AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The All-American Rejects - Kids in the... Album Cover

The All-American Rejects - Kids in the...

Reviewed by
The All-American RejectsKids in the Street
Record Label: Interscope Records
Release Date: March 26, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
It’s been a long four years since when the world came down for The All-American Rejects. Following their third release, which received very mixed reviews to say the least, the Rejects have been far from quiet. Playing a summer of Warped Tour, wrapping up tours with Blink-182 and Taking Back Sunday, even doing a jam for Alice in Wonderland, the four guys have been hard at work.

The result of all of this hard work is Kids in the Street, the hotly anticipated follow-up to When The World Comes Down. Teaming up with Greg Wells, the mastermind behind Adele, makes the production more crisp than ever this time around, allowing Tyson and the boys to expand their sound to unprecedented territories. They experiment with synth effects on the effectively titled “Fast & Slow.” The title track effectively meshes all of this experimentation into the perfect single, as crisp guitar tones, groovy synthesizers, and an infectious vocal delivery yield to create one of the best tracks in entire Rejects’ discography. And single “Beekeeper’s Daughter” has all the elements of a 90’s beach jam, incorporating horns to add the final touch.

Combining the hooks and melodies of Move Along with the youth of The All-American Rejects and tempo of When The World Comes Down in ideal fashion, Kids in the Street has something for everyone. A funky guitar riff, old-fashioned tempo, and vocal grit transform “Walk Over Me” into a potentially huge – no, colossal – track made for sold-out 90’s arenas. Those looking for that enticing chorus will be immediately pleased with the opening “Someday’s Gone.” Ritter’s vocals have never sounded better. His suave persona and confidence need not be understated – this is the record that proves Ritter’s skill as a frontman; he’s a star.

The quartet also isn’t afraid to change tempos up this time around. The luring “Bleed Into Your Mind” never has to build up into a huge chorus or hook to get your attention, while the building “Gonzo” transforms into one of the biggest tracks on the record, with a racy synth and amatory guitar effects making the final minute absolutely stunning. Similarly, Ritter rides a fancy guitar riff to reach the build-up on the penultimate “Affection.” It’s this pacing and experimentation with time signatures that really make each track stand out throughout the record.

Rather unexpectedly, while the Rejects pretty much stay in up-beat rock ‘n roll territory for the most part, the final “I For You” has more a folk-rock feel to it. Simple guitar plucks relay Ritter’s calmly slurred performance, as Kids in the Street ends on an unexpectedly tranquil note, proving yet again that the guys are using any trick they have up their sleeves.

As Kids in the Street comes to an end, it demands further listens – namely due to how much each track has going on. The pacing, timing, tempos, and instrumentation on every track make each number stand out. As a result, this is the record that defines The All-American Rejects as more than just a “pop” or “rock” band – they’re here to rock ‘n roll and keep their name, and they sure as hell aren’t about to let anyone stop them. If Move Along got the name in lights, it’s Kids in the Street that ensures The All-American Rejects to be burning bright for years to come.

8/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 64
10:20 PM on 03/26/12
bandnamexmyname
&^%^&
User Info.
This is the best AAR album, though I still don't like all of it.
10:22 PM on 03/26/12
camperfrequency
Troy and Abed in the Morning!
User Info.
Can't wait to hear it. I enjoyed When the World Comes Down for the most part. Had some standout tracks in the AAR library.
10:23 PM on 03/26/12
Nardes
User Info.
Phenomenal album and thank you for noting Gonzo and how brilliant that song is!
10:27 PM on 03/26/12
AvengeCasper
User Info.
very solid review, Ryan.

I couldn't agree more.

Affection, 3:00 crescendo is SPOT on. I really enjoy, "Fast and Slow", "Kids in the Street". Fantastic synths + production.
10:33 PM on 03/26/12
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
I've loved this band since the self-titled came out, and everything since, but this one still needs to grow on me a bit. I like the songs themselves quite a bit, but the album as a whole lacks cohesiveness. Maybe I just need some more time with it though.

Also, I For You is beautiful.
10:46 PM on 03/26/12
Drewmosabi
User Info.
Not sure of the version in the states but the AUS release has five bonus tracks. Four being demo's and the song drown next to me. A great add on to an all ready stellar album.
10:55 PM on 03/26/12
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
I loved the first two albums so much, hated their third, and I should hate this one, there's no "swing swing", "the last song", "move along", 11:11" type songs, but I love it. AAR just created an album of a music genre that i typically stay away from, but I like
11:02 PM on 03/26/12
thandall92
User Info.
AAR are just plain solid. Love them or hate them, they're good at what they do and they've grown as a band in all the right ways. I'm stoked to listen to this album; a band like this doesn't disappoint.
11:15 PM on 03/26/12
MyFriendsOver
Your pictures are already burned.
User Info.
Quality review. It has made me consider listening to a record that I had previously nearly ruled out. The question for me is whether this album will keep them in the pop radio spotlight.
11:42 PM on 03/26/12
Acad08
@explorerbri
User Info.
Stillwater, OK represent! This album is SO good. In my opinion, the best since the self-titled.
05:17 AM on 03/27/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
fucking great album.
05:28 AM on 03/27/12
LGFUAD21
User Info.
I've only listened to this album once so far. But I can already tell it'll be one of those records that gets stronger with each listen. Absolutely love somedays gone and at first expected the whole album to follow in that format but no. Its got a really nice layered and 80s feel. For me it'll be like Anarchy My Dear. It'll take some nurturing but I can tell I'll love it eventually. So far I think Beekeepers Daughter is the weakest song. To me it is like a watered down Gives You Hell. On anither note. Personally I really liked their last record. I think Another Heart Calls is one of the most perfectly composed songs
05:32 AM on 03/27/12
Quijiba
User Info.
I have never been a huge AAR fan but this album is pretty great. I couldn't listen to all of Move Along but this is a pretty solid listen start to finish.
06:24 AM on 03/27/12
Turkeylegz
C'est La Vie
User Info.
I loved the first two albums so much, hated their third, and I should hate this one, there's no "swing swing", "the last song", "move along", 11:11" type songs, but I love it. AAR just created an album of a music genre that i typically stay away from, but I like
This.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version