks (“Premonition”) only bolster the strength of many of these songs rather than dilute them with goofy metaphors and missed opportunities.

The acoustic-led “Girl” seems a better fit for the slightly shaking vocals, adding some light instrumentation in the form of strings to bolster the apexing chorus of the track. It is this structure and sound that is perfect for the slightly restrained vocal melodies heard throughout this album. “Great Divide” though shows the slower tempos don’t give the band’s sound as much justice as heard on earlier tracks, as the sparser melodies and laid-back drumming just don’t have the same effect as the toe-tap worthy songs we’ve already heard. Other switch-ups make up for it though, as the cadence-like drumming pushing “We Were Owls” is simple, yet strangely entrancing given a lack of cymbals and leniency towards repetition throughout in terms of songwriting. The tracks sunburst closing make its worth it though, with searing guitars to boot.

The only real qualm I can see with Wild Blood lies in perhaps the tendency to restrain things across the board perhaps a little too much. It doesn’t always sound that way, as a number of these tracks bring huge, bright choruses with vocal lines that shoot to the sky. But it would be nice to hear a little more vocal variety here and there. Sure, a song like the buzzing “Dinosaur” harnesses the low-brow vocals nicely under a veil of clicking rim hits and noodling guitars, but Shepard doesn’t hide that he can sing on Wild Blood – and the album would benefit from him perhaps taking a few risks in that department.

The interesting thing about Wild Blood lies in that it is incredibly easy to get sucked into the looping guitar melodies and overall sunny vibes this album gives off, even if the overall progression of structures and ideas tends to lend itself to only a handful of branches. But while Wild Blood isn’t some re-invention of summertime indie-rock, it is still a strong album you’ll be hard pressed to get out of your head.

Check It!Facebook
Buy It on Vinyl

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30.
11:16 AM on 03/19/12
steve-0
i think youre an idiot
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
have only heard a couple songs off this and it didnt really grab me. I keep waiting for them to make an album as great as "Everything Starts Where it Ends" and I guess its just not gonna happen....
11:35 AM on 03/19/12
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
This is what I was wanted after "Everything Stars Where It Ends".

I love it.
11:39 AM on 03/19/12
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Only 7's and 7.25's on this review? Are you kidding me? This album is brilliant. Title track sounds so JEW it's ridiculous, but so damn good at the same time.
11:50 AM on 03/19/12
GrapesIndigo
User Info.
This has a lower rating than the new say anything record. Shocked. Anyways, this record is really great.
12:01 PM on 03/19/12
drudo182
You Are Not Alone
User Info.
I miss the piano this band used to incorporate into their tunes but I love this record overall. One of the bright spots of the year. They never really disappoint.

Would give it a solid 4 to 4.5.
12:24 PM on 03/19/12
ibelieveinjake
i have a headache
User Info.
Jason - I'm curious, how do you think the reworked versions of songs from the EP (Pink Champagne, Ladders, Owls, etc.) held up to the originals?
12:37 PM on 03/19/12
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
I really liked the album, and agree with some of your points, but not all:

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/cult...rug-wild-blood
12:58 PM on 03/19/12
cbaksa
www.acommonyear.com
User Info.
Does anyone else hear the odd way he pronounces "s" sounds? It's like he's got a big wad of gum in his mouth or something. I'm not saying this facetiously - I honestly just want to know if anyone else notices it or if I'm going insane...
01:27 PM on 03/19/12
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
Nice review. Really digging this record
01:39 PM on 03/19/12
Jason Gardner
facedesk.jpg
User Info.
Only 7's and 7.25's on this review? Are you kidding me? This album is brilliant. Title track sounds so JEW it's ridiculous, but so damn good at the same time.

Im stingy with my scores.
01:46 PM on 03/19/12
Jason Gardner
facedesk.jpg
User Info.
This has a lower rating than the new say anything record. Shocked. Anyways, this record is really great.

Drew is entitled to his opinion, but my opinion of that album is much more harsh. Would have honestly gotten a score in the 40-50 range from me.
01:54 PM on 03/19/12
sweetforever
User Info.
Currently my AOTY, love this album to death.
01:57 PM on 03/19/12
indiesuperman
User Info.
Wow! Most disappointing review I've read in a long time. It reads kind of like the album wasn't given the attention it deserves before the review was written. This album absolutely deserves a higher rating. Mid-high 80s at least. There no doubt it's going to be one of the best albums of the year in my book.
02:16 PM on 03/19/12
Jason Gardner
facedesk.jpg
User Info.
Jason - I'm curious, how do you think the reworked versions of songs from the EP (Pink Champagne, Ladders, Owls, etc.) held up to the originals?

In general I liked these versions more. Pink champagne especially. The reworked production helps them fit in a little better too.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests