AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Minus the Bear - Planet of Ice Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.75
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 9.5
Production 10
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 94%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.67
Musicianship 9.61
Lyrics 8.81
Production 9.11
Creativity 9.58
Lasting Value 9.19
Reviewer Tilt 9.28
Average: 92%
Inside AP.net

Minus the Bear - Planet of Ice

Reviewed by: aolsux (09/22/07)
Minus the BearPlanet of Ice
Record Label: Suicide Squeeze Records
Release Date: August 21, 2007

Through the depths of album releases, sitting neatly at the end of summer vacation, Suicide Squeeze Records released Minus the Bear’s third full release, Planet of Ice. This chilling array of tracks froze solid in August as gold among many other precious gems. Minus the Bear, an indie rock band from Seattle, Washington, opened my eyes to their sound two summers ago with their sophomore release Menos el Oso. During the last two years, Menos el Oso grew to my top ten list of favorite albums ever and arguably the best album to listen to at night while driving. So as I begin this review for Planet of Ice, one can believe the anticipation that built from their last release to this release in August.

“Buying Luck.” With a fanfare-like keyboard intro, Jake Snider opens with his signature wispy vocal power blaring the phrase, “What have you done?” with such veracity that the time continuum seems to stop. Opening up our ears for close to five minutes of audio luminosity, "Ice Monster" sets the slower pace. With lyrical quips like, “I could give fuck all what you do to me,” this song adds to Snider’s anger for a certain unknown female. Ending the song at just over four minutes, the instrumentation begins breaking up, pushing right into their first single from Planet of Ice, “Knights.” During recent MTV exposure, the majestic “Knights” showcases classic Minus the Bear sound.

The median song, “Dr. L’ling,” I had sampled months prior to the album dropping, and it had me stumped (Patrick Stumped?). I asked myself a question with this track: “How could the band that released “Pachuca Sunrise” change their sound so much and still manage to pull it off?” Well, because they are Minus the Fucking Bear.

Fast forward to my favorite song, “When We Escape.” Starting off quietly, the ambiance is set for a sensual mood. With lyrics such as, “…your dress is begging to come off…” the more intimate lyrics show a different side of Minus the Bear that clearly is the apex of the album.

The ten songs on Planet of Ice give me a shiver listening to the arctic sounds of the Seattle based band. It made me feel great when I opened the September 20, 2007 issue of Rolling Stone and noticed that Planet of Ice was six on the countdown for the Record Exchange in Boise, ID (not meaning much but enough to get some exposure sitting right next to Rhapsody’s Top Ten Tracks’ Rhianna’s “Umbrella”) With such a respect for every song on the album and for every song in their discography, Minus the Bear’s latest album Planet of Ice congeals the competition for best summer releases.

Additional InfoTrack Listing
01. Burying Luck
02. Ice Monster
03. Knights
04. White Mystery
05. Dr. L’ling
06. Part 2
07. Throwing Shapes
08. When We Escape
09. Double Vision Quest
10. Lotus

Mixed And Produced by: Matt Cayles

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
10:26 PM on 09/24/07
Gumbyjag
Everything Evil
User Info.
Incredible album, alright review. I like how you put in your personal backstory but you didn't explain the album as much, only a few of the songs. This is definitely in my top 10 this year. I was disappointed at first but I've already come around to loving it. Dr. L'ling is my favorite.
06:27 AM on 09/25/07
dez55
User Info.
I have to say Minus the Bear is in my top ten all time fave bands because they changed their sound but still carry the same overall tone.

And the lead singer's name is Jake, by the way.
08:49 AM on 09/25/07
lilRIPsta
User Info.
u like Menos el Oso more than Highly Refined Pirates?? blashphemy. jk, ur opinion.
09:16 PM on 09/25/07
hoss pinkerton
flunkerton champion
User Info.
Cause they're minus the fucking bear? right on, man
excellent release, top 10 this year.
11:24 PM on 09/25/07
adam289
all lost in the supermarket
User Info.
pretty good album
07:14 PM on 09/26/07
Vismund_Cygnus
User Info.
This album is sheer brillance. One of the best albums of 2007.
10:18 PM on 09/27/07
aolsux
phase reverse
User Info.
And the lead singer's name is Jake, by the way.
yes I know, the second I submitted it, I saw the misspell/mis-think of Jack vs. Jake
u like Menos el Oso more than Highly Refined Pirates?? blashphemy. jk, ur opinion.
Yes I do, HRP was raw Minus The Bear, MEO was (pun intended) highly refined sound creating perfect mixture
Cause they're minus the fucking bear? right on, man
excellent release, top 10 this year.
fuck yeah
This album is sheer brillance. One of the best albums of 2007.
indeed
07:57 PM on 09/28/07
yoyoninjagirl
Nobody's Nothing
User Info.
good album. Though its quite different from their previous releases it's still great.
05:38 AM on 09/30/07
TheArdentLove
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
As much as I like these guys, it's hard for me to get into their new album. It's not bad, I just have to be in a certain mood for it.
05:10 PM on 10/02/07
checkitfool
User Info.
Vocals don't deserve that high a rating. 6-7 in my book.
08:16 AM on 10/15/07
SenorGoat
User Info.
This is an incredible album. This band challenges itself and i love it. They will never remake the same album over and over. This is by far one of the best releases of the year. It will probably fall in the top 3 by the time the year is up.
10:15 AM on 12/17/07
cockers
Licensed to be awesome
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Incredible album, alright review. I like how you put in your personal backstory but you didn't explain the album as much, only a few of the songs. This is definitely in my top 10 this year. I was disappointed at first but I've already come around to loving it. Dr. L'ling is my favorite.

Dr. L'ling is so sick.
07:34 AM on 12/19/07
Wyatt!!!
'Trip Fontaine'
User Info.
Bought this album yesterday.

Its so catchy and seems to be great winter seasonal record.
I might write a review for it, we'll see how it goes.
10:03 PM on 12/22/07
aolsux
phase reverse
User Info.
this album does not receive the credit it deserves, seriously, still number 1 for 07 in my book
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests