AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Andrew W.K. -- 03.05.12

Interviewed by: Jake Denning (03/25/12)
Andrew W.K. was my very first "major" interview back at Warped Tour 2010 during the very last day; I'm not going to lie, I was a little bit shell-shocked -- someone I looked up to taking the time out of their schedule to interview with me and answer questions that I got to choose. After Warped Tour, I decided that interviews were such a fun time and I wanted to continue doing them, although they did require a good amount of time and dedication; Warped 2010 was a one off opportunity for me, so I decided to start my own music interview blog -- Soundwave NW, in which I learned how to get better and better at writing and conducting interviews.

With that in mind, I was really excited to meet up once again with the man, the myth, the legend that is Andrew W.K. -- the man who really invented party rocking. I haven't been to a LMFAO gig before, but I would definitely put down any amount of money that Andrew W.K. throws a wilder and more rambunctious party than those two do. This was a really special event, because it was part of Andrew's 10th anniversary tour for his first (and most hailed album), I Get Wet -- he decided to play the entire album from front to back, with the addition of other party hits, such as "You Will Remember Tonight". What else could top off this night? Oh yeah, throw in opening act The Evaporators, fronted by none other than my favorite interviewer of all time, Nardwuar The Human Serviette!

Lookout for a brand new party album from Andrew later this year, and look for his television show, Destroy Build Destroy on Cartoon Network.

First off, welcome back to Portland, OR -- how are you today?

I'm well, thank you.

Picking up after we talked last time on the last day of the 2010 Vans Warped Tour in Hillsboro (OR), you mentioned you'd be going on stage with Bring Me The Horizon later on that night. Now, aside from that being completely awesome, stuff got pretty crazy while you were on stage; Jona [Weinhofen] got completely naked, and the rest of the band proceeded to smash all their equipment and throw it out into the crowd. Did this totally catch you off guard? What do you remember from that set?

No, they didn't tell me about THAT. I was pretty impressed, very full blown performance, and I was privileged to be up there with them. I did do my best to keep my clothes on my body...atleast until I went to bed.

Looking through some recent news of yours, I noticed you're the rock n' roll representative for the Oslo Snowboarding Championships, and wrote the party anthem to the games, "Go Go Go Go". How did you get involved with this intense event?

Well, the band Turbonegro (who is from Norway) recommended me to the folks organizing the world championships, because they were looking for a musical ambassador that could not only create music for the event, but spread the news about the event all over the world beyond Norway. I was very thankful to be chosen, especially since I haven't learned how to Snowboard very well yet; it's great to be involved with skills that I CAN contribute.

You mentioned last time we talked that your wife, Cherie Lily, is an incredible snowboarder. Do you think she'll teach you this time around with the event?

She's been trying for quite some time to teach me; I think one day i'll finally get it, it just takes alot of practice. I just don't have the natural talent that she and other athletes have, they are really inspiring, so I will get it one day.

Also remember you put out a track with Matt & Kim and Soulja Boy ("I'm A Goner") about a year ago-- how was that experience?

It was a dream come true, really. I had met Matt & Kim in Australia, despite all of us both living in New York, and that's when we first got the opportunity to hang out and spent time together. I had the dream with somehow making music with Soulja Boy, but I wasn't sure how to do it and get in contact with him; but when everything came together, I felt like it was very destined, and was very grateful for Matt & Kim for bringing us all together.

This tour is special, because it's the 10th Anniversary of "I Get Wet", which you'll be playing from front to back. What sort of vision did you have for this tour?

Just to take advantage of having the ability to do a full blown tour. I'm sure as you'd remember, we had the ability to play shows, but to do a headliner, it was harder because of problems that I got involved in -- but we solved alot of those problems and it dovetailed very nicely with 10 years of existence of Andrew W.K. goes, but it's just the beginning of much much more. Even though it's been 10 years, I still feels like the start in the best way.

On this tour, you brought The Evaporators as main support; and for those who don't know who they are, one of my all-time favorite interviewers Nardwuar fronts that band. What led for you to bring these guys out?

You know, that was a true coincidence, because I wrote a song with Nardwuar, "I Hate Being Late (When I'm Early)" for their new Evaporators album...which I believe actually comes out tomorrow. We got the idea of doing a show with them, which turned into these three shows [on this tour], then some special events in Texas. He is someone that I consider an inspiration, in terms of an self-actualized individual who is completely unique and completely entertaining. Also, i've become friends with him beyond all that, which has been an absolute pleasure.

Your website mentions you're working on a book; can you tell us what this book is all about and when we can expect to see it on shelves?

As soon as it's done, i'll put it out. I want to put this album out first, and then the book. It'll be a book about partying, basically.

Last time we talked, you mentioned you were writing and recording for your brand new Party album; I see it's currently being mixed, but can you describe to everyone what this album is going to be like? Is there a title for it yet?

No, I don't have alot of specifics, it'll be a rock and roll album, i've been working on it for a few years now. There's some issues from time to time that have gotten in the way, silly business and contractual stuff; those have been resolved, and now we've been able to make alot more headway [for the album]. Once we get back from this world tour in June, i'll get back in the studio back home in New York and we'll continue working on this album and finish it up, and then head out on the road again.

Are you still doing your show, Destroy Build Destroy on Cartoon Network, or is that done?

I believe it's still on, they're still playing episodes. We just finished season 3 last spring, and I believe they're still re-running those episodes.

Are you planning on shooting any new episodes after this world tour?

No not yet.

Almost exactly two years ago you held a public event called "Ask Andrew W.K. anything", and you mentioned that you're the same Andrew W.K. that has been here since the beginning -- is it frustrating to have people consistently not take you at your word?

No, I mean, I understand the confusion about that. I made some really poor choices on how to handle those questions, especially that event; I don't blame anyone else, but I followed the advice of some folks that I trust, it just happened not be the right way or the words to put out there...after that I tried to fix that with some other poor methods. I just try to ignore all of that, and I encourage everyone to forget that ever happened. I'm willing to answer any questions the best I can; there's a few restrictions, but I don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to ask questions.

On a lighter note, if you could party with any living celebrity or person in general, who would it be and why?

I saw this guy up the road earlier today, we looked pretty freaky, it was on the way to the hotel to take showers and do laundry. He had a pretty freaky vibe; I don't know his name, he had many different layers of clothes on...he looked like a marshmellow man. He had a thin face, so you could tell he wasn't fat...it's hard to describe him. He had this long hair, he was hanging out under this overpass; I don't think he would be considered a celebrity, but I certainly won't forget him.

What's one book and one band that you would recommend to anyone that follows your music and why?

I would recommend the book "The Conspiracy Against The Human Race" by Thomas Ligotti; for me, it presented ways of thinking that I hadn't encountered before, and that's always a fun experience. It's an intense one, so watch out. I'd recommend all his books, but this one's a fun to start with.

As for a band, Lungfish. They're just one of the greatest bands of all time, great riffs, great performers, everything about it.

Anything else you'd like to add before we wrap up?

Thank you very much, it's been a pleasure to talk with you again, and to everyone reading this on Absolutepunk in general.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18.
05:23 AM on 03/26/12
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
This is awesome
06:40 AM on 03/26/12
Spencer Control
Now we are all sons of bitches
User Info.
I love this man.
08:02 AM on 03/26/12
bradsonemanband
Change To Fire/Cootie Catcher
User Info.
doubled
11:16 AM on 03/26/12
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"Awesome" and "Bring Me The Horizon" really don't go together.
11:17 AM on 03/26/12
bobcatbob18
Hang your secrets
User Info.
What a swell fella.
11:29 AM on 03/26/12
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
Nice interview, I've always laughed at the AWK conspiracy stuff, of course it's the same guy.
12:56 PM on 03/26/12
domotime2
User Info.
im still confused.
01:01 PM on 03/26/12
crutchfield
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nice interview, I've always laughed at the AWK conspiracy stuff, of course it's the same guy.

Except that he said it himself that hes a hired guy. And early w.k. doesnt look much like current w.k.
01:02 PM on 03/26/12
LastDeclaration
mmm tasty
User Info.
how does someone get a job as a journalist without knowing that 'a lot' is two words? how does someone even graduate high school without knowing that?
02:35 PM on 03/26/12
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
Except that he said it himself that hes a hired guy. And early w.k. doesnt look much like current w.k.
It's him man, same guy, only one, original, sole Andrew WK. Same dude. He's not as jacked as before, that's all.
02:36 PM on 03/26/12
CarouselBoy
Not everything, not yet
User Info.
I'm not an expert on interviews but I feel like a lot of interviews are done like a conversation, meaning you segue into new topics because they relate somehow to to previous question. This interview mostly jumped around and maybe since its short there's no other way to do it. My two cents it just seemed disjointed. Otherwise good questions
04:00 PM on 03/26/12
Noodlemane
User Info.
how does someone get a job as a journalist without knowing that 'a lot' is two words? how does someone even graduate high school without knowing that?
How does someone get a job as a journalist without knowing that 'a lot' is two words? How does someone even graduate high school without knowing that?
04:12 PM on 03/26/12
LastDeclaration
mmm tasty
User Info.
How does someone get a job as a journalist without knowing that 'a lot' is two words? How does someone even graduate high school without knowing that?
OMG I FORGOT TO CAPITALIZE THE FIRST LETTERS OF MY SENTENCES?!?! WEIRD I THOUGHT I WAS AN ANONYMOUS POSTER IN AN INFORMAL FORUM AND NOT A JOURNALIST PUBLISHING AN ARTICLE

also, if you really wanted to pwn me you would have changed my apostrophes to quotation marks.
04:20 PM on 03/26/12
Noodlemane
User Info.
OMG I FORGOT TO CAPITALIZE THE FIRST LETTERS OF MY SENTENCES?!?! WEIRD I THOUGHT I WAS AN ANONYMOUS POSTER IN AN INFORMAL FORUM AND NOT A JOURNALIST PUBLISHING AN ARTICLE

also, if you really wanted to pwn me you would have changed my apostrophes to quotation marks.
I started to, but I thought it would be over the top...
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests