AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Money News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

How Do Musicians Earn a Living?

Posted by - 12:06 PM on 03/27/12
An awesomely thorough study on how musicians make money has been published by The Future of Music Coalition.
From the ArticleFor musicians that perform (which the majority of those studied consisted of), live performance is the essential revenue stream. In nearly every instance, a performing musician's annual income is highly dependent on the number of shows they played. Live performance is not only important because it is a creative choice (all of the subjects indicated that they enjoy playing music for live audiences), but because it is also a controllable source of income.

Direct Study Links1) Jazz Bandleader-Composer
2) Indie Rock Composer-Performer
3) Jazz Sideman-Bandleader
4) Professional Orchestra Player
5) Contemporary Chamber Ensemble

Submitted by Meeze

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 31
12:08 PM on 03/27/12
t00latef0rr0ses
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
User Info.
I put graphs and data like this together all day. I'll read this later...
12:11 PM on 03/27/12
lp670sv
Go Sabres
User Info.
No surprises there
12:13 PM on 03/27/12
camperfrequency
Troy and Abed in the Morning!
User Info.
Pretty interesting read
12:24 PM on 03/27/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
As fans: Buy physical when you can, pirate when you can't, but always get to shows.
12:26 PM on 03/27/12
blindrider529
***NICKEL CREEK*** <--GO LISTEN NOW
User Info.
Musicians earn a living? But they are supposed to be dead broke! Any band that makes a profit is clearly anti-DIY and not worthy.

12:28 PM on 03/27/12
MJSchmidt
Hang 'em high or not at all
User Info.
As fans: Buy physical when you can, pirate when you can't, but always get to shows.
I would also add promoting/recommending bands in respective manner to the always category.
12:34 PM on 03/27/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I would also add promoting/recommending bands in respective manner to the always category.

True that. That's why I post here and have my own blog. Good point. Although my friends know thar I'm the "music guy" so sometimes I get sick of recommending shit cause I feel like I'm being pretentious and annoying. I just want to tell then what I'm listening to is all. Usually I'll just play stuff while they're in my car and let them ask what it is.

But yeah I love recommending and sharing new music with people.
12:38 PM on 03/27/12
Dustin Harkins
I forgot that happened
User Info.
It's clear how musicians make money. Everyone, listen to Reasonable Doubt.
12:46 PM on 03/27/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
It's clear how musicians make money. Everyone, listen to Reasonable Doubt.

LOL. Throw on Super Tight by UGK right after.
01:12 PM on 03/27/12
MJSchmidt
Hang 'em high or not at all
User Info.
True that. That's why I post here and have my own blog. Good point. Although my friends know thar I'm the "music guy" so sometimes I get sick of recommending shit cause I feel like I'm being pretentious and annoying. I just want to tell then what I'm listening to is all. Usually I'll just play stuff while they're in my car and let them ask what it is.

But yeah I love recommending and sharing new music with people.
Yeah, I totally get what you are saying haha. There is definitely a fine line between recommending something in conversation and being overwhelming. For music lovers such are ourselves, we get stoked to talk music and sometimes it can be a bit much for those that are more casual listeners for lack of a better word. Unless there is a good time in conversation to bring something up, I will just shoot out a harmless tweet of something that caught my attention. I will also do something on my Facebook page for a band if they catch my attention and I need more characters than Twitter allows.
01:16 PM on 03/27/12
SmallFrailBoy
User Info.
Jason, this is awesome. Thanks for posting.
01:17 PM on 03/27/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Yeah, I totally get what you are saying haha. There is definitely a fine line between recommending something in conversation and being overwhelming. For music lovers such are ourselves, we get stoked to talk music and sometimes it can be a bit much for those that are more casual listeners for lack of a better word. Unless there is a good time in conversation to bring something up, I will just shoot out a harmless tweet of something that caught my attention. I will also do something on my Facebook page for a band if they catch my attention and I need more characters than Twitter allows.

Haha excellent and I do the same (except I don't have Twitter). Glad I'm not the only one with this 'prolem.'
01:30 PM on 03/27/12
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
tl;dr needs more inforgraphics
01:59 PM on 03/27/12
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
What about the sexy sax man, how does he make his money?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos